• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
This cross referencing exercise reveals that in the SJRU team there are 9 Warringah and 6 Gordon players who competed in this year's State Cup final.

The Schools team has 2 Rats and 1 Highlanders players from the teams who competed in that final.

However, add to the Schools team 2 more Rats (Kennewell & Porter) and 2 more Highlanders (Hutchison & McGregor) who have been part of previous JSC campaigns for their respective teams. Also add Lough (dominant in Gordon's U15s State Cup win over Eastwood). That brings the Schools tally to 4 Warringah & 4 Gordon players.

The NSW U15s in 2012 dominated their Qld opponents running out winners 24-0 (with a couple of NSW bombed tries). If that formline can be reproduced over Qld then we might well see Hugh Jarse's wish for a Juniors v Schools final come to fruition.

My prediction is that this all NSW final would see such widely exaggerated scorelines as the recent Pres A v ISA 5-5 and Pres A v Pres B 22-21 clashes.
Another stat is Schools have 9 boys from NSW 15's from last year and SJRU have 7 boys from NSW 15's team.
Doe anyone know when QLD pick there team.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
JGS as I understand it is now selected by the JGP talent scouts and boys are given invatations to attend over the summer months. Then there is a selection day where the remaining boys who would like to be considered, nominate, turn up and try and shine more than the other 50 boys the talent scouts are looking at on the day. Not easy. By the time the state champs come around the gold scouts are only watching the people on their list, so again you would need to standout in the crowd to make the cut. It would surprise if a JGP scout actually attended any club rugby games.
Not sure on the past, but this year the ARU HPU gus were in orange to watch the 14's and took with them names of potential JGS boys previously identified by scouts as well as the intention of identifying new talent for the program. The scouts were also definitely in operation at the 16's JSC and zone tournament specifically evaluating for the JSC. While invitations etc to JSC don't materialise until around September roughly, lists for further assessment are currently being drawn up, and the scouts will further monitor over the coming school and club rounds. So in fact he timing of the JSC and zone games is ideal in the assessment of new talent program. The watching of the current JGS boys is more around identifying who can go to the next level ( NGS) . To be fair to ARU HPU guys they get across a lot of boys with extremely limited resources.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Another stat is Schools have 9 boys from NSW 15's from last year and SJRU have 7 boys from NSW 15's team.
Doe anyone know when QLD pick there team.

In the past and from what I have heard for this year, towards the end of July early August a squad of around 110 players give or take is announced. Over three successive weekends in August they do some training and play some trial games on the Sunday morning. Gradually they pare back the list but have been known to add some names particularly u15's after they have played in the State Schoolboy Champs around the same time.

After the third round of trials they announce the two QLD teams in the back half of August.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Continually surprised by the exclusion of Joeys trio Tom Wright, Banjo Treavers and Eddy King from these rep teams, can't really see how the 3 best backs in a team which has dominated the GPS over the past few years can continue to be ingnored by rep selectors. Guess thats politics for ya.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't panic. I'm sure that George Smith will fire up a spreadsheet with their club, and School, and School Association fairly soon. He is good at stuff like that.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Harrison Chapman in SJRU goes to Kings plays for Eastwood, Harry plays for Gordon I think not sure of school.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Harry Chapman plays for Gordon goes to Knox and is in Schools and in the back row

I'd say this would be his old man then:
NSW Schools
1st XV 1981 Venue Melbourne
1 Ulm Peter Sydney Boys High
2 Williams Ian Epping BHS
3 Papworth Brett Epping BHS
4 Burke Matt Waverley College
5 Ticehurst Jeremy St Aloysius College
6 Knox David Matraville HS
7 Burke Brad Waverley College8 Farrell Paul St Joseph's College
9 Tuynman Steve Hunters Hill HS
10 Danckert Mark Sydney Boys High
11 Kava Tim Waverley College
12 Scott Colin Scots College
13 Amos Michael Shore
14 Hartill Mark Crows Nest BHS
15 Gillespie Rob James Ruse Ag HS
16 Young Phillip Randwick BHS
17 Apostolidis Bill Fort St BHS
18 Ratjens Glen Carlingford HS
19 Chapman Howard Knox Grammar
20 Glendenning Ashley North Sydney BHS
21 Breckenridge John Epping BHS
Manager Murphy Br. Brian Waverley College

Coach Stewart John Randwick BHS

Strong team!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
oh how things have changed in one generation:
NSW Schools 1st XV in 1981 has GPS 4, CAS 5, CHS 12, ISA 0, CCC 0

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd say this would be his old man then:

Strong team!!

That team brings back plenty of memories for me, quite apart from the eight future Wallabies. Mark Danckert never did all that much in Rugby after school, but I can remember playing against him many times in Grade cricket. Actually, I played a fair bit of cricket against David Knox, too, back in the day when you could play two sports reasonably seriously. I came up against Colin Scotts in Colts when he turned out for Easts, I think on vacation from College in Hawaii. It was impossible to contest a lineout against him, not so much because he was tall (though he was) but because the enormous bulk of his body just blocked everything out. I played Colts with Michael Amos (now Dr Amos), who repeated Year 12 at Shore in 1981 as School Captain. Legend has it that he was chosen in the 1981-82 Australian Schools team to tour Britain, only to drop out when it was revealed that he was too old - he needed to be under 19 on 1 January, but was actually born a few minutes before midnight on 31 December. Thanks Mum!

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
^^ Tell me more about the Australian Junior Rugby Union, the baz.

I have tried to stimulate discussion about this body in this thread:
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/australian-junior-rugby-union.11657/

Probably should have started it in the Schoolboys Forum rather than Rugby Discussion.

Very little is known about this rather secretive almost Masonic body. Seems to be a happy hunting ground for former NSW JRU executives.
AJRU has apparently been "re-established" with large input from NSWCJRU. I am not sure of the benefits that they are achieving, the pathways for the juniors, if there is even a team announced. I do know who is driving it, and my opinion is they it is more to benefit them than the game... just my opinion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is a merit team in the U17's announced. Not too sure about the U15's who seem to also attend the AJRU champs.

There seems to be a lot of WII-FM for the executives at most levels beyond district/zone in the Juniors.

Aurora Australis

Frank Nicholson (4)
I noticed that though not official teams the fantasy Qld teams named are predominantly 1stXV players according to the listings.

Does this reflect a different schooling system theft finishes at around u/17 or a particularly strong cohort?

Will there be a similar representation of 1st XV players from other states

Will regularly competing at a higher intensity than u/16 or 2ndXV provide an edge for the QLD players that are still competing in their competitions

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
QLD schooling system: grade 11=16 years of age
NSW schooling system: grade 11=17 yearsof age

1 year advantage in NSW, youll find lots of boys looking to further their rugby will repeat to get 1 more year for their school and a shot at highest honours.

Status
Not open for further replies.