• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Wallabies, Eden Park, Sat 22nd October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The game has moved on really and referees are taking less and less of the mouth to them or even other players. In any event people who run off their mouth do have a tendency to run off elsewhere as words often lead to action. So if the words are firing up often ill thought actions follow, like pushing a team official.

Good.
Last thing we want is a Football (Soccer) situation where millionaire's swear and abuse the ref for, usually, no good reason.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
One of the main reasons why the ABs are dominant is because they are ruthless i.e. as much as I (and everyone else here) hates it, they are willing to go beyond the rules to win. That is the mark of a desire to win. We need to do the same.

And something else: I really want Quade to score and flip off the entire crowd just to watch the shitshow that would result

I may be nostalgic but winning outside of the rules is not winning. I do not rate Maradonna or Lance Armstrong as great sportspeople. They were supremely gifted individuals with no ethics. If that is what is required for the Wallabies to win, I'd honestly rather they lose in style within the rules.

Its funny I had an argument many years ago with a lawyer on the steps of a court house about his ethics and lack thereof with regard to use of half truths, misdirection and a couple of outright lies, his smug reply was that is how the "game is played" and my reply was "if I played that way you'd scream blue murder about ethics. Perhaps you can understand why your profession is the most despised in the world." The same is true here, a win outside the rules is not a win, everyone loses and the game is diminished.

Another way of looking at it is diving and milking a penalty like they do in soccer an acceptable way to win?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I may be nostalgic but winning outside of the rules is not winning. I do not rate Maradonna or Lance Armstrong as great sportspeople. They were supremely gifted individuals with no ethics. If that is what is required for the Wallabies to win, I'd honestly rather they lose in style within the rules.

Its funny I had an argument many years ago with a lawyer on the steps of a court house about his ethics and lack thereof with regard to use of half truths, misdirection and a couple of outright lies, his smug reply was that is how the "game is played" and my reply was "if I played that way you'd scream blue murder about ethics. Perhaps you can understand why your profession is the most despised in the world." The same is true here, a win outside the rules is not a win, everyone loses and the game is diminished.

Another way of looking at it is diving and milking a penalty like they do in soccer an acceptable way to win?

I was thinking more like Ayrton Senna & Michael Schumacher

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On the front row reserves, I was impressed with the young blokes against the Argies when they came on, even with a tired Moore (who is no where near the best scrummaging Hooker in Oz). Certainly enough to persevere with as Slipper has struggled to find form all year after his injuries.

Going by the numbers, I note you have Ala'alatoa as reserve LHP and Robertson on the TH side. Is this intentional, and if so what did you make of Cheika's idea to have them play the opposite sides last weekend?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I don't like it. Allan looks as if he's been mucked around by all coaches, Brumbies AND Wallabies, while asking young Tomas to learn the other side of the scrum on the run's fraught with danger against the ABs. Can one of the resident dark arts professors give us a more considered comment on these strange selections.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While they are slightly different roles, in reality most props (no, not all) can play both sides. Generally speaking, LHP is considered the easier position to scrum, particularly for a taller prop, but they are, at the margins, different.
A classic example of this would be Paddy Ryan, a tall prop who struggled at THP, but seems to be thriving at LHP.
Having said all of the above, I would be very surprised if most props haven't spent a bit of time on either side as they make their way through their career.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
All Blacks cheat like Maradonna or Lance Armstrong cheat cheat cheat cheat cheat

0ecc8a1726252a637b05a63b1bfe8f9821b05c6339959f22672ce74cdf1a552c.jpg

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reserve props went OK, but both Sio and Keps did not. From the stats they were quite lazy and will need to lift heaps this week.

Chek will maintain the status quo selections again.

I had advocated playing Izzy at 13 but with the way Kerevi is playing that is just not an option. His form at 15 has been poor and he will be tested again this match. A move to wing maybe ?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. Timani
7.Hooper
8.Houston
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Hodge
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Sio
17. Alalalalalaltoa
18. Hanson
19. Douglas
20. Poey/McMahon(i've heard that poey and mcmahon are recovering well)
21. Mumm
22. Phipps
23. Kuridrani

That team will beat the All Black's by 20 points, guaranteed. :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. Timani
7.Hooper
8.Houston
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Hodge
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Sio
17. Alalalalalaltoa
18. Hanson
19. Douglas
21. Mumm
22. Phipps
23. Kuridrani

That team will be the All Black's by 20 points, guaranteed. :)
They'll be the All Blacks' what? Lineout bitches is one phrase that springs to mind.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
1. Slipper

16. Sio

Why are we dropping Sio now that the has finally hit some form?

3 games ago I would have agreed but it now seems to me he is playing better then Slipper who struggled in the scrum last few games.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Gnostic - I had a think about it and I realised you are right. It was a stupid and illogical opinion I had

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. Timani
7.Hooper
8.Houston
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Hodge
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Sio
17. Alalalalalaltoa
18. Hanson
19. Douglas
21. Mumm
22. Phipps
23. Kuridrani

That team will beat the All Black's by 20 points, guaranteed. :)

Hmm, maybe. But someone better tell Houston to get on a plane quickly, because I believe he's back playing with Bath again:D

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ohrly? That's unfortunate the lad looked so stoked to get his first Cap.
I reckon he's a shoe in for the eoyt now, he'll stay in bath for this game (outside the test window) and join the squad when they arrive. He did well in his short stint and that sort of positive attitude is invaluable in a touring squad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Test window availability doesn't hold for Houston, he's on a short-term loan at the grace and favour of the Reds/ARU. As he has an Oz contract he stays as long, or short, as his Oz employer wishes. I reckon he'd be on match payments at Bath, playing for the Wallabies isn't going to cost Leroy anything.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In some ways it seems a little strange that they haven't ended the loan to Bath and brought Leroy back to Australia. Maybe they'll let him play this weekend and then bring him back.

I'm guessing the Wallabies have a bit of time off early this week after returning from London and then the squad for the EOYT will get announced this Thursday and they will go into a mini camp before heading out to NZ next week to start the tour.

By the time they arrive in the UK they've already had the EOYT squad together for a week and a half. It puts Houston behind the 8 ball (no pun intended) if he isn't part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.