• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's been said plenty of times but I'd love for the crowd to belt out Waltzing Matilda just before kick off! :)

But yeah a chant of some sort would be good. I can see "WAL-LA-BIES!" Being your 3 syllable chant that will be most likely Tang.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah it does. Not sure why it's so hard hey? :-S
I'll try and recruit a few randoms around me at the Brisbane Test and see if I've had enough beers to get it started but not too many that people just laugh at me! Haha!

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
I hate Waltzing Matilda as a sporting anthem. Its a bloke who steals a sheep and instead of copping it on the chin kills himself. How is that inspiring?

I know it has history, John Williamson and the Wallabies success at the turn of the millenium. Just needed to get it off my chest. I think "Bound for Botany Bay" is a little better given the tour, but more people know Waltzing Matilda, so it wins because of that.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
"Bound for Botany Bay"
A song about English convicts that the Lions fans could sing just as easy as the home fans.

Waltzing Matilda is a better option.

If I was supporting the Aussie's I would go for something like "I still call Australia home" as more of the younger rugby fans know the words. They are Gen Y and would know the version from Tv and would not know the words to Waltzing Matilda which has not been sung before a Wallabies game in a long time.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
In response to the lions fans probably chanting Liooonss Liooonss as their team comes out onto the field I will be standing up and pointing at the Wallabies as they come out and belting "Waalllaabies Wallaabiesss" at the top of my lungs. If anyone wishes to join in it would be great.

I also intend to start banging out waltzing matilda. See you at the First & Third test gents

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
A song about English convicts that the Lions fans could sing just as easy as the home fans.

Waltzing Matilda is a better option.

The 'little better' was meant to indicate that "bound for botany bay" was also a poor choice, but better than a song about a sheep stealing coward.

I want a song that the fans can all sing, I recognise the power a crowd can have united in a song/chant. I just think Waltzing Matilda is a dumb one, I realise I'm in the minority so will just shut up now, but I just needed to vent.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure it's about lyrical appropriateness. It's a good song because a lot of the AUS Rugby public identify with it. Its also a good song because it is a rousing tune that a crowd can really get into. Ring a rosy or eeny meeny aren't really appropriate for kids but that doesn't stop people from singing them to kids. ;-)

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Ran into a few of the Lions boys as they were leaving Hunter Stadium after a training session tonight (I was leaving the gym that is next to the stadium, wasn't doing any stalking :D) , they were all in very high spirits and had a bit of banter with us about our weather. Seems like they're enjoying being in Newcastle aka god's country.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if anybody has given thought to what the tactics are the Brumbies will take into their fixture with the Lions. Given the loss of some significant members of their pack I strongly suggest you will see a very modified game plan from them. I do not think that you will see them kicking for the corners as they usually do given they do not have Moore, Mowen or Kimlin. Also the loss of Alexander and Moore and the lack of form/injury to Palmer means that the scrum will be significantly weaker as well.

I am left wondering if the Brumbies will try to run the Lions as well, and think that they have the players to be able to execute such a plan. I certainly think they could struggle with their usual more conservative game plans.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 'little better' was meant to indicate that "bound for botany bay" was also a poor choice, but better than a song about a sheep stealing coward.

I want a song that the fans can all sing, I recognise the power a crowd can have united in a song/chant. I just think Waltzing Matilda is a dumb one, I realise I'm in the minority so will just shut up now, but I just needed to vent.

I concur about Waltzing Matilda. It may be more appropriate for the NZ Rugby team supporters to sing about a person who likes kidnapping sheep.

I firmly believe that all 5 and 6 year olds should be taught the words to "Khe Sanh" and/or "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again" at primary school. Lets get the stadia rocking.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
In 01 the song belted around Sydney Olympic Stadium that really got up the Pom/Taff/Paddy/Sweatie noses was 'I'd rather be a Paki than a Pom', but its not kosher anymore.

We need a new non racist chant to get up the Poms noses.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
I concur about Waltzing Matilda. It may be more appropriate for the NZ Rugby team supporters to sing about a person who likes kidnapping sheep.

I firmly believe that all 5 and 6 year olds should be taught the words to "Khe Sanh" and/or "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again" at primary school. Lets get the stadia rocking.

I believe Khe Sanh is very popular with Dingo -

"So I looked across the country from end to end
I tried to find a fly-half to settle in, whom my mixed up plans could mend
I had anyone do the ol'gig, a-flyin' Beale when I could
But the nightlife nearly drove him round the bend
And I travelled round the land from year to year
And each one found me winless, one more year the worse for wear
And I've been back to Brisvegas, you know the answer sure ain't there
But I'm driftin' to New South Wales to check things out again-ain
Well the last player out of Sydney's already in
And only seven flyn' hours, they'll be landin' from Hong Kong
And there ain't nothin' like the misses from a jaded defence