• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My Dear Friends, I need to share something with all of yous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I LOVE AUSTRALIA!

I LOVE AUSTRALIA!

All together now!

YOU HAVE TO COME TO AUSTRALIA!

Are you feeling inspired? If not, here's a necklace!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On ya Blue.

As a true blue Aussie now, I hope like fck that you have Red Hair, otherwise if you are not a "ranga", you will not get the nickname "blue".

That's how things work over here.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
OK Jnor, pray tell, who is the most convincing? Me, or Aussie Oprah? :)

Hugh - most people call it red. A hairdresser once told methat mine was actually called cognac, but he batted for the team that won't be be enjoying soccer in Qatar so you never know what he was on about.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Oh God, I thought this was the one refuge in the country from that insane woman! There is no escape!!!!

And for the record, I probably believe her more right now but after the Xmas drinks we shall see...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Would it impress anyone if I said I knew Hugh Jackman at Uni and Nicole Kidman at High School?

Thought not.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You studied journalism at UTS? Just applied to do Masters there next sem. And no, Hugh Jackman was not the inspiration...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
OK Jnor, pray tell, who is the most convincing? Me, or Aussie Oprah? :)

Hugh - most people call it red. A hairdresser once told methat mine was actually called cognac, but he batted for the team that won't be be enjoying soccer in Qatar so you never know what he was on about.

Nice. I love your work.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Would it impress anyone if I said I knew Hugh Jackman at Uni and Nicole Kidman at High School?

Thought not.

Can top that. Year 4 class photo with Ms Kidman. Tall enough even then to be a handy lock. More ranga than Blue, too.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
not sure about Nicole, but Hugh Jackman was fullback, I think, and captain of Knox Colleges 1st 15. Pretty good sportsman apparently

I dont like having a fullback as captain, too far away.

Also Tony Abbot played prop for Sydney Uni. Hence the ears.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Konze have you ever watched a massive hit or run realised you were out of position and had the ball belted over you by the opposite 10. Worst feeling ever

its not a position for people with small concentration spans put it that way

can't think of too many captains from fullback, mils for the chiefs, geordan murphy leicester tigers, ummmm, chris paterson for a bit

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Konze have you ever watched a massive hit or run realised you were out of position and had the ball belted over you by the opposite 10. Worst feeling ever

its not a position for people with small concentration spans put it that way

Running backwards at fullback is always a bad feeling. Thinking about it is bringing back bad memories already...

But I'd say one of the worst feelings at fullback is something I'm sure you're familiar with; rain. A wet pitch means kicking, kicking means bombs, bombs usually mean getting smashed a couple of times by fat forwards or wingers on a twenty/thirty metre run up.

Was Percy ever captain at fullback for the Saffers?

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't mind rain too much it rains all the time in rugby season over here, its frost that I hate.

When its raining I can usually catch pretty decently but when its frosty or dewy the lack of rain lulls you into a false sense of security and you drop it, its so irritating.

I dont like the run up thing though that is a bit freaky, especially when someone has taken you out in the air before.

Another one is when you are about to do a kick return but you start thinking about stuff while its in the air. Really weird feeling and the ball creeps up on you and you sometimes drop it.

Did think about percy but wasn't sure as John Smit rarely got injured in that period

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
High knees will stop you getting tackled in the air most of the time, but it's usually OK because most refs are paranoid about people being tackled in the air. It's a crowd stirrer too, like a high tackle it usually gets some noise.

I've been lucky not to have to play too many cold games, but cold hands are a nightmare under a high ball. Long sleeves (NOT Skins- Skins are more slippery than real skin when you're trying to catch IMO) make a huge difference.

Then there's the usual problem of retarded wingers who take the quick throw in ridiculous circumstances. That's a nightmare.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I would hate to have Francois steyn i my team for that very reason, he always takes stupid quick throws.

I got taken out in mid air when I was 13, I stopped playing full back above school level since then.

Apart from their slippery-ness are skins helpful, if so might invest in a pair for christmas

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What is this 'kicking' and 'passing' you speak of? Do you only have these things when you have 'space'?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I dont like having a fullback as captain, too far away.

Also Tony Abbot played prop for Sydney Uni. Hence the ears.

Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Gavin Hastings was a Fullback Captain for Scotland. He wasn't a bad player but in the aftermatch function he was an awesome singer. One of rugby's true gentlemen.
On Defence he could be relied upon to be in position and not galavanting around with the loose forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.