• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tojo007

Frank Row (1)
I was at the Rams game tonight v Vikings....i think you'd be lucky if there were 300...Pitiful turnout....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
300 bullshit. Do you count your toes and come up with 4?

I think it would have been somewhere around 1000. The figure of 1500 is being claimed, which I doubt, unless you're counting volume, of which I provided enough for 500.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
You would have to back the Sea of Blue to get a decent crowd after their win last week combined with the strong side being named at home. Hopefully Leichardt attracts a decent crowd to welcome the Rebels .... sorry the Rising into town.

tojo007

Frank Row (1)
300 bullshit. Do you count your toes and come up with 4?

I think it would have been somewhere around 1000. The figure of 1500 is being claimed, which I doubt, unless you're counting volume, of which provided enough for 500.

You're friendly then....1000 my arse....1500 even further from the truth....

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd like to see the rams do what the Rising did and only open the one area of the stadium, to keep the crowd together. Looking at it on tv the rams crowd seemed spread out over multiple tiers, which is always going to make it look and sound smaller.

If Karmichael Hunt plays a game or two for Brisbane City or QLD Country that would draw a crowd and media attention.

Maybe get an extra game or two broadcast as well.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the ARU really missed a trick by scuttling the Johnny Wilkinson approach. Apparently they thought it would be a 'bad look.'

That thinking is so narrow. The fact is the competition is invisible to the broader sporting public - even the broader rugby supporting public. A marquee player like a Wilkinson or a Brian O'Driscoll would have made a big difference, and it wouldn't have cost the ARU a cent.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think the ARU really missed a trick by scuttling the Johnny Wilkinson approach. Apparently they thought it would be a 'bad look.'

That thinking is so narrow. The fact is the competition is invisible to the broader sporting public - even the broader rugby supporting public. A marquee player like a Wilkinson or a Brian O'Driscoll would have made a big difference, and it wouldn't have cost the ARU a cent.

I think the place for the marquee international will be in a year or two, when the competition has a base and is looking to pull in more fans, ideally when all or nearly all games are telecast. Right now there is no guarantee that the broader supporting public would be able to see a Wilkinson or O'Driscoll play regularly and if the team that signed them always got the telecast game there would be hell to pay. The money will be much better spent when the full product is available for people to see, or at least to help push foxtel (or some other broadcaster) over the line in getting all the games on TV. That will also hopefully coincide with the post world cup period when there should be more retiring stars available for a final hurrah.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd guess if Wilkinson was playing in the NRC Fox Sports would broadcast most or all the matches involving his team, in addition to others.

The only way all the matches will be on TV is if there's an increase in interest. And how does that get created when the competition is virtually invisible? It needs names. You watch what happens when Quade Cooper returns or if Karmichael Hunt plays, or if Izzy ever plays a match for the Stars.

The NRC product is pretty good. The challenge is getting more people to give it a shot and then turn them into fans of a team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let's not get too obsessed about attendances. This is a totally new competition, with totally new teams, and by definition, no traditional support.

Basically, we are starting at the bottom, which is the only place to start. It will be a long, slow, climb to get even a few rungs up the ladder, but it is a climb that we all know will be good for the game as a whole.

Just the fact that fringe Wallabies like Horwill can play at this level is a huge benefit. The fringe Soup players are being given live try-outs, many are called, but few will be chosen, and this is the best way to choose them.

We had to do it, now let's all get behind it, and stop expecting instant success, because that will not happen.

T

Train Without a Station

The TV numbers are the important factor anyway.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
TV numbers are affected by crowds though. The TV viewing experience is a lot better when there's an atmosphere.

T

TOCC

Can we change the name of this thread to Crowds and Ratings watch?

NRC again wasn't in the top 20 programs, i still think it needs to be hitting 50'000 to justify Foxtel's expenditure and also to encourage extra coverage. 1st week was 35'000, and this week again it failed to break into the top 20 so it must have had a similar figure.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can we change the name of this thread to Crowds and Ratings watch?

NRC again wasn't in the top 20 programs, i still think it needs to be hitting 50'000 to justify Foxtel's expenditure and also to encourage extra coverage. 1st week was 35'000, and this week again it failed to break into the top 20 so it must have had a similar figure.

It could have improved by 10,000 viewers and still fallen short. The 20th show on the list rated at 49,000. 11,000 higher then last week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
5:30 Friday NZ Super Rugby derbies would rate 100k. Maybe they should change to that time slot.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If anyone has a recording of the game, do me a favour and pause a frame of the crowd then try a rough count. Easiest thing is to count units of 20 IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.