• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 1: Brisbane City v Western Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The flick pass was fine and well positioned. it was Sorovi, wasn't it? He did well in his support play, he just needed to finish it off by collection the pill.

Quade again showed what a playmaker is. He isn't as sharp as in 2011 but he still has the instinct and the creativity. It was a lovely play.

Why can’t Quade throw your standard pass? High percentage play is thru the hands on the catchers chest.

It’s all good and well to point fingwrs at Sorovi but there’s a reason why Quade isn’t in a Brad Thorn coaches team and it’s the low percentage razzle dazzle passes such as this which why coaches have issues with QC (Quade Cooper).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Why can’t Quade throw your standard pass? High percentage play is thru the hands on the catchers chest.

It’s all good and well to point fingwrs at Sorovi but there’s a reason why Quade isn’t in a Brad Thorn coaches team and it’s the low percentage razzle dazzle passes such as this which why coaches have issues with QC (Quade Cooper).

He threw a pass that was onto the catchers chest if he had run on to it. And the flick is meant to obscure the defence from reading the play. Sorovi did well to be there, he just needed to finish it off.

We moan about ball handling skills, but when we see them we moan again.

It also takes a specific occurence in an attempt to tarnish a players impact on the game. Quade played very well, had a great game, nad impacted much of the scoring - like a 10 should. I didn't watch the Drua game, but across the Country and City games, for me Quade was a step above any other 10 playing.

Thorn's coaching is turning a potentially skillful 10 in Stewart into a flyhalf version of "big bopper" centre parings. It's nothing to do with Stewart's skills - he has a nice pass, good kick and is generally robust. But wtf is he doing with his head in the rucks fetching? You're right though, I'd put that down to Thorn. Let's see how it pans out. personally I'd prefer someone like Quade guiding him in game management and picking holes.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
there’s a reason why Quade isn’t in a Brad Thorn coaches team and it’s the low percentage razzle dazzle passes such as this which why coaches have issues with QC (Quade Cooper).

He would still be involved in scoring more points that conceding points against.

He can get frustrating but maybe this is a challenge a coach should accept, Link did and it worked pretty well.

Maybe Thorn should have taken on the challenge as well?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Don’t get me wrong. I love watching Quade play. He is an XFactor

But I know why coaches don’t pick him in their team. That behind the back Harlem globetrotter stuff he does doesn’t belong on a rugby field in the eyes of a purist

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Former Wallaby coach Allan Jones said "If you win without risk, you triumph without glory".

I understand why coaches dont pick him too, but if they accept the challenge then the rewards can be great.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Don’t get me wrong. I love watching Quade play. He is an XFactor

But I know why coaches don’t pick him in their team. That behind the back Harlem globetrotter stuff he does doesn’t belong on a rugby field in the eyes of a purist

Oh colour me pink, I just like my rugby but forever tarnished as not a purist.

EDIT: And in the mean time while the purists shit from height with a clip of one move that Quade made, check out the Home page and the clip in MST's article for some of the positive stuff that even purists surely would be happy with.

Quade's biggest benefit is that he reads the game and sees the holes, the razzle is just a fringe benefit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oh colour me pink, I just like my rugby but forever tarnished as not a purist.

EDIT: And in the mean time while the purists shit from height with a clip of one move that Quade made, check out the Home page and the clip in MST's article for some of the positive stuff that even purists surely would be happy with.

Quade's biggest benefit is that he reads the game and sees the holes, the razzle is just a fringe benefit.

Yep dru, while not a particular fan of QCs ,one of the things he should be given credit for is trying to put players into space, something that is not practiced enough here in Aus I think, too many try to take it into contact.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Former Wallaby coach Allan Jones said "If you win without risk, you triumph without glory".

I understand why coaches dont pick him too, but if they accept the challenge then the rewards can be great.
So what you are saying is that we should be looking to play low risk footy?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This was an entertaining game. In terms of Cooper, he did some really good things and some bad things. Tackling still appeared optional.

The behind the back pass to Sorovi, whilst accurate was also unnecessary. A regulation pass probably puts Sorovi away for a try. Whilst Sorovi should have still caught it, they're running at pace and a behind the back pass comes from a different and unexpected angle to a regulation pass. It's making things more difficult for all concerned for no real benefit.

At the end of the game Marto said that it didn't matter if Cooper made mistakes, he's an entertainer and does some great things. I think Marto is totally off base here and this is a big reason why coaches like Thorn have