• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just watched RAMS vs RISING game....what a cracking game...this NRC with new rules rocks....I just don't understand why crowds not getting behind it as some of best attacking rugby on display instead of usual BS penalty shootout..

The new rules need to be adopted at Super Rugby and International level as do they and they will come....

Problem is rugby administration still in amateur era compared to AFL, A-League and even League...

ARU would not know how to build a profitable business if they tried...

T

Train Without a Station

The rules being adopted at super rugby and international level are beyond the ARU's control.

But thanks for slagging off hard working people with your uninformed opinion.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Actually not that uninformed but perhaps rash in my bashing of rugby administration....

Yes appreciate is the IRB but I am just expressing my frustration at the lack of innovation of a great product and now marketed the game and competed with what is a crowded football market.

A-League gone leaps and bounds ahead already...

In terms of rule changes yes other tiers of administration that need to stand up - Northern Hemisphere key honchos particularly slow to grasp need for change..

As for ARU - sorry mate but hard work is fine but without a wining strategy just hard work won't cut it...

Over to you....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Train without a Station you are also missing the bigger picture here that rugby is struggling...

Changes are needed...if you don't grasp that...then most of the hard working people you refer to will need to look for new employment...

Pity you missed the point of comments...

Rugby is in trouble and we have more of a threat than other unions given crowded football market so we should be at forefront of pushing for change...that includes lobbying for changes to rules of the game..

T

Train Without a Station

No mate I got the point. Everything is the ARU's fault. Everything they've ever done was wrong.

ARU is constrained by the international rules of the game which have been successful for all other major nations. No lobbying is going to change that at all. Australia have lobbied many times over the years but do not have the power as one of about 9 major nations.

AFL and NRL has been able to tweak their games to appease the fans. ARU cannot do anything to change the aspect which fans dislike, how is this their own poor management?

The biggest management error that can be attributed to Australian rugby was allowing rugby league to form. But I'm not going to hold a grudge over things that happens 106 years ago.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't disagree Qwerty51 but could even enjoy more growth IMO if were more innovative compared to other codes...

Australia much more dire....yes....but would have thought broadcasters would find new law changes appealing....moreso as more appealing to fans...

Lobbying SANZAR partners for trial of rules in Super Rugby Matches would be good start......maybe have Super Rugby trial matches pre - season played with new rules as first step..

IRB...for international law changes....not going to kid myself that would take more time and effort...

I think the law changes are biggest innovation seen in rugby in my lifetime

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not saying TWAS everything done is wrong but my personal opinion is that rugby adminstrations generally lacked the marketing nous of other codes...

A legacy of coming out of amateur era on not only Australian but international stage perhaps....

Innovation is IMO just not as strong as other codes...even leaving aside rule changes for one moment..

Still stand by this and yes IMO so sorry if you don't like it (and if you work for ARU) but I don't see anywhere near innovation or nous shown by A-League, AFL and even league.

Rugby league has been more successful than union in this country for a reason....A-League has now overtaken rugby as 3rd football code for a reason...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Just watched RAMS vs RISING game..what a cracking game.this NRC with new rules rocks..I just don't understand why crowds not getting behind it as some of best attacking rugby on display instead of usual BS penalty shootout..

The new rules need to be adopted at Super Rugby and International level as do they and they will come..

Problem is rugby administration still in amateur era compared to AFL, A-League and even League.

ARU would not know how to build a profitable business if they tried.

Who do you think put the NRC together?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's the evidence for this?

Couldn't be TV ratings or crowd numbers.

Last season the A League had total crowds of 1,760,508 at an average of 13,041 per match. Super Rugby (in Australia only) had a total crowd figure of 700,040 at an average of 17,501. While Australian super rugby matches also tend to average better than A League matches on fox sports, on aggregate it would also get smashed.

Of course rugby has the Wallabies, but the socceroos get some decent crowds too. And the one off exhibition matches played by big European clubs in Australia sell out the biggest stadiums.

I think Soccer has clearly overtaken rugby in Australia and now has its sights set on the NRL. There are definitely a lot more casual soccer fans and participants in Australia than casual rugby fans. And the A League is now getting more and more of those fans to support it (and not just follow an EPL team).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NRC great concept - that get points for - and good start.....compared to ARC model where they paid ABC to televise matches....!

Lot more to do...sorry rugby administration was getting a D....now I give them a C-...

A-League get an A+.....

AFL has been at A+ for years..

Rugby League a B

Not going to quickly change my marking so quickly after many years of frustration at way this game has been run..

Don't have to share my views....yes NRC is step in right direction....now need to know how to make it successful commercial product watched by many and demanded by broadcasters....without that means nothing...and clearly long way to prove they can do that...

Rugby is not in great shape....need to accept that and buck stops with those who run the game....pure and simple....

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who do you think put the NRC together?

Considering how good the product is on the field, it hasn't been well put together off it.

But given it was rushed together for this year I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt and judge them on what happens in 2015 when they've had a whole year to plan ahead.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep and that is why my comment made about ARU would not know how to build a profitable business....as yes off the field not been so great..

Equally like the sentiment...I want ARU and union to be successful but I also see it at crossroads and will take a lot more (commercially savvy) innovation nous and hard work (but work smart not hard is preference) to see whether they can avoid becoming a shrinking code in the face of the AFL, A-League juggernaut....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last season the A League had total crowds of 1,760,508 at an average of 13,041 per match. Super Rugby (in Australia only) had a total crowd figure of 700,040 at an average of 17,501. While Australian super rugby matches also tend to average better than A League matches on fox sports, on aggregate it would also get smashed.

Of course rugby has the Wallabies, but the socceroos get some decent crowds too. And the one off exhibition matches played by big European clubs in Australia sell out the biggest stadiums.

I think Soccer has clearly overtaken rugby in Australia and now has its sights set on the NRL. There are definitely a lot more casual soccer fans and participants in Australia than casual rugby fans. And the A League is now getting more and more of those fans to support it (and not just follow an EPL team).

How does that make sense, you just provided stats to back up that soccer is in fact not bigger than rugby. Why would you aggregate stats too.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gosh Barbarian glad your not running my business if you are going to tell me because of timing of A-League any comparison is irrelevant.....

That makes no sense to me........I for one only have time to follow a few sporting codes....I watch and get hooked on soccer - I then show more interest in watching English Premier League during A-League season or internationals......and less interested in watching rugby matches...

Flawed argument......

Status
Not open for further replies.