• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Headed to the Rays vs. Stars game yesterday. Nearly made the mistake of going to Brookvale instead of Manly Oval. Took an hour to get there and then due to the beautiful weather and a crowded beach I spent over 30 mins looking for a parking space. Just as I was about to give up and drive home I found one. I parked and realised two of the kids were asleep. I then walked the 15 mins to the ground carrying the two who'd crashed. I was pretty fed up by the time I got to the gate. Found a seat, then headed to the canteen for a pie and beer. My eyes lit up when I saw in the fridge real beer rather than the usual crap. Sweet Action Ale by Sixpoint Brewery (Brooklyn USA). I sat in my seat to drink great beer and eat a really good pie, the kids were well behaved and it was a free flowing game in brilliant sunshine. I thought to myself thank God for the NRC. Awesome afternoon!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A few posters are calling for one of the NSW teams to be disbanded.

Looking at the straight numbers game of professional players in the franchise squads, it could be the Rays that underperform this year, yet they seem to have embraced much of what the NRC is theoretically about - a level of footy that is one above grass roots with a recognisable pathway from premier club to the semi pro to professional level. Traditional tribal foes setting aside historical "issues" for the greater good of their players and rugby in general.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
A few posters are calling for one of the NSW teams to be disbanded.

Looking at the straight numbers game of professional players in the franchise squads, it could be the Rays that underperform this year, yet they seem to have embraced much of what the NRC is theoretically about

True, but the future's not written in stone. Rays should be fine. Whether there are nine, eight or ten teams, someone is going to finish bottom of the table. That's not a problem; someone has to.

The combination of players, supporters, admin, ownership, money, as well as performance (dot dot dot) and just the will to survive is what'll count.

T

Train Without a Station

As long as the Rays maintain good support, are financially viable and keep such a well defined geographical region I don't see them going anywhere.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Qld Country got a bonus point HJ. Lost within 8 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone know whats the go with the NRC on demand subscription on foxsports? By that I mean how come only the Brisbane City v Spirit game is available to be replayed?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
With no
  • Bledisloe.
  • Rugby Championships.
  • Super Rugby.
  • Club Rugby.
This weekend the various media channels had a huge opportunity to promote the NRC. Not sure who is in control of this promotional option.

But nothing in this mornings Sydney paper - not sure about other states.

Is it an option to include footage, players providing reviews & a bit of Banter on the morning FTA stations (Today show / Sunrise). Example it may be the Wallaby aligned players getting on the back of their respective teams (& also getting increasing exposure leading up to RWC) with some fun banter and sledging - Pregame Fridays / Post Game Mondays.

Unfortunately - nothing.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Regarding footage
Thursdays games will be shown on most stations as the footage has been shown on fox
The other games are only streamed and fox will not allow them to be shown before the highlights show
Which is on tonight and every Monday
News outlets don't pay for footage they are allowed to use anything shown on TV but streamed or on demand footage is not the same

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
With no
  • Bledisloe.
  • Rugby Championships.
  • Super Rugby.
  • Club Rugby.
This weekend the various media channels had a huge opportunity to promote the NRC. Not sure who is in control of this promotional option.

But nothing in this mornings Sydney paper - not sure about other states.

Is it an option to include footage, players providing reviews & a bit of Banter on the morning FTA stations (Today show / Sunrise). Example it may be the Wallaby aligned players getting on the back of their respective teams (& also getting increasing exposure leading up to RWC) with some fun banter and sledging - Pregame Fridays / Post Game Mondays.

Unfortunately - nothing.

I have noticed that the Fairfax Rugby Heaven site has had no mention at all of the NRC, which I find very odd. I can't find an email address to contact the sports/rugby desk to ask why this is. Very limited newspaper coverage - in Brisbane we had some coverage leading up to the comp but in Sunday's paper there was no mention of the Qld Country game, just some Wallabies writeup and Andrew Slack's column - maybe Slack needs to use his platform to at least include some mention of the NRC so at least it appears.

I would have thought that the ARU would be hammering the local media to get some coverage, perhaps the press are just not responding to it - too may column inches given over to Wallabies selection.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Before you get stuck into the "Rugby Media" and their lack of coverage, hark back to the good old days of say 1990 and consider what Rugby Media was available back then.

If you didn't see a game live, you had to rely on a small and often rather bland write up in the leading papers, with any other information printed in font 2 in the "sporting results" summary along with the Croquet, Golf Pennant, and Sailing results. There was no you tube, WWW, internet blogs, the usegroup rec.sport.rugby.union was a fledgling bulletin board with not many users, and apart from ABC Shute Shield there was stuff all rugby on TV. There was no NRC, no Super Rugby, no Brumbies, Rebels or Force.

Now, the amount of rugby coverage in the papers has dropped, but then the coverage of almost everything has dropped in the papers. More and more people are getting their news/information/gossip from internet sources and are not buying papers. There is an endless number of rugby videos on you tube, from little kids, to schools, junior club footy, up to International matches. We have facebook, instagram, twitter, Green and Gold Rugby (and some other minor rugby blogs and forums), on line newspapers, foxtel TV live games (if you pay).

The amount of information about Rugby has skyrocketed, while coverage in the print media has dropped markedly.

It is really a case of finding a media platform that you are comfortable with and sticking with that. Between what I see live, read on G&GR and watch on Foxtel, I seldom need to go to Fairfax Rugby Heaven, and can't recall the last newspaper I actually purchased.

I reckon we are doing all right.

T

TOCC

I have noticed that the Fairfax Rugby Heaven site has had no mention at all of the NRC, which I find very odd. I can't find an email address to contact the sports/rugby desk to ask why this is. Very limited newspaper coverage - in Brisbane we had some coverage leading up to the comp but in Sunday's paper there was no mention of the Qld Country game, just some Wallabies writeup and Andrew Slack's column - maybe Slack needs to use his platform to at least include some mention of the NRC so at least it appears.

I would have thought that the ARU would be hammering the local media to get some coverage, perhaps the press are just not responding to it - too may column inches given over to Wallabies selection.

There was an article in the Sunday Mail taking about Tuttle and the QLD Country game.

It's disappointing, but at the end of the day the ARU can provide all the material in the world to the newspapers/journalists, but if there's not an editorial appetite for such articles then they won't provide the space for them.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Like the idea of the Horan-Little shield, but you reckon we could of come up with a better name? Anyone got any ideas?

T

TOCC

They could have tried combining the two... The Hittle Shield or the Loran Shield?

On second thoughts, Hittle is probably to close to Hitler, and Loran sounds similar to Delorean, could have capitalised on some cheesy back to the future marketing campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.