• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
While it would be great for them to continue to sponsor the NRC personally I'd hope that it would have grown enough to develop some value to potential future sponsors. That's going to be an important element to the NRC in going into the future. They need to develop its sponsorship base so they can continue to invest in the competition via marketing it to the community etc.

I really cannot see how a building company would really benefit from brand awareness in the same manner that Hyundai have with the A-League.

I actually hope the NRC stays a fairly grassroots connected competition and not too commercial. I'd like to see crowds and ratings etc improve - and I'm sure they will, but I like it as a semi-pro comp played at suburban grounds with cheap ticket prices.

And I'd guess Buildcorp's clients and potential clients (at least in Sydney and Brisbane) are more likely to be rugby fans than the average person in the community is likely to be a rugby fan. They want to gain awareness and favourability with business decision makers and influencers.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I actually hope the NRC stays a fairly grassroots connected competition and not too commercial. I'd like to see crowds and ratings etc improve - and I'm sure they will, but I like it as a semi-pro comp played at suburban grounds with cheap ticket prices.

And I'd guess Buildcorp's clients and potential clients (at least in Sydney and Brisbane) are more likely to be rugby fans than the average person in the community is likely to be a rugby fan. They want to gain awareness and favourability with business decision makers and influencers.

I like its structure and grassroots connections and I to would like it to be preserved. Which I think it will as long as Super Rugby exists. However, it needs to secure its future and not purely rely on it being underwritten by Foxtel. The broader its sponsorship base the more self sufficient it will become and the more it can investment back into the competition.

T

TOCC

A few more announcements to be made next year in regards to the NRC, ARU spreading out the announcement attempting to maximise news coverage?

I still want to see the Waratahs utilising their social media platforms to reach the NSW supporter base, 140'000 Facebook followers is free marketing yet they don't leverage it enough/at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
We have a dedicated website! buildcorpnrc.com.au

The ARU have been listening.

Bookmarked.

Actually a pretty scmick site, with regular news updates team profiles and even contacts for the media guys for each team.

Stark contrast to the aru website (rugby.com.au) which barely gets touched.
Keep it up guys!

Also great to see some big name partners such as Allianz and Hahn Super Dry on there.

I fucking love this comp

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Question: If I were to pay for an 'unrestricted digital' subscription on the Daily Telegraph/Courier Mail/Herald Sun et al, will the streams be live only, live and replayable, or replays only?

T

TOCC

Question: If I were to pay for an 'unrestricted digital' subscription on the Daily Telegraph/Courier Mail/Herald Sun et al, will the streams be live only, live and replayable, or replays only?

The 27 games not broadcast on Foxtel will be live and replayable, the remaining 12 games which are been broadcast by Foxtel will be replays.

ae5728a6568295bd613ac262c3b88a69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I'm excited it's available through the FoxSports app through Apple TV. So easy, so clear.

There is a trap for young players who have never used the FoxSports Now app on Apple TV (like me).
You don't login with your Foxtel account login, you need to go to
http://www.foxsports.com.au/foxsportsnow and create a complimentary* news.com login.

*complimentary for FoxSports subscribers

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to give you access to paywalled News Corp articles AFAIK

T

TOCC

Im going to continue my rant on the Waratahs/Wallabies lack of social media marketing towards the NRC. Firstly, i think the NRC clubs themselves are doing a great job, but they are marketing to a small base, 2'000 to 5'000 followers on Facebook as opposed to the Waratahs(107'000) and Wallabies(405'000). As for the Wallabies, i went back as far as July and couldn't find a single post referencing the NRC, surely that can't be possible?

So i had a quick look at each of the following FB accounts, and counted the number of NRC related posts the organisations have made since Monday and the number of followers each team has:

Wallabies (405'000): 0 (couldn't find a single post since July)
Reds(136'000): 21
Waratah's (107'000): 0 (last NRC post was 25th Sep)
Brumbies(64'176): 2
Force(53'000): 4
Rebels (43'000): 1

Below are the NRC teams themselves, who are doing a great job to promote their teams but as you can see, are limited by the number of followers they have:

Rising: 3'402
Eagles: 3'371
Rams: 3'279
Spirit: 3'108
Vikings: 2'279
Rays: 1'729
Stars: 1'485

Following teams don't have official pages: City, Q Country

I understand that the NSW and Melbourne teams have separate Facebook accounts, but you have to wonder whether that was the best approach to marketing for this competition. Also, given the market resources of each of these unions, perhaps they should be creating a weekly program similar to that the QRU is creating:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p350x350/10006466_10152687236210236_3663969034925942036_n.jpg?oh=fd800c2af87777c6bccf295e17bcb5da&oe=54B4E34C&__gda__=1420902418_91c5e8595456a7e571cda81d031ba898
link: http://bit.ly/1AZeFgy

So based on the above comment from around Sep 2014, my sentiment hasn't changed, the same organisations are working hard and the same organisations are doing nothing.

