• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kieran Read has officially re-signed with the NZRU, forsaken the enemy and, instead, returned to the Fatherland.

All Blacks captain Kieran Read has re-signed with New Zealand Rugby and the Crusaders until the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

Read, who is recovering from a broken thumb, made the announcement at a press conference at his former school, Rosehill College, in Auckland on Wednesday morning.

In recognition of his roots, Read has also revealed he is returning to the province where he was born and raised, and has signed with Counties Manukau through to 2019.

"I grew up playing my rugby in Drury and remember going to the old Growers Stadium to watch Jonah Lomu and Joeli Vidiri carve up for Counties and I played age-grade rugby for the province," Read said in a statement.

"It was important for me to come full circle and sign with the province where it all started and hopefully give something back to the community I love."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...an-read-resigns-with-nz-rugby-through-to-2019

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The provinces and franchises used to be tied together, but not anymore. The franchises can now sign any player from any province. However it's largely a symbolic gesture for senior All Blacks as they'll rarely, if ever, turn out for their province.

EDIT: In saying that the provinces and franchises are still tied together at the age grade/academy level.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have no idea about the relation between super rugby and ITM cup in NZ, but does their ITM cup team influence what Super team they play for?
E.g. Kieran Read played for Canterbury and the Crusaders, now he plays for Counties, does that mean he'll play for Chiefs?

No, he's still a CruSadist & as zer0 notes above it's unlikely that he'd actually play ITM Cup unless coming back from injury & in need of some game time: to date he has 133 Crusaders appearances but only 37 for Canterbury & im pretty sure most of those would've been before he became an AB fixture.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
DP, Fozzie did take the Chiefs to the finals. His selections were his downfall, but they select by committee in the ABs and no doubt since 2012 being around Hansen and Smith he will have learned a thing or two.

Such as how to spell "Disrespect"? ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This is a competition suited for Dismal Pillock

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/blackout

Get in there Dismal!

Remember, Dismal, you can't smile in the passport photo
happy.gif

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Holy shit that is an insanely awesome prize. Already submitted 25 application forms, churning through them now, adding surname of either Meads, Lochore or Wyllie to curry favour with the selectors. I will spend the entire 3 days trying to talk Owen Franks into moving to Auckland

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have no idea about the relation between super rugby and ITM cup in NZ, but does their ITM cup team influence what Super team they play for?
E.g. Kieran Read played for Canterbury and the Crusaders, now he plays for Counties, does that mean he'll play for Chiefs?

As zero said not any more. It used to be a system where a super franchise could "protect" players from provinces within a catchment region. The franchise got first dibs each season unless there was a contract from a previous season in place.

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Read was always going to sign up until 2019. The question then becomes whether he pulls the pin at that point to let Cane or someone else take over.

If he captains NZ to victory that will be 3 world cup titles for him.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
re: Hansen's comment about expanding AB selection to Aus-based NZ players, wondering if he hasnt got his eye on the young prop Lomax? The Alalaatoa's also eligible?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nehe Milner-Skudder will have a fitness test tomorrow morning & if he passes it head to Perth for 'canes v Force on Saturday night. Probably too little, too late for him to be in the frame for B&IL series, but it'll be good to see him back & pushing for a sport in TRC squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Michael might be but Allan isn't as he's capped.

Also, hopefully he hasn't got his eye on Nic Mayhew. Eligible, I understand for all of NZ, Aus and England, and going well enough to be considered for any and all of them. Ruru might also be in the same boat. Cheika might need to get his act into gear with a few of these multi-eligible players.

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Lomax would be a candidate for the Hurricanes to go after I reckon. Family connections to that part of NZ and we could do with a prop like him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Lomax would be a candidate for the Hurricanes to go after I reckon. Family connections to that part of NZ and we could do with a prop like him.

His dad or uncle has got a pub in Levin, so if he goes alright we get bragging rights on a couple of front rowers, him and Cody Taylor;)