• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Next Wallabies Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Do we really need to state the obvious? Are you suggesting anyone really thought (or that it was even implied) he'd sat down and had a personal chat with Cheika?
To me it just came across as someone who's overly sure of himself.

I think if someone says "He/She WILL do so and so, etc, etc, regardless of, etc, etc", that implies a certain knowledge. Did I think anyone here had sat with Cheika and heard that statement? No, but someone else reading it might think so, and pass it on.

Oh, I heard over on GAGR that Cheika said, etc, etc.

Is it implying a fact that is not true as far as we know? Yes.

It could have been framed to say "I think that Cheika will, etc, etc, even if, etc, etc.

We don't deal in rumour, and we don't spread thoughts written as fact.

If that is all too hard to understand, by all means state "facts" elsewhere.

Not sure how many times a mod has to keep saying this before some of you take note.

T

Train Without a Station

So Daz if I said:

"Daz has an improper relationship and weird man-love towards Mitch Inman", that would be wrong?

But if I said "I get the impression from his posts that Daz has and improper relationship and some weird man-love towards Mitch Inman", that would be much more acceptable?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A few thoughts, on all this mess

Firstly Beale should answer to the charges against him. They are serious. If proved (even if only have proved), he will be subject to sanction. The sanction could be termination, but the ARU might find other sanctions appropriate such as an apology, a fine, compulsory training etc. Either way, the matter needs to be progressed quickly and until its resolved, Beale needs to be away from the Wallabies.

Cause of the issues?

It goes deeper than “Beale is an idiot”. For starter, don’t forget that over the last two years we have changed Wallaby coach, captain and the ARU CEO – i.e. all of the key leadership positions within Aus rugby. The replacements were all new to their positions and had little direct prior experience. Then there are other changes on the fringes, like Egerton going and massive changes to the starting team. Collectively, this is a huge and looks like it has caught us out. It also looks like we didn’t really understand all of the causes of disappointing results of the Dean’s era and the impacts of player power (or the toxic environment). Overlay the focus on cost cutting and you get very fertile conditions for issues.

The solution

Unless there is something we don’t know Hooper should stay on as captain for the spring tour. We should appoint an interim coach only at this stage while the ARU works through this in a more orderly manner. I would suggest someone who has experience with the Wallabies, someone like Nucifora, McGahan or even John Connelly. In fact Connelly would be my vote if he is up for it. I would also suggest someone like Bob Dwyer or Rod McQueen spend a month with the ARU (I.e. Bill Pulver) sifting through this debacle to work out what else needs to next. I don’t think we should appoint a permanent coach until this is completed, otherwise we will throw someone else to the wolevs and watch them end up on the scrap heap

I think I have the direct opposite opinion on the current problems and what to do next.

IMO Beale must be shunted if there is an adverse finding and never allowed to come back into the Wallaby environment. He has apologised in the past and what did that amount to?

There has been a lot of change in the past couple of years but on the surface all of those changes were positive and aimed at setting rugby in this country and the Wallabies in particular on the path to success. The sole catalyst for all of the present problems is Kurtley Beale. Beale needs to go, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Build on the changes that have been made.

I think the right solution is to appoint a long term coach right now. If Cheika wants it, he should be appointed. No good putting in a short term coach and expect the newly arrived long term coach to take over the reins with only four matches leading into the RWC. Appointing a short term coach until the end of the RWC also has little going for it imo. What sort of influence will he have on the team, the game plan and structures in that period? If he changes from the present course then when replaced the long term coach will be left in a similar situation to that inherited by Link where everything might need to be reorganised and revamped to align with the "Australian way" of playing. If we want to see the existing Wallaby style continued and improved, Cheika is our man, and that means now.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So Daz if I said:

"Daz has an improper relationship and weird man-love towards Mitch Inman", that would be wrong?

But if I said "I get the impression from his posts that Daz has and improper relationship and some weird man-love towards Mitch Inman", that would be much more acceptable?
Daz might say that he gets the impression that Train Without a Station might be overloading his patch of thin ice.
But I don't know that for sure. :p

D

daz

So Daz if I said:

If you said the first thing, you are opening yourself up to a slander lawsuit. You are stating something as fact, when in reality you have no fucking clue. You are implying we are doing something that is shameful, damaging to others and possibly immoral/illegal.

Do you actually know what my relationship is with Mitch? If so, have at it and don't forget to name your sources. If you have no idea and are just guessing, then I suggest the second paragraph is far more acceptable, don't you?

But that's enough about me. Move on thanks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If Foley, Larkham are being moved in, where does that leave McKay and Blades? Surely they'll be needing a job to keep bread on the table. What I'd do for Link to come back to the Reds and turn it into the us vs them mentality would make my mother blush.

Nah - Link to take over the Brumbies. Certainly on form we wouldn't want the UC Vikings coach in the saddle.

D

daz

Daz might say that he gets the impression that Train Without a Station might be overloading his patch of thin ice.
But I don't know that for sure. :p

Overloading? He's through it already and in the fucking water.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
The Australian is reporting that Michael Cheika has reportedly accepted the Wallabies role and they are just going through the final details.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
yeah the players group wants him to change his name to "the checkster" and go out on the piss with them before they allow him to coach them ???? :eek:

T

Train Without a Station

Hope Benn Robinson was consulted. If I recall he was very unhappy last time he was appointed without being consulted on the matter.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some great news for Aus Rugby if true. Reportedly a chance to stay on at the tahs also. Simple end of season addition of Kuridraini, Speight, slipper, higgenbottom and To'omua and were right (wonder whether Jackpot qualifies by then?)

Status
Not open for further replies.