• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Long Term Combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
And that is precisely where Nic White has it over both Genia and Phipps. His service from the base of the scrum is the best.

It isn't. He'd be behind both Prior and Stirzaker in that regard. He's got an excellent kicking game, a nose for the tryline, defends well and he has an above average passing game. I'd argue that he's probably the most well rounded scrumhalf we have, although he lacks that transformative game-breaking ability Genia has in full flight. And frankly, he's not in great form at the moment either.

Do have to wonder how much of the drop in form for both players is related to the fact that they're getting slow and often completely unprotected ball at the breakdown.

T

Train Without a Station

If I was Wallabies coach, Pocock would always be the first name on my teamsheet. Hooper ist a decent player, but leagues behind Pocock.

Judging by Link's selections and game plan I wouldn't be surprised if he went for Hooper over Pocock to start. I get the impression he values Hooper's running and linking game by continually selecting him over Gill who he would be much more familiar with. I'd wager he's playing the exact game Link wants out of him due to the fact Gill appears to be almost superfluous to the team.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think Phipps has ever played as badly for the Wallabies as Genia and White did on the weekend against England.

Genia's test winning percentage is now down to 44.11% :eek:

Phipps regularly plays that badly, and in situations with a lot less pressure on him.

Genia is overworked, out of form and playing behind the worst tier 1 forward pack in international rugby.

Leaving him at home for this tour was probably a better option. But dropping him at this stage isn't going to achieve anything much.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i personally think it is astounding how much the wallabies miss pocock and either higgers or palu at the back of the scrum, higgers off his superb super 15 form last year.
I was unsure of where pocock would sit coming back into the squad next year, but for mine, the RC and the last test have just confirmed that hooper, while good, is not pocock's worry.
as much as i love his hard work and ability to get involved, my openside flanker should be stealing as much ball as possible, securing as much ball as possible and getting as few penalties as possible. hooper does neither. great player, but massive step down from pocock and we need pocock to help win the breakdown.
i also think both higgers and palu provided the power, pace and athleticism required of a modern 8 and i don't think mowen offers two of those (pace and athleticism).
lastly, i think the second row needs a shakeup. now is time for some debuts, there are a lot of good second rowers out there and i am utterly unimpressed with timani and horwill. i'd like to see some real grunt come in.
Douglas is too slow IMO. I'd like to see pyle brought in. gread hands, great pace and he is tough and doesn't shy from contact. a tough loss losing kimlin to overseas as he's a great back rower and a great second rower when needed.

i am broadly happy with the backs and i think genia needs time off as well as better forwards.
i will leave the front row to someone else.
To'omua growing every game, folau needs to pass and he's nearly there, tomane is getting better and bette. can't wait for speight.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Back to long term combinations.

Godwin and Kuridrani in the centres.

Skelton and Pyle in the second row.

Browning, Higgers and Pocock/Hooper/Gill.

Calling them all now.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Judging by Link's selections and game plan I wouldn't be surprised if he went for Hooper over Pocock to start. I get the impression he values Hooper's running and linking game by continually selecting him over Gill who he would be much more familiar with. I'd wager he's playing the exact game Link wants out of him due to the fact Gill appears to be almost superfluous to the team.

Gill or Pocock will come in when there are at least one or two halfway adequate ball-runners in the pack.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Gee I'm a little surprised that To'omua appears to be missing from most of the long term midfield combinations.

He has offered something in the 12 jersey in terms of an allround game that the Wallabies haven't seen since Giteau was at his peak at inside centre. He takes on the line, spots the gap, has a genuine kicking game, probably a better defender than Gits, and has good pace. Has performed considerably better than his provincial teammate.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Gee I'm a little surprised that To'omua appears to be missing from most of the long term midfield combinations.

He has offered something in the 12 jersey in terms of an allround game that the Wallabies haven't seen since Giteau was at his peak at inside centre. He takes on the line, spots the gap, has a genuine kicking game, probably a better defender than Gits, and has good pace. Has performed considerably better than his provincial teammate.
agree

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It isn't. He'd be behind both Prior and Stirzaker in that regard. He's got an excellent kicking game, a nose for the tryline, defends well and he has an above average passing game. I'd argue that he's probably the most well rounded scrumhalf we have, although he lacks that transformative game-breaking ability Genia has in full flight. And frankly, he's not in great form at the moment either.

Do have to wonder how much of the drop in form for both players is related to the fact that they're getting slow and often completely unprotected ball at the breakdown.

I actually did mean best out of Genia, Phipps and White. While I won't argue that Stirzaker might give better service, I cannot agree that Ian Prior is superior to Nic after a very poor Super season with the Brumbies this year.

I am still not convinced that the kicking games employed by both Will and Nic weren't part of the game plan, especially the RC game where Nic replaced Will and proceeded to kick the shit out of the ball. Will is just less able to implement a good kicking game than Nic, especially those bloody atrocious box kicks. Will's abilities otherwise are up there with the best when he is in form. Unfortunately, that's not the case right now.

