• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua will both be in the starting 15 along with one of Banks or Maddocks. That's more than enough kicking ability to carry two proper wingers. I haven't actually seen all that much kicking from Wright either. Is he actually that much better?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua will both be in the starting 15 along with one of Banks or Maddocks. That's more than enough kicking ability to carry two proper wingers. I haven't actually seen all that much kicking from Wright either. Is he actually that much better?

I think DHP will be there. But your point remains.

10. JO'C
12. To'omua
15. DHP

Should be enough to carry Daugunu & Koroibete.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Is Daugunu good as a systems defender? He's clearly monstrously powerful but I can see the Kiwi backs licking their lips at him

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I think DHP will be there. But your point remains.

10. JO'C
12. To'omua
15. DHP

Should be enough to carry Daugunu & Koroibete.

I mentioned this on the Wallabies thread. I don't see why we would consider "carrying" Daugunu. Wright for me is his equal with ball in hand. This season he has more metres per carry, more clean breaks, more tries, more passes all from half the amount of carries. Add in his ball playing ability plus his kicking, ability under the high ball and it seems an obvious selection.

Why would we look as taking JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua out of the frontline to cover for Daugunu's weaknesses when we can have a solid back 3?

I would also go DHP if he has recovered in time. Maddocks and Banks both good back ups.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why would we look as taking JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua out of the frontline to cover for Daugunu's weaknesses when we can have a solid back 3?

I would also go DHP if he has recovered in time. Maddocks and Banks both good back ups.

Most teams drop their 10 and 15 back in general play because the 10 is a better playmaker for making decisions on the return than the winger and the winger should be the best at defending on the edge and making those decisions.

The 10 generally isn't being put back there because you're hiding them in defence. That would only be the case if you're electing to put them somewhere other than 10 from the set piece in defence.

Reactions: dru

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Most teams drop their 10 and 15 back in general play because the 10 is a better playmaker for making decisions on the return than the winger and the winger should be the best at defending on the edge and making those decisions.

The 10 generally isn't being put back there because you're hiding them in defence. That would only be the case if you're electing to put them somewhere other than 10 from the set piece in defence.

I get that, although when you have a winger with playmaking ability and can kick then there is no need to drop the 10.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wright played a lot of 10 and 15 as a schoolboy and played five-eighth for Manly. He can kick.

That said, I thought Daugunu could kick a bit, wasn’t there some story about him being a national soccer goalkeeper for Fiji at u18s or something?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Like in the hookers spot for lineouts? Hmmm, seems like I've seen that somewhere.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kickoff times pushed back to 16:00 local to "maximise tv audiences".

Paul Williams appointed to ref, Angus Gardner will ref B2.