• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I can't decide who would be the first name penciled in on the AB forward pack team sheet, Whitelock or Retallick. I'd be writing them down ahead of precious Franks and the captain and his designated heir in #7, that's for sure.

Of course the team for the Lions completely picks itself and has been etched in stone for fucking months now. Getting a wee bit edgy over the overall complacent safeness of it all though, virtually NO challenges for starting spots. They aint gonna biff the youngest Barrett out there when he’s never even kicked in a test match. Surely not.

Re:midfield, ALBrown at Soup Level seems to be just a solid invisible glueman. As is Crotty. Fekitoa is an embarrassing dogs bollox on attack and Her Royal Highness SBW is lost at fucken sea in his 1.5 games so far this season. Starting to get anxious re:Lions and this semi-shitty array of choices. IhOmo, Faddes and Buckman look better than any of them. Even Jack Goodhue has already shown 20x the straight running draw-and-pass instincts Fekitoa ever has

Regarding your midfield 'problem'. I thought Matt Proctor has been playing some pretty good rugby for the Hurricanes pre-injury. Certainly better than Fekitoa who seems to get a spot in your squad entirely due to being built like a brick shithouse.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SBW back on the injured list after failing his HIA last night.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11851191

Fortunately we've got midfield options galore so it's nowhere near as worrying as the Coles situation.

Aaron Cruden also has some concussion-like symptoms, hence not playing v Reds, but Rennie's upbeat about his prospects for the CruSadists match in Suva:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ie-does-not-think-cruden-will-be-out-for-long

If things don't pan out he's less of a loss than Coles IMO but moreso than SBW.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
A real pleasant surprise this season has been the form of Havili. He looks quicker and makes good decisions. Confidence seems sky high.

If Dagg's AB chances seem destined for the wing (where he played very well last year along side Bender), perhaps Dagg to the wing and keep Havili at full back.

Bridge and Tamanivalu have also been very good, but Dagg will bring that extra bit of class and finishing polish, which I thought we missed against the Canes to capitalise on the good breakouts we made.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Willie Heinz, Jason Woodward and Denny Solomona are in the England training squad for a camp prior to their upcoming tour.

It's only 26 players so good chance they'll make the tour.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anton Lienert-Brown & Nathan Harris have re-signed with Chiefs & NZRU, AL-B turning down an offer from the CruSadists (he's a Christchurch boy BTW) which perhaps suggests there's an imminent vacancy in their midfield...

Actually WOB, will be interested to see how Harris goes after his injury, I suspect he the kind of hooker that Shag is pretty keen on, and wouldn't be overly surprised to see him in Black again this year

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Actually WOB, will be interested to see how Harris goes after his injury, I suspect he the kind of hooker that Shag is pretty keen on, and wouldn't be overly surprised to see him in Black again this year

If he can spend more than 5 mins away from the physio table that is.

He must be the most highly paid player in NZ on a minutes played basis!

There is a great opportunity for a NZ hooker to get that 3rd spot. Taylor has the 2nd spot behind Coles but doesn't really have a mortgage on it.

I am not sure why we have struggled with hookers recently....chunky/squat rugby players around 5/10 - 6ft is a typical body shape in NZ!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If he can spend more than 5 mins away from the physio table that is.

He must be the most highly paid player in NZ on a minutes played basis!

There is a great opportunity for a NZ hooker to get that 3rd spot. Taylor has the 2nd spot behind Coles but doesn't really have a mortgage on it.

I am not sure why we have struggled with hookers recently..chunky/squat rugby players around 5/10 - 6ft is a typical body shape in NZ!

True Grubs, but I think Harris' injuries have tended to be bad luck and you would hope he put them behind him now. I just think he more of the physical type No 2 that will fit in ABs.

By the way I hear there is the makings of a mini Waiopehu College reunion in London for first Lions test?? Sure with those in attendance there will be very little drinking?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
True Grubs, but I think Harris' injuries have tended to be bad luck and you would hope he put them behind him now. I just think he more of the physical type No 2 that will fit in ABs.

By the way I hear there is the makings of a mini Waiopehu College reunion in London for first Lions test?? Sure with those in attendance there will be very little drinking?

I think what they like about Harris is that he likes to play a little wider similar to Coles. Codie Taylor isn't really that guy but has that physical edginess where he throws himself into the tackle and ruck with plenty of mustard. More akin to a seasoned Mealamu.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thoughts on the hooker pecking order?

1. Coles (by some margin)
2. Taylor
3. ?????
4. ?????

Could be important if Coles' concussion symptoms persist too much longer........

Similarly with the props:

1. Franks
2. Moody
3. Faumuina
4. Crockett
5. Tu'ungafasi (?)
6. ?????

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thoughts on the hooker pecking order?

1. Coles (by some margin)
2. Taylor
3. ?????
4. ?????

Could be important if Coles' concussion symptoms persist too much longer....

Similarly with the props:

1. Franks
2. Moody
3. Faumuina
4. Crockett
5. Tu'ungafasi (?)
6. ?????

Unusual to see a player who can play prop and hooker well at Test level. ;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)