• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
This bit in the Guardian sums up the reality around Cheika nicely:

All signs point to Jake White or Michael Cheika as the next Australia coach. With the Wallabies departing for the UK tour this Friday, White may be the easiest solution as an interim coach. Cheika, however, would have to be the preferred candidate long-term. The problem with Cheika, though, is that he has issues with the ARU. Pulver would have to convince him structures would be put in place to give the Wallabies every chance of succeeding. Cheika made millions in business; he won’t be swayed by money. He’s one of the most sought after coaches in the world having won rugby championships in both hemispheres, so he doesn’t need the Wallabies job to enhance his reputation. But he does see coaching Australia as an honour and privilege. However, he won’t take on a team structurally set up to fail.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...-to-fix-ewen-mckenzie-and-arus-wallabies-mess

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
I think Cheika is the right fit. He is strong and unlike McKenzie and even Deans has a affinity with the media.

I have heard him speak on many non rugby sports shows (is there any other type!) and he always comes across well. He says what he really thinks and backs it with good arguments. Managing the media and public perception is a big part of this job

He entered the fray arguing for running rugby and implemented the plan ending up with a Super Rugby Title.

It may be asking a bit much to get it all together for the WC and the Wallaby job is a bit of a poisoned chalice but Cheika is the best candidate for me.

It would be a big loss for the Tahs but the Wallabies are the engine that drive Rugby in our country.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Well, 'informed source' worked for getting our prior management fired.

I know *sigh*. It still beggars belief that no one really calls bullshit on this and ask them to provide some evidence. I know they will call 'my source must remain secret' card, but it gets to the point where this kind of crap becomes libelous and the only ones to make coin will be Lawyers.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm an All Black supporter, but I live in Australia and have followed OZ rugby almost as closely as AB rugby for 25 years. I like to see OZ rugby do well (don't mind a bit of banter as well), but something that continues to baffle me and I have never got in terms of the rhetoric around OZ rugby is this innate term "running rugby".

It's rubbish in my view. It really doesn't mean anything. In fact I'd go as far as say that it has been pulled out as an excuse for when things aren't going well. Do people deep down think that using this phrase will somehow stand up to criticism of league commentators, or what fans are really interested in.

For the sake of OZ rugby, get the administrative and organisational stuff in order and then select coaches and players that buy into the system. Won't happen overnight but it is possible. Then there will be no need for the use of all these catch phrases.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The other consideration is the assistants. What if ARU wants to keep them until post RWC? I certainly think they are capable, but a coach getting his crack at the top job might want his own people to have best shot. Man, this sounds familiar.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Cheika is the right fit. He is strong and unlike McKenzie and even Deans has a affinity with the media.

I have heard him speak on many non rugby sports shows (is there any other type!) and he always comes across well. He says what he really thinks and backs it with good arguments. Managing the media and public perception is a big part of this job

He entered the fray arguing for running rugby and implemented the plan ending up with a Super Rugby Title.

Gee, you could substitute the word 'Cheika' with 'McKenzie' and that would be pretty much what a lot of people were saying about Link before he got the job.

And I've got my doubts that Cheika really wants the job at the moment. If Growden's latest piece on ESPN is to be believed (yes, I know), he claims that Cheika wants a 5 year contract, to still coach the Tahs next year and to have Pulver and a few other unnamed board members tossed. Surely Cheika would know that there's a snowball's chance in hell of the ARU agreeing to that.

Though it would be interesting if Cheika got the Wallabies job and was still allowed to coach the Tahs next season. Do the Tahs continue to play the same way, or does he try to get them to play more of a test match style (i.e. more emphasis on scrums and kicking)? It would give him a head start in developing his style for the RWC but could cost the Tahs in the S15 (e.g. fewer bonus points could mean missing out on home finals).

T

Train Without a Station

Why do we need to have coaches under contract instead of on salary like normal employees.

How many international coaches are poached for a better deal?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I do think Cheika is the best solution. This team is not far away from being the best in the world. If Cheik gives someone else a shot as Interim Coach for the EOYT and he's very successful, the Interim appontee may become the permanent appointee.

Its not worth the chance Chek. Take the job.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Just saw this on Twitter:

NZ's Tony Veitch: Michael Cheika has signed with ARU for 3 yrs. Assistants for spring tour announced tomorrow, potentially Larkham and Foley

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I read that.

Makes absolutely zero sense. Coaching appointments are targeted to commence in accordance with a World Cup cycle. That would leave Cheika with a poor preparation opportunity for the next World Cup, The ARU of replacing their coach with 2 years to go to the World Cup for the 3rd time in the past decade and take the only 3 Super Rugby head coaches to be successful in 2014. Potentially fucks everybody.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Great - positive move towards the future.

There will be no favours for Tahs - Cheika is not that stupid. Best players !!!!

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah I read that.

Makes absolutely zero sense. Coaching appointments are targeted to commence in accordance with a World Cup cycle. That would leave Cheika with a poor preparation opportunity for the next World Cup, The ARU of replacing their coach with 2 years to go to the World Cup for the 3rd time in the past decade and take the only 3 Super Rugby head coaches to be successful in 2014. Potentially fucks everybody.

Agreed, you'd have to think he'd get extended for 2 more years to the end of 2019....if he survives!

Status
Not open for further replies.