• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
George Moala heading to France after one last crack at a Super Rugby title:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...oala-signs-with-french-club-clermont-auvergne

These are the guys we can least afford to lose IMO: may never have been an AB again but handy to have around in case of an injury cluster (think: Jason O'Halloran back in the day) & a yardstick against whom to measure the next big thing straight outa South Auckland or wherever.

I've yet to see it confirmed but there are persistent reports that Jerome Kaino is off to Toulon at some point next year & potentially one or more of Waisake Naholo, Seta Tamanivalu & Matt Todd could be gone this time next year, too:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-waisake-naholo-matt-todd-and-seta-tamanivalu

Personally I'd be going hard to keep Todd, would rather keep Naholo than not, but wouldn't lose too much sleep if we can't retain Seta.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
George Moala heading to France after one last crack at a Super Rugby title:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...oala-signs-with-french-club-clermont-auvergne

These are the guys we can least afford to lose IMO: may never have been an AB again but handy to have around in case of an injury cluster (think: Jason O'Halloran back in the day) & a yardstick against whom to measure the next big thing straight outa South Auckland or wherever.

I've yet to see it confirmed but there are persistent reports that Jerome Kaino is off to Toulon at some point next year & potentially one or more of Waisake Naholo, Seta Tamanivalu & Matt Todd could be gone this time next year, too:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-waisake-naholo-matt-todd-and-seta-tamanivalu

Personally I'd be going hard to keep Todd, would rather keep Naholo than not, but wouldn't lose too much sleep if we can't retain Seta.

Couldn't agree more about Todd and Naholo WOB, and can really see Seta going, he would know there needs to be a lot of injuries for him to get a gig with ABs again this year, and though he a pretty handy player I can see him cashing in while he still gets dispensation for playing International rugby to get the work permit etc, and get the extra $s as they know he won't be needed to be released for tests etc.
I will be surprised if either Todd or Naholo go, Shag pretty keen on both players, Naholo because of his pace, and Todd just because he so bloody good!! To be honest Moala was always going I think, he gone too far down the list now with ALB and Goodhue, and J Barrett all come through the ranks to cover midfield .

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A little off-topic perhaps but Bryan "Bee Gee" Williams has been knighted for services to rugby:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11966699

I remember watching Black & white footage of him in South Africa in 1970 when even the locals thought he was pretty damn good & who could forget his tries v Scotland in the "water polo" Test in 1975 ~2 min into this vid:

The one v the Baabaas in '74 wasn't half bad either:

I remember reading somewhere that he was the first part-Samoan to complete a law degree in NZ & he's certainly done a lot for the PI community over the years, any numbers of people from Michael Jones to Inga Tuigamala to Ma'a Nonu have cited him as an influence growing up. One of the really good guys in our game & good to see him recognised in this way.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
My last 4-5yrs in NZ, I played social rugby for Ponsonby and BeeGee was always around every Saturday helping out, talking to people and supporting tye club. When I went back home around Easter, it was great to run into him at a Blues game - just a nice man all round really and yeah, a good role model for a lot of the PI boys and any young man coming thru the club.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
nzrugflow_zpsgrikjp9o.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Didn't see this coming, didn't even realise he was off-contract after Super Rugby:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11972607

Mind you as the article says there's a few 10's (& DMac :)) coming through so maybe not quite as surprising as it appears at first glance.

Yep a few coming through, but by geez he a quality 10 to be losing. It going to impact the Clan big time, as well as big loss to NZ rugby in general. But if that is what he has chosen to do so be it!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
had regressed since his assured debut vs the boks at Ellis Pawk 2 seasons ago. spotty minutes since. not sure Shag will be wildly spewing. Although he might be if he was looking at Beauden to have a burl at fullback... where he kind of looks far more terrifying

someone is really going to have to pull finger in S15 now. Mounga vs Dmac. I'd hope the former gets a look. DMac is a skittish pants-on-fire tinpot dwarf hellride I want no part of.