I think it's widelay accepted that the No 9s performance in a game is very much dependent on the quality of ball delivered by the forwards. This is one of our biggest problems atm imo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Back to long term combinations.

Godwin and Kuridrani in the centres.

Skelton and Pyle in the second row.

Browning, Higgers and Pocock/Hooper/Gill.

Calling them all now.

At this stage and into the RWC 2015, I'd have To'omua as Kuridrani's partner in the centres, but with Godwin and Lealiifano pushing him.

Would really like to see Skelton/Pyle come off, but only with Fardy at 6. Therefore backrow of Fardy, Pocock and Higgers.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nic White is not a kickbot in the style of 2011 Morne Steyn. He kicks according to plan.

In early 2012 we saw that he was running a lot and passing a lot, kicking very little. As the Brumbies game plan developed he started kicking more and more when in his own half. Even when he has a kick-happy day, it is NEVER as bad as we saw in the two RC games or in the last 15 of the England game.

Clearly McKenzie sees White as the right scrum half for a percentages game, and I agree. However, his percentages game plan is far too simple - kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, kick, Genia/Quade/Folau does some magic to score a try, kick, kick, kick...

If we wanted to play like a real test match team, Nic White is the player for that because he has good speed, a good pass, tackles well and when there is something to gain from a kick, he kicks damn well.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
At this stage and into the RWC 2015, I'd have To'omua as Kuridrani's partner in the centres, but with Godwin and Lealiifano pushing him.

Would really like to see Skelton/Pyle come off, but only with Fardy at 6. Therefore backrow of Fardy, Pocock and Higgers.
If Godwin wasnt injured he would be the 12 right now. To'omua is a good player but is really a 10 playing 12 Godwin showed this season how good he can be at 12.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I actually did mean best out of Genia, Phipps and White. While I won't argue that Stirzaker might give better service, I cannot agree that Ian Prior is superior to Nic after a very poor Super season with the Brumbies this year.

Ah right, I'm with you now. Agree White is the superior player to Prior, as a pure passer I'd take Prior over him though - that's the only point I was making. Good post though, I agree with pretty much all of it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If Godwin wasnt injured he would be the 12 right now. To'omua is a good player but is really a 10 playing 12 Godwin showed this season how good he can be at 12.

Maybe, maybe not. If he had been fit, who would he have replaced in the squad for the EOYT? Christian was then fairly settled in to the backline at 12, To'omua was taken as backup No 10, and Foley was backup No 15. I'm not sure Link would have been able to fit him in, though in my book he certainly would have deserved a spot. I probably would have taken an extra back and left one of the back rowers at home.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe, maybe not. If he had been fit, who would he have replaced in the squad for the EOYT? Christian was then fairly settled in to the backline at 12, To'omua was taken as backup No 10, and Foley was backup No 15. I'm not sure Link would have been able to fit him in, though in my book he certainly would have deserved a spot. I probably would have taken an extra back and left one of the back rowers at home.
He would have taken Harris's spot who is there at the back up 12. they said he would have been in the squad had he not been injured when the squad was announced

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Without doubt, Genia has been shite and he deserves to be dropped. Did he have a bug up his arse about being overlooked for VC? I don't know.

Players have shown glimpses of form at times though the only Wallaby to show consistent form every time he has worn the Wallaby jersey in 2013 is Fardy and he has been bloody sensational.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
When Higgers, Pocock and Palu come back from the sick bay, OZ will essentially 8 players to fit into 4 spots

Pocock
Hooper
Gill
Fardy
Mowen
Higgers
Palu
McCalman

Gill and McCalman on paper at least look to be the first names out of the race. Mowen is now the captain so demands a starting spot - and whether that's at 6 or 8 really will depend on who's fit and who's in form. Pocock will be given every opportunity to get back into the starting side, maybe not straight off the bat but will get the chance to take the 7 back. That leaves Hooper as a bench option and Fardy, Higgers and Palu fighting for one jersey.

Unless of course Fardy or Mowen are seen as genuine options to cover lock it changes this scenario. There's risks with that but it does allow more of the better players to get into the 23.

If Mowen, Fardy and Higgers are selected when Palu comes right, I can see Palu taking an overseas contract quick smart.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think Mowen is guaranteed a spot. Even though he is current captain Horwill or Pocock could take over quite easily and if Simmons is in the second row he could take over the line-out too.

But I agree with your list of 8. It comes down to a few variables:

If Simmons is running the line-out we don't need Mowen. Fardy and Higgers at 6,8 would be a great combination, effective at both the line-out and around the park. Also everyone seems to be riding off Palu - he could be first choice 8 given form.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we consider Mowen and Simmons our lineout callers, then right now Simmons gets the nod ahead of Mowen on form alone. But I think that Mowen moved to 6 will help him get better and should be done ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.