• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Wallabies, Eden Park, Sat 22nd October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just an FYI, Houston is back at Bath so won't be involved in this match.

A big question remaining is whether Will Genia is available or whether he has returned to Stade Francais.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just an FYI, Houston is back at Bath so won't be involved in this match.

A big question remaining is whether Will Genia is available or whether he has returned to Stade Francais.

A big loss if Genia goes. Although if you take the medic incident out of last week I think it was a noticeable uplift in tempo once Phipps was on the field.

Passing seemed crisp to me. We probably still lose that cool head and game manager which is quite valuable inside Cooper but Phipps could add some much needed energy and pace in attack as long as he doesn't throw any wayward passes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A big loss if Genia goes. Although if you take the medic incident out of last week I think it was a noticeable uplift in tempo once Phipps was on the field.

Passing seemed crisp to me. We probably still lose that cool head and game manager which is quite valuable inside Cooper but Phipps could add some much needed energy and pace in attack as long as he doesn't throw any wayward passes.

Agree. Genia has been our best, but I'd be quite happy to see Phipps get a start or two.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Agree. Genia has been our best, but I'd be quite happy to see Phipps get a start or two.

Who comes off the bench then?

Also, whatever happened to Stirzaker? He was the second coming a few years ago.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the Wallabies facebook photos, it looks like Will Genia was on the plane back to Australia so will presumably play this weekend.

Seems bizarre that Stade Francais wouldn't want a fit and in form Will Genia back with their side as soon as possible.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Who comes off the bench then?

Also, whatever happened to Stirzaker? He was the second coming a few years ago.

Frisby who is next in line. Maybe Powell. None are great options - yet.

Stirzaker had a poor super xv season, not sure how his form was in the NRC.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
From the Wallabies facebook photos, it looks like Will Genia was on the plane back to Australia so will presumably play this weekend.

Seems bizarre that Stade Francais wouldn't want a fit and in form Will Genia back with their side as soon as possible.

Are Stade Francais just paying him match fees or something?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I am not sure extra energy and pace will help against the ABs, Phipps will increase the tempo but we invariably run out of units, get turned over and that lack of units in play creates mismatches.

The Abs will often put just enough pressure on at the ruck that we need to commit more numbers and then attack the following phases ball runner, get the turn over and we are screwed.

Unless we technically improve out cleanout accuracy,work rate and effort to be available, speed at clearance may hurt us more than helps us.

Too often Phipps is ready to clear, but the receivers, supports and dummy runners aren't

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Too often Phipps is ready to clear, but the receivers, supports and dummy runners aren't

I think something similar thing has been happening with Quade (and Genia and to a lessor extent Foley). It leads to a run without support, or the supporters over running the play. I dont really see these things as fitness or attitude, more about "grooving together" and its getting better over time.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I think something similar thing has been happening with Quade (and Genia and to a lessor extent Foley). It leads to a run without support, or the supporters over running the play. I dont really see these things as fitness or attitude, more about "grooving together" and its getting better over time.

Cleanout accuracy, like FP mentioned above, is a huge element in this equation of getting our groove together. It's hard to get units in position across the field when we're throwing more bodies into the ruck than absolutely necessary. There have been some pretty dire cleanout efforts made by a few of our guys throughout TRC, particularly tight-five players.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
"If the shit fits, wear it".

I'm saying it doesn't fit. Also, that's a weird analogy

One is a noted systematic drug cheat who went to great lengths to crush his detractors, another used his hand to slap the ball in and the ref missed it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm not a fan of phipps but you can't really blame his pass here. Lack of good support play is probably the wallabies biggest general play issue right now, and that's as much a problem when phipps isn't on the field as when he is. Additionally it's always felt to me that phipps passing is at its worst when he has to wait and has time to think, he does his best work when he can keep his high tempo rhythm going.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not a fan of phipps but you can't really blame his pass here. Lack of good support play is probably the wallabies biggest general play issue right now, and that's as much a problem when phipps isn't on the field as when he is. Additionally it's always felt to me that phipps passing is at its worst when he has to wait and has time to think, he does his best work when he can keep his high tempo rhythm going.

We aren't ever going to get the fast, front foot ball that Phipps thrives on against the All Blacks. We've been struggling to do it against any team, let alone the AB's. Foley, to an extent, also thrives on this fast ball from the ruck, with his best footy coming from darting runs close to the ruck or short pass interchanges with Beale or Folau running onto it early. The space just won't be there for these guys with the Forwards that we have. It worked for the tahs but doesn't translate at all the test level. Genia - Cooper is easily our best bet.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
lack of quality no.9 on the horizon is a major worry.

Yeah? We've just had Frisby play a couple of okay games in gold, we've had the young Stirzaker beg for a jersey last year (there's no reason he can't get back there next year sans injury), we gave a young Powell a crack in the squad earlier this year, and from the NRC we have Gordon and Lucas looking bloody good. I'd say 9 was our deepest position.

I'd say we're right, it's just about picking the right 1 or 2 to throw some development behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.