• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yep Brisbane City vs Melbourne should be a good crowd, Broncos are playing away and based on last weeks performance it should attract a few more casual observers.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seriously?

What competition has started big and then contracted to a sustainable level? The competitions that are run well beyond their means are invariably cancelled due to being unsustainable, including the original ARC.

The prudent thing to do is start small and grow from there which is exactly what the NRC is trying to do.

In terms of things being difficult to change, it is far more difficult to decrease costs than increase them as finances allow.

I'm not talking about starting any bigger in terms of player salaries or bigger venues etc, I'm talking purely about promotion and broadcasting.

The biggest thing holding the NRC back is that most of it can't be seen. This needs to change for the competition to grow in future.

T

TOCC

I'm not talking about starting any bigger in terms of player salaries or bigger venues etc, I'm talking purely about promotion and broadcasting.

The biggest thing holding the NRC back is that most of it can't be seen. This needs to change for the competition to grow in future.

I also think maintaining financial viability is absolutely critical to growing this competition in the future.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How hard will Adelaide support the Perth game I wonder? Usually South Australians are desperate for anyone to notice them ;)

Plus if they want their own team one day...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I also think maintaining financial viability is absolutely critical to growing this competition in the future.

Club rugby hasn't grown beyond a small base so why will the NRC?

The ARU needs to broaden and increase its revenue base and it needs the NRC to become valuable to broadcasters and sponsors. It's simply not going to happen without investing in it - beyond the level of the initial return.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The ARU needs to broaden and increase its revenue base and it needs the NRC to become valuable to broadcasters and sponsors. It's simply not going to happen without investing in it - beyond the level of the initial return.

Club rugby has been shrinking for 20+ years. It used to be much bigger and more prominent.

I agree that the ARU needs to broaden their revenue base but that doesn't happen by losing more money.

I'm still not sure how you think that there was any prospect of the ARC going around for a second year after losing $4.7m in its first year. Even if they'd budgeted to lose half that amount in the second year the ARU couldn't afford to haemorrhage money like that even though on a relative basis they were more cashed up at that point.

They are doing a good thing with the NRC. There is absolutely room for improvement but at this stage it's going well and it's hopefully in a position to not only continue next year but to grow.

It's amazing how many people are already suggesting that the NRC needs an Under 20s tournament below it, a sevens tournament and an expansion to include more teams and we've only had two rounds. People need to realise that the prudent thing is to work slowly and make sure that once they implement something it is sustainable and they don't have to cancel it and other things a year later.

People don't seem to accept that the ARU just doesn't have money to be throwing at things at this stage.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Because the ARU are treating both as 3rd tier.
A huge bridge, and to big to even compare - but the NRL and AFL are using the club comp to maximise the profile of their code.
People have heard of the Shute Shield, know of Super Rugby, but still havent even heard of the NRC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The NRL and the AFL are their code Dave.

If our game was big enough here to have 500+ highly paid professionals we might be in a similar situation but we don't even have half that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
People have heard of the Shute Shield, know of Super Rugby, but still havent even heard of the NRC.

Shute Shield has had decades to grow and it hasn't - the reasons aren't relevant.

Super Rugby is far better attended and televised, even though SS is on FTA.

NRC has barely cleared the birth canal. Its national for a start which immediately puts it above SS in terms of potential.

I see a point down the road where SS clubs could have their own presence in NRC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But if, for eg, 2000 tickets were sold, it would be unlikely that only 1000 turned up. From my position in the stand, I reckon there would have been 300 - 400 on the hill opposite, and the stand was pretty full. I would think upwards of 2000 in the stand.

Have to reference my own post, but it does look that I was on the money about the crowd size. Unfortunately, I didn't pick the winner.:(

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm still not sure how you think that there was any prospect of the ARC going around for a second year after losing $4.7m in its first year. Even if they'd budgeted to lose half that amount in the second year the ARU couldn't afford to haemorrhage money like that even though on a relative basis they were more cashed up at that point.

Super Rugby costs more money for the ARU every year. You've said to me in the past that you can't look at it in isolation as Super Rugby underpins the Wallabies and the Wallabies bring in the cash. Why do you have a different view of the ARC / NRC?

(In the long term I disagree with this philosophy btw, but it's what you've said to me in the past)

There are many people who believe the ARC shouldn't have been cancelled. Bill Pulver being one of them. I mean the fact the NRC is being started now, when the code is struggling so much more is pretty indicative of the fact it should have been kept around with some adjustments.

People don't seem to accept that the ARU just doesn't have money to be throwing at things at this stage.

They do have money though, they just made a big surplus from the Lions tour. And they just put in a chunk of money to bring Karmichael Hunt to rugby! Sorry, I just don't buy that they can't put in $150k to professionally live stream, with commentary all the non-broadcast matches. To me this is a necessary expense.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
They do have money though, they just made a big surplus from the Lions tour. And they just put in a chunk of money to bring Karmichael Hunt to rugby! Sorry, I just don't buy that they can't put in $150k to professionally live stream, with commentary all the non-broadcast matches. To me this is a necessary expense.

The banks said cost of funds are going up so they have to increase rates - mean while profits increase - from rate margin and fees. But they still put a spin on it.

Yeah i like rugby but it feels like the season is over;
Wobs just leaked 50.
Struggle to find a game to go to so i stupidly paid $50 to take 2 kids to the Eagles yesterday - never again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The banks said cost of funds are going up so they have to increase rates - mean while profits increase - from rate margin and fees. But they still put a spin on it.

Yeah i like rugby but it feels like the season is over;
Wobs just leaked 50.
Struggle to find a game to go to so i stupidly paid $50 to take 2 kids to the Eagles yesterday - never again.

Why don't you go down to Brookvale on Thursday evening and watch Rays vs Eages?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thought they were five bucks each

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Why don't you go down to Brookvale on Thursday evening and watch Rays vs Eages?
I will be.
Yes kids are free, but 7 and 9 year olds on Thursday night don't go. The Saturday arvo games whether Shute, NRC, Super, Tests have proven to be succesful but we plug away with fox to increase exposure - dinner Saturday night with guys that enjoy rugby, they'd heard about the NRC but that is all - "has it started yet".

Status
Not open for further replies.