Looks like it's time for the Blues 2018 Designated Messiah Stephen Perofeta to ascend to his rightful place piloting The 2018 Runaway Hype All Black-In-Waiting Bandwagon. Akira Ioane T2018RHABIWB.0.2

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ not sure if you're aware but Quade is supposedly on the outer at Ballymore & has allegedly been spotted at Bloos training so potentially they've two designated messiahs :) :) :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Do you think we are losing a few 10s? All in the last few years, all 10s and doesn't include Nick Evans etc who has basically retired. (I flogged it off a post in PR)
Junior RWC Winner Gareth Anscombe for 2014
- Junior RWC Winner Tyler Bleyendaal for 2015
- Junior RWC winner Tom Taylor for 2015
- Junior RWC captain Simon Hickey for 2015
- 2x RWC winner Dan Carter for 2016
- 2x RWC winner Colin Slade for 2016
- RWC winner Aaron Cruden for 2018
- RWC winner Stephen Donald for 2018
- Junior RWC winner Lima Sopoaga for 2018
Plus
Marty Banks
Hayden Parker
Matt McGahan
Baden Kerr
Chris Noakes
Daniel Waenga
Daniel Kirkpatrick
Jimmy Gopperth
Stephen Brett
Botica

Geez that's over a dozen players in one position, I know some are reasonable journeymen, but would lay down money that a good number of them would be Super rugby quality or above.
Isn't it strange we hear about the islands etc (rightly too) losing players, but very seldom about NZ!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Ain't gonna happen but imagine if it did: imagine being the neutral in the South Stand when Quade does something amazing & watching the local fans trying to decide whether they're supposed to to cheer or boo him. I'd pay good money to watch 14 Bloos fans heads exploding :)

EDIT: fully agree re: DMac but Shag & Fozzie think he's got pretty much unlimited potential at 10 & my Chiefs snout tells me the word has come down that he's to be given an extended run there no matter what happens, the theory being that if he's not an immediate success he will grow into the position. Given his two outings at 10 last year v B&IL I'm not so sure I agree but then again I'm neither the current nor next AB coach.............

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Another lazy afternoon analysing predictions: Here's my thoughts: Blues and HIghlanders must make minimum of 9 wins to make the finals and the bonus points will be v important as I see Lions, Stormers and Sharks each bringing home 9 wins - only one has automatic entry into the finals this year, the next 9 winner team will be selected on bonus points. I have nothing against SA teams, but I would love to see the Blues make the finals this year - along with all other NZ teams. Think Canes, Crusaders and Chiefs will bring it home with 11 wins, so no problems there.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kaino expected to sign with Toulon in the next 24-48 hours as replacement for Duane V who's back with the Stormers for Super Rugby 2018. Not clear if JK will be let go early as he's officially contracted until 31/12:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...s-the-door-for-potential-jerome-kaino-signing

Coupla years ago he was a nailed-on certainty to rack up 100 caps but may now struggle to add to his 81 unless there's an injury to Squire or Fifita.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep WOB, suspect Kaino's day has come and gone, so he would probably get released I imagine.
Also interested to see Greg Cooper returning to NZ to be nearer to sick daughter, we all tend to forget that generally when these coaches go overseas it is not at all unusual to leave their families in NZ, and so when something like this happen can understand him cutting short his time. hope the girl is OK obviously, and I wonder if Greg will find a gig in NZ, sure he will.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ once he's got the family stuff sorted I'm sure he'll have no problem picking up a coaching gig of some description (assuming, of course, he wants to stay in the game).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Now the conjecture is that it's Messam leaving, not Kaino. Personally I hope Kaino stays on to fight for his place. His defensive abilities are second-to-none and far more valuable than more flashy running loose forwards, who are dime a dozen.

Plus the only reason he lost his place was because some Frenchman decided he played too hard for the rest of the children. If the OTT persecution ends then he'll be fine. If not, then he might as well go and cash in, in the NH.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ like most I assumed Messam would head back to Japan. Watching JK being interviewed on Newshub last night I don't think there's too much doubt that he's going, just a question of where & when he goes.