• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My Dear Friends, I need to share something with all of yous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes the old chestnut that Kiwi sauv blanc and pinots and Aussie rieslings, shiraz and cabernets are the best in the business more or less holds for me.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Fleece them of their greenbacks, and sell them cheesy shit souvenirs.
No offence with the Kiwi shiraz, MR, but there are many fine wines from the Isles, I have never had a shiraz that really fits the bill.

don't be silly mate, none taken!

I've always followed the old Kiwi White/Aussie Red theory myself. And it's never seen me wrong.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes the old chestnut that Kiwi sauv blanc and pinots and Aussie rieslings, shiraz and cabernets are the best in the business more or less holds for me.

Except I prefer Aussie Pinots - Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula do some good ones. Not that the Kiwi ones are bad.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
'king wine snobs, the lot of you.

While the rule of thumb of Kiwi White, and Aussie red usually holds, there are pockets of excellence in the Aust Whites, and Land of the Darkness Reds. Just gotta know where to look.

And to paraphrase the Good Book, after the first half dozen, it doesn't matter what you are drinking. The one exception to this rule is South Australian Beer.:fishing

The hallmark of a real wine connysewer is their knowledge of wines beyond the conventional stereotypes and their thirst for knowledge of new, exciting and challenging wines and vintners.

La Jarse has relatives living in the LOTD, so we are sometimes treated to some vino from over there, which is not readily available over here. Last nights effort was a Syrah (that's what they call Shiraz over there) from the Gimblett Gravels, a subregion of the Hawkes Bay (My new favourite ITM team, even if they do play in horizontal Collingwood strip).:-[

A drop from Hawkes Bay makes a break from the usual Marlborough Savi Blancs and Martinborough/Otago Pinots which are about all you can get from my Irish drinking mate Dan Murphy.

Rule #1 of Chez Jarse wine consumption is "Seldom turn down a free one".

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
#1? is Senior of the Junior Jarses. Cover is blown. There are several Jarses here.

I open up one of the laptops here and type away. Generally don't bother to check whether Junior Jarse has logged out or not before posting.

Junior Jarse (#1?) is off on the town tonight, gallivanting about celebrating recent coming of age (legal drinking age), HSC results, and post schoolies second wind.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sooner or later your cunning plan would be undone!!
I hope JJ enjoys his second wind and new found freedom, and returns unscathed to Jarse-Carstle.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have just tried to log out and log in as Hugh.

Did not work as I got a 502 Bad Gateway message. Something for the technocrats to look at - Moses???

Perhaps that is why #1? did not restore the browser to "normal state" for me to login as Hugh.

Anyhoo. Having sewed large quantities of oats in Canberra many many moons ago, I find Laphroig, or a good Red helps me to sleep when JJ (#1) is out gallivanting about. I have confidence that he or his wingman will get home safely, if a little dehydrated, tired and emotional. La Jarse has sleeping issues (as most mothers do) until she hears the door bang behind him at some ungodly hour of the morning.

ATAR of 80 and a couple of Band 6's, so is relatively happy. Exceeded his expectations.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Except I prefer Aussie Pinots - Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula do some good ones. Not that the Kiwi ones are bad.

Really? That's a little surprising, given that Aussie pinots don't generally have the best reputation. Old Kent River winery in Denmark on the Southern WA coast has a great pinot, however. Bay of Fires in Tassy the same.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Really? That's a little surprising, given that Aussie pinots don't generally have the best reputation. Old Kent River winery in Denmark on the Southern WA coast has a great pinot, however. Bay of Fires in Tassy the same.

As I said, more a taste thing, rather than reputation as I have tried many from both sides, and overall prefer the Aussie ones. Not all, by the way. I have some good ones that are getting some age, and usually a fair few quaffers lying about. I find more than a couple of glasses of most Aussie shiraz or cabernets has a diabolical effect on me the next day. I've got some tasty Burgundies (not enough though) that will be good in a few years.
Orange region could produce some good pinot in years to come too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I love a good pinot, mostly with spicy food, but haven't tasted many from OZ that really blow my socks off -- but I readily accept that they do exist. I generally gravitate to the things we do best though: powerful fruit driven bold reds, that soften out a bit over time. I also love the wonderful acidity and freshness of a Clare or Eden valley riesling or a Margaret River SSB too. In fact, if you'll excuse me, I reckon I'll slip into one right now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bad gateway logout issue means ATM I can only log in to gaggerland as myself via my tiny iPhone. As much as rugbyfuture and others may call me mactard, I do prefer the S Jobs solution over the B Gates. Notwithstanding the wanky iPhone keyboard and screen interface is really only useful as an "emergency" device for gaggerland viewing. Much prefer the laptop ( along with spellchecker!).:lmao: It is a pain in the bum to "go advanced" to get smilies in the post with the iPhone interface.

Did I tell anyone that I have a wanky new iPhone4?:D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As I said, more a taste thing, rather than reputation as I have tried many from both sides, and overall prefer the Aussie ones. Not all, by the way. I have some good ones that are getting some age, and usually a fair few quaffers lying about. I find more than a couple of glasses of most Aussie shiraz or cabernets has a diabolical effect on me the next day. I've got some tasty Burgundies (not enough though) that will be good in a few years.
Orange region could produce some good pinot in years to come too.

Self and La Jarse have enjoyed several good bottles of vino from Orange and Mudgee. Underrated areas which produce surprisingly good wines.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
still bought one, therefore aided the apple machine. Personally i don't like b gates solutions either on my phones, i trust S Brin or E Schmidt solutions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You are hard to please RF.

I appointed you as Minister of Logos and Undersecretary of Graphics for Gaggerland and yet you allow Reg to produce a rather lame effort for Bam Bam to be recognised as the Gaggerland Player of the Year, or more importantly Reg did not seek approval before producing a certificate that Junior of the Junior Jarses could have produced.

I do appreciate your disapproval of Soap Dodger 7's alternate strip, not wanting to sully your collection with such an ugly jumper.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
You are hard to please RF.

I appointed you as Minister of Logos and Undersecretary of Graphics for Gaggerland and yet you allow Reg to produce a rather lame effort for Bam Bam to be recognised as the Gaggerland Player of the Year, or more importantly Reg did not seek approval before producing a certificate that Junior of the Junior Jarses could have produced.

I do appreciate your disapproval of Soap Dodger 7's alternate strip, not wanting to sully your collection with such an ugly jumper.

There have been problems with that ministry since day one...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Next year reg should ask RF to do it. also RF make sure it is massive so they can't get rid of it easily.

With regards to the england sevens away shirt It looks apalling. Don't really know why we got that, should of gone with a standard dark blue and red kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.