• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The baabaas is a cracking concept!

I am super excited about that as an opportunity.

Love the idea.

Does "contracted" include the EPS or WTG "contracts"? I hope this is just for club players. Probably current/former Aust U20, or Aust Schoolboy/Aust Schoolboy Barbars should be excluded as well.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty awesome, what would the starting team have looked like last year? And would players like Kerevi and Kuridrani have been eligible, given they weren't technically contracted last year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Love the idea.

Does "contracted" include the EPS or WTG "contracts"? I hope this is just for club players. Probably current/former Aust U20, or Aust Schoolboy/Aust Schoolboy Barbars should be excluded as well.

Why? If they're not contracted then regardless of their previous playing history they should be eligible. As for the club players. They would be the un-contracted players eligible, wouldn't they?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
hope they have a good jersey..

edit: seems strange though, on a search they have let the trademark lapse only last year: http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/australian-barbarian-rugby-club-inc/trademarks/612690/

Wonder if they've renewed. The standard Aus Baas kit (as per @Sideline Eye's camera) is good IMO. Reclaims the green as it was before being ceded to the Safas and Irish:

NSW v Baa Baas - Mon March 23 @ Viking Park, Canberra

img_0018-jpg.6005

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Heartland XV rugby in NZ is pretty old school amateur. There are stories of Bus Drivers taking their boots along to a game because from time to time they are called on to ride the pine. Their players are tradies, teachers, coppers, dentists and farmers etc that have real jobs and play just for the love of the game. There may be the odd talented athlete there who chose a career in other than professional sport, but generally there will be no former NZ Schoolboys, or U20's or players on the fast track pathway to Darkness. Just "salt of the earth" part time rugby folk, just like the old days, or is this just me with my rose coloured 1970/80's glasses on.

I think that the concept should be to reward the rugby battler. Give them the chance they've never had previously. The lad who was overlooked by the Schoolboy selectors, and hasn't been at U20 World Champs. He has got to the NRC solely by sheer grim determination and his own blood, sweat and tears. No junior Academy accelerated coaching development for them. It's all natural talent and some club mentoring and development. No favours from the Club brown paper bag system and no wardrobe full of free gear from all sorts of rep teams. He would have attended a Colts Information night when he left school, and wouldn't have had 4 or more clubs sending personalised letters to them to try and join them. He would have paid full subs at the club, and would have done time on the club BBQ and setting up and taking down the oval. "Player Manager ? Yeah right as if they were interested in me". The talented Subbies footballer who can foot it with the RockStars. The "couldabeen, if only". The sort of bloke who deserves their first chance. Yeah I'm dreaming.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So based on the above comment from around Sep 2014, my sentiment hasn't changed, the same organisations are working hard and the same organisations are doing nothing.

These are the number of NRC related posts made on each Facebook page in the past 7 days:

Wallabies(502k): 3
Reds(159k): 21
Waratahs(137k): 0 (no mention in months)
Brumbies(97k): 6
Force(70k): 0(last mention 4 Aug)
Rebels(59k): 2

NRC Teams
Rising(4k): 9
Eagles(4k): 10
Rams(3.5k): 8
Spirit(3.7k): 9
Vikings(2.5k): 12
Rays(2.1k): 23
Stars(1.7k): 0 - hasn't been active in 6 months

*Brisbane City and Queensland Country don't have separate social media pages, they run through the Reds page.

Tahs starting to tweet NRC!!!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Heartland XV rugby in NZ is pretty old school amateur. There are stories of Bus Drivers taking their boots along to a game because from time to time they are called on to ride the pine. Their players are tradies, teachers, coppers, dentists and farmers etc that have real jobs and play just for the love of the game. There may be the odd talented athlete there who chose a career in other than professional sport, but generally there will be no former NZ Schoolboys, or U20's or players on the fast track pathway to Darkness. Just "salt of the earth" part time rugby folk, just like the old days, or is this just me with my rose coloured 1970/80's glasses on.

I think that the concept should be to reward the rugby battler. Give them the chance they've never had previously. The lad who was overlooked by the Schoolboy selectors, and hasn't been at U20 World Champs. He has got to the NRC solely by sheer grim determination and his own blood, sweat and tears. No junior Academy accelerated coaching development for them. It's all natural talent and some club mentoring and development. No favours from the Club brown paper bag system and no wardrobe full of free gear from all sorts of rep teams. He would have attended a Colts Information night when he left school, and wouldn't have had 4 or more clubs sending personalised letters to them to try and join them. He would have paid full subs at the club, and would have done time on the club BBQ and setting up and taking down the oval. "Player Manager ? Yeah right as if they were interested in me". The talented Subbies footballer who can foot it with the RockStars. The "couldabeen, if only". The sort of bloke who deserves their first chance. Yeah I'm dreaming.

I'd have to question exactly how many of those blokes you are referring to that are currently running around in the Shute Shield. What could be done if the NRC XV proves too strong they could introduce a curtain raiser game with Australian Subbies Selects vs Heartland XV.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd have to question exactly how many of those blokes you are referring to that are currently running around in the Shute Shield. What could be done if the NRC XV proves too strong they could introduce a curtain raiser game with Australian Subbies Selects vs Heartland XV.

Not just Shute Shield but all the "main" feeder comps for the NRC like the John 1 Dent, the Dewar Cup, the Hospital Cup, and WA Premier Rugby.

There should be enough of them around who are in the NRC squads. The rules only allow for 14 Super Rugby Players in each of the 9 franchises. Squads are 30-40 (including WTG players) so there should be plenty to choose from.

T

Train Without a Station

If you exclude every player that's ever been in a rep system it becomes meaningless. Close to half of Melbourne Uni's Dewar Shield team has played international school boys or Under 20s for example.

A lot of them never made the initial rising squad, let alone the final squad or even get a game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why does the NRL play matches on Thursday for the last 5 matches of the year? Sucks that it coincides with the NRC.

T

TOCC

I don't think the NRC phases them..

As part of the last broadcast deal there were 5 or 6 Thursday nights provided, Channel 9 could choose when in the season they wanted these broadcast, they decided that playing them in the last 5 rounds works best as it leads into the finals series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The NRC might not phase the NRL but Ch9 I think is a bit different. They buy any FTA rugby for sale in Aus and then bury it as best they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.