• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd like to hope it's a better quality feed than what we could already get for free through club websites last season?

Nonetheless, this should get more people watching..

I checked out the FFA Cup streams and they are all of good quality. Better than last season and more reliable. Also, I think I read the NRC streams will be multi camera. The FFA Cup are for the most part single camera. So it should be even better.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yep, multi camera with commentary

Beat me to it. The multi-camera thing is quite interesting actually. The Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL) streams their games and then provides the footage to Foxsports. If cost effective this could be an option in seasons to come?

T

Train Without a Station

Surely it's the biggest step to all games being broadcast. Multi-Camera streams with commentary. Close to what it would cost to broadcast.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looking forward to it, I'm sure we all agree it's a good step in the right direction.
Just got to make sure everyone watches those streamed games to show demand.

I think that's a key variable. We now have full coverage so we need to prove that the interest is there. They'll be uploading games to the NRC site less than 24 hours after the games are played so access isn't a problem if you either don't have Foxtel or want to pay for access. They'll be able to track the number of view so everything counts.

It would be great to see at least another game on TV but I honestly think we're seeing the future of sports broadcasting here. Access passes are hugely popular in the U.S. And will eventually move further afield. I've been eager to see Rugby take the lead on this for some time and it appears that The NRC is the vehicle to take that step.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely it's the biggest step to all games being broadcast. Multi-Camera streams with commentary. Close to what it would cost to broadcast.

Out of interest what would be the extra cost for them to broadcast it as well and put it on a red button channel (assuming they didn't want to play it on one of their main channels)? They've done that with some of the FFA Cup matches.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm assuming it's technical costs and maybe more labour for production.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I gather this was a late decision. The challenge will be around scheduling of matches.

Looking at the first round, obviously Brisbane v Perth will be on Fox Sports.

Then on Saturday we have:

Rays v Stars @ 3pm
Rams v Eagles @ 3pm

On Fox Sports at this time we have:

FS1 - Live NRL: Sharks v Tigers
FS2 - Live ITM: Northland v Southland
FS3 - Live AFL: GWS v Sydney
FS4 - Fox Footy so Live AFL: Collingwood v Richmond
FS5 - Euro PGA Golf
FS6 - Live V8s from Sydney

So only the golf is not live and I'm guessing that's there to add variety to the non-footy fans and I expect Golf would be a fairly decent subscriber lure?

The on Sunday at 3pm when QLD Country host the Rising we have:

FS1 - Live NRL: Titans v Raiders
FS2 - Live ITM: Canterbury v Counties
FS3 - Live AFL: Carlton v Melbourne
FS4 - Fox Footy so Live AFL: North Melbourne v Freemantle
FS5 - WTA Tennis tour

So much the same.

The interesting one is the ITM. Not sure what contractual arrangements there are in that but you'd hope down the track, perhaps next year, Fox Sports would show preference to the Oz domestic comp rather than the kiwi one.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I gather this was a late decision. The challenge will be around scheduling of matches.

Looking at the first round, obviously Brisbane v Perth will be on Fox Sports.

Then on Saturday we have:

Rays v Stars @ 3pm
Rams v Eagles @ 3pm

On Fox Sports at this time we have:

FS1 - Live NRL: Sharks v Tigers
FS2 - Live ITM: Northland v Southland
FS3 - Live AFL: GWS v Sydney
FS4 - Fox Footy so Live AFL: Collingwood v Richmond
FS5 - Euro PGA Golf

So only the golf is not live and I'm guessing that's there to add variety to the non-footy fans and I expect Golf would be a fairly decent subscriber lure?

The on Sunday at 3pm when QLD Country host the Rising we have:

FS1 - Live NRL: Titans v Raiders
FS2 - Live ITM: Canterbury v Counties
FS3 - Live AFL: Carlton v Melbourne
FS4 - Fox Footy so Live AFL: North Melbourne v Freemantle
FS5 - WTA Tennis tour

So much the same.

The interesting one is the ITM. Not sure what contractual arrangements there are in that but you'd hope down the track, perhaps next year, Fox Sports would show preference to the Oz domestic comp rather than the kiwi one.

Who actually pays to watch Golf? I think it could make way for the NRC. While, I'll happily play a round there is nothing I can think of that's more tedious than sitting down for hours on end to watch someone else play it. Wait, Curling. Curling would be more tedious but only just.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Who actually pays to watch Golf? I think it could make way for the NRC. While, I'll happily play a round there is nothing I can think of that's more tedious than sitting down for hours on end to watch someone else play it. Wait, Curling. Curling would be more tedious but only just.
Plenty do. The golf coverage on Foxtel is pretty good and I know a fair few people who subscribe because of it. Admittedly, most of them also are after some AFL or Rugby as well but without the golf I don't think they'd bother. Golf types are a bit different but. :-/

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Plenty do. The golf coverage on Foxtel is pretty good and I know a fair few people who subscribe because of it. Admittedly, most of them also are after some AFL or Rugby as well but without the golf I don't think they'd bother. Golf types are a bit different but. :-/

I guess so. Horses for courses. Golf just one of those games that at least I've found a enjoy a lot more actually participating in than watching.

T

TOCC

Out of interest what would be the extra cost for them to broadcast it as well and put it on a red button channel (assuming they didn't want to play it on one of their main channels)? They've done that with some of the FFA Cup matches.

Don't quote me but I think Foxtel has different quality requirements(lighting, cameras, HD et ) as to what they will broadcast on their Foxtel channels as opposed to streaming on Foxsports.

So I think the production costs would cost quite a bit more to broadcast it on TV as opposed to streaming it on Foxsports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Haha. Don't know why they felt it necessary to add the sponsor in the domain name (perhaps they are paying for it) but if it does change it's not too difficult to amend it.

Getting in on the NRC from the beginning was a pretty good decision from Buildcorp IMO. They'll get significant benefit from sticking with it. Hyundai must have benefited a lot from their A League sponsorship. I think it'd be very high on the list of most recognised and easily recalled sponsorship deals in the country because it's never been anything different. Buildcorp have the opportunity to do something similar.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Getting in on the NRC from the beginning was a pretty good decision from Buildcorp IMO. They'll get significant benefit from sticking with it. Hyundai must have benefited a lot from their A League sponsorship. I think it'd be very high on the list of most recognised and easily recalled sponsorship deals in the country because it's never been anything different. Buildcorp have the opportunity to do something similar.

While it would be great for them to continue to sponsor the NRC personally I'd hope that it would have grown enough to develop some value to potential future sponsors. That's going to be an important element to the NRC in going into the future. They need to develop its sponsorship base so they can continue to invest in the competition via marketing it to the community etc.

I really cannot see how a building company would really benefit from brand awareness in the same manner that Hyundai have with the A-League.

Status
Not open for further replies.