• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Stars opted to go it alone and now lack the players to compete at this level, injuries are mitigated through player depth, other Sydney teams have achieved player depth by joining with other clubs which the Stars opted not to do.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To be fair to the Stars,they opted to go alone before it had been decided where super players would play.
Had it been up to the players choice,I think the stars would be a lot stronger at the expense of the rising.
But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

T

Train Without a Station

Stars opted to go it alone and now lack the players to compete at this level, injuries are mitigated through player depth, other Sydney teams have achieved player depth by joining with other clubs which the Stars opted not to do.

I'll eat my hat if the Stars are fielding a lot of 2nd graders from other clubs next year.

Things moved quickly to set the competition up and they have been left a little short. I'm sure they're having discussions with players about opportunities in 2015. What's to say the bloke getting no game time behind Hugh Roach won't be interested in leaving the Rams for example?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I see that Fereti Sa'aga is on the bench for the Rising and will debut if he gets on the park.

He was the starting LHP for Aus Schools last year in many of their games and played the same position for Samoa in the Under 20 IRB Championships this year.

He will likely play for Oz Under 20s next year.

For many this will be the first time they see him play. Don't expect a 19 year-old prop to be a world beater in senior rugby this year, especially one who used to be a backrower, but look to see if the lad has a future.

I think he has.
I don't know how well he will go technically due to his recent switch to prop, but his general play is great. Definite name to watch.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Injury update: Smith should be back next week and Sefa is doubtful to make it back at all this season.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll eat my hat if the Stars are fielding a lot of 2nd graders from other clubs next year.

Things moved quickly to set the competition up and they have been left a little short. I'm sure they're having discussions with players about opportunities in 2015. What's to say the bloke getting no game time behind Hugh Roach won't be interested in leaving the Rams for example?

They have definitely come up short this year but as you've mentioned before TWAS the criticism is bit short sighted. If the NRC had started last year everyone would be complaining that the Stars were too good. Appart from the fact that almost all their Waratahs are either injured or have been upgraded to starting Wallabies, they have lost many of their 1st 2nd and 3rd grade locks to overseas or injuries. Looking the teams they fielded this year in SS you wonder why players in 3rd and 4th grade are selected for the stars swuad and other better players have missed out. They are truly scraping the bottom of the barrel which only goes to show the true depth of their program. I'm not a Uni supporter, I go for any team that plays against them, but I don't understand the tall poppy syndrome and why everyone wants them to be dropped, their performance in the last decade shows that they are a tier above SS and likely the rest of club rugby around Australia. As well as that at least they changed their name, can't say the same for the Vikings.

T

Train Without a Station

Current squad they are lacking depth.

Look at their commercial/financial strength and performance program. They're probably ahead of most other teams. These are the attributes that will ensure long term sustained performance. Players come and go every year. Good administration and programs last much longer.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Injury update: Smith should be back next week and Sefa is doubtful to make it back at all this season.

Wow, that's bad news for Sefa. Didn't think it was that serious, nor did I recall him going off the field against the Spirit? When we get Jonah back I'd say Tom will push to OC and run Lloyd from the bench. Veianu and Kamana on the wings.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They have definitely come up short this year but as you've mentioned before TWAS the criticism is bit short sighted. If the NRC had started last year everyone would be complaining that the Stars were too good. Appart from the fact that almost all their Waratahs are either injured or have been upgraded to starting Wallabies, they have lost many of their 1st 2nd and 3rd grade locks to overseas or injuries. Looking the teams they fielded this year in SS you wonder why players in 3rd and 4th grade are selected for the stars swuad and other better players have missed out. They are truly scraping the bottom of the barrel which only goes to show the true depth of their program. I'm not a Uni supporter, I go for any team that plays against them, but I don't understand the tall poppy syndrome and why everyone wants them to be dropped, their performance in the last decade shows that they are a tier above SS and likely the rest of club rugby around Australia. As well as that at least they changed their name, can't say the same for the Vikings.

UNIVERSITY OF CANBERRA VIKINGS, not the Tuggaranong Vikings.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Wow, that's bad news for Sefa. Didn't think it was that serious, nor did I recall him going off the field against the Spirit? When we get Jonah back I'd say Tom will push to OC and run Lloyd from the bench. Veianu and Kamana on the wings.
According to Hedger, on the wireless this morning, Sefa had an operation on his hand this week. There is a chance he might be back in time for the finals though (assuming we make the finals of course).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know how well he will go technically due to his recent switch to prop, but his general play is great. Definite name to watch.

In my eyes he could be a natural hooker even though he is 125kgs because he is naturally athletic, a good runner and has good hands, and being a cousin of the Sios he has a few hardness genes within him.

Provided he could learn to throw the ball into the lineout, that is.

TPN started in the role older than Fereti S is now. I'd like to see someone down there think of it.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I not heard much about him since his injury, but Moli Sooamalagi (spelling?) was talked up a lot during the preseason. Anybody know how he's progressing?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I not heard much about him since his injury, but Moli Sooamalagi (spelling?) was talked up a lot during the preseason. Anybody know how he's progressing?

He's another converted backrower (now a hooker for those who don't know him). He busted his ACL pre-season in a Under-20s hit-out but I haven't heard anything since.

Anybody else got news on Moli So'oaemalelagi (the curse of the ground announcer when he scored a couple of tries at Riverview a couple of years back)?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I see that Fereti Sa'aga is on the bench for the Rising and will debut if he gets on the park.

He was the starting LHP for Aus Schools last year in many of their games and played the same position for Samoa in the Under 20 IRB Championships this year.

He will likely play for Oz Under 20s next year.

For many this will be the first time they see him play. Don't expect a 19 year-old prop to be a world beater in senior rugby this year, especially one who used to be a backrower, but look to see if the lad has a future.

I think he has.

After seeing him work a few times close up this year I think he has what it takes as well. Still pretty rough around the edges but everything is there to be a very good player IMO.

Dene

Frank Nicholson (4)
Here's the competition ladder, by my tally, after the win against the Eagles and the Vikings/Stars draw.

quick.png

Unless my reasoning is flawed, Rising cannot be knocked out of the top four now.

Bring on AAMI park finals!

Edit: My reasoning may be flawed

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, no.

When I watch AFL, I want 11, 12 Goal leads before I relax.

I'm a nervous nelly.

3 games to go. Need to lock up top spot before I'm happy.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
You're #1 by 10 and you're thinking top 4 is safe!?

Some basic maths would show this is essentially correct.
#5 is the rams with 9 points, they have 3 games left. Max points they can get is 24
#6 is Queesnland country 6 points. 4 games left. If win all 4 with BPs, max they can get is 26. Melbourne only needs 1 BP out of their last few to get through
#7 are the Spirit. 5 points with 3 games left, max is 20

Having said that, I definitely do not believe in counting chickens before they hatch. We should be aiming for #1 and eyeing off a home grand final. It's what the Melboure faithful need to offset what was a very poor year from the Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.