These are the number of NRC related posts made on each Facebook page in the past 7 days:

Wallabies(502k): 3
Reds(159k): 21
Waratahs(137k): 0 (no mention in months)
Brumbies(97k): 6
Force(70k): 0(last mention 4 Aug)
Rebels(59k): 2

NRC Teams
Rising(4k): 9
Eagles(4k): 10
Rams(3.5k): 8
Spirit(3.7k): 9
Vikings(2.5k): 12
Rays(2.1k): 23
Stars(1.7k): 0 - hasn't been active in 6 months

*Brisbane City and Queensland Country don't have separate social media pages, they run through the Reds page.

T

TOCC

Looking at the figures above, i believe the Rebels and Force got the marketing strategy wrong by creating separate social media pages and focussing their efforts on a page just for the new NRC team. Rising has 55'000 less followers then the Rebels, so for each media release on the Rising page, that's 55'000 less Melbourne rugby union fans who are missing out on that update. Likewise with the Spirit and Vikings, i think the competition and the teams are still too much in their infancy to focus solely on their own individual page.

Secondly, the Waratahs marketing department is pathetic, some of the NSW NRC Teams are churning out some brilliant social media marketing and updates, yet the NSW Waratahs social media account hasn't shared any of them. Thats 137'000 rugby union fans in the state who could be getting exposed to the NRC who are missing out.

Simple Fixes:
-Rebels, Force and Brumbies need a bit more cross-promotion offered up on their primary social media page advertising the NRC team FB page.

-NSW, the Waratahs need to provide 1 spot every 24hrs to a NSW NRC team, the NRC teams would provide the content(article, video, poster etc) and the Waratahs would share it providing cross promotion to the NSW NRC teams.

-ARU/Wallabies, they look to have improved from 2015 however they should be attempting to provide at least 1 NRC piece every 24 hours. Mon-Thu would be advertising an upcoming match on the weekend, Fri-Sun would be video highlights and match reports.

Last but not least:
There needs to be a central NRC Facebook page, like the AFL(723k) and NRL(1million) have, both the AFL and NRL pages have more followers then any of the clubs.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looking at the figures above, i believe the Rebels and Force got the marketing strategy wrong by creating separate social media pages and focussing their efforts on a page just for the new NRC team. Rising has 55'000 less followers then the Rebels, so for each media release on the Rising page, that's 55'000 less Melbourne rugby union fans who are missing out on that update. Likewise with the Spirit and Vikings, i think the competition and the teams are still too much in their infancy to focus solely on their own individual page.

Secondly, the Waratahs marketing department is pathetic, some of the NSW NRC Teams are churning out some brilliant social media marketing and updates, yet the NSW Waratahs social media account hasn't shared any of them. Thats 137'000 rugby union fans in the state who could be getting exposed to the NRC who are missing out.

Simple Fixes:
-Rebels, Force and Brumbies need a bit more cross-promotion offered up on their primary social media page advertising the NRC team FB page.

-NSW, the Waratahs need to provide 1 spot every 24hrs to a NSW NRC team, the NRC teams would provide the content(article, video, poster etc) and the Waratahs would share it providing cross promotion to the NSW NRC teams.

-ARU/Wallabies, they look to have improved from 2015 however they should be attempting to provide at least 1 NRC piece every 24 hours. Mon-Thu would be advertising an upcoming match on the weekend, Fri-Sun would be video highlights and match reports.

Last but not least:
There needs to be a central NRC Facebook page, like the AFL(723k) and NRL(1million) have, both the AFL and NRL pages have more followers then any of the clubs.

I found a Facebook page. But it's no more than a blurb about the competition. It's never been posted on or content provided. It's ridiculous. They also have no central Twitter account.

You get regular updates on the Wallabies page but beyond that it is poor. Social media marketing is a huge industry. Hell, last year the online marketing sector was worth $120 billion. From memory Social Media made up around 40% of that. There are whole marketing/advertising agencies dedicated to it but the beauty is with a bit of effort you don't have to spend much to get it done.

Leading into the competition these sources should be lousy with NRC material. I'm on the ARU mailing list and yet haven't received an email about the NRC recently. I should be seeing these daily. All of this would take minimal effort with no real cost.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Simple Fixes:

Last but not least:

Brilliant, you are right. I sent your message to the facebook pages of: Wallabies, Waratahs, Brumbies, Force, Rebels and even the Shute Shield. Maybe someone will pick up the idea, who knows

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
They do have a central twitter account. forgotten what it is but its definitely there. However I believe last year it was left to run by buildcorp rather than ARU.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
They do have a central twitter account. forgotten what it is but its definitely there. However I believe last year it was left to run by buildcorp rather than ARU.

@BuildcorpNRC seems to be the official one.
@NRC_Australia does a great job of live-tweeting scores, but I don't think is 'official'

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Definitely right, Did the @NRC_Australia guys handle picture because ARU didn't like him using the real one.

The bottom 2 active twitter accounts in the NRC was @BuildcorpNRC followed by the Stars on the bottom.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
There actually was an NRC Facebook page that was set up last year by a fan that had a decent number of followers and posted or shared a lot of content. But the ARU had it shut down on copyright grounds. And yet they haven't made one of their own. It's bizarre, because I'm sure I read in a recent Brett McKay article that they'd hired a marketing person who would specifically be focusing on the NRC and Sydney 7's. I'd have thought creating a Facebook page for the NRC is among the first things they'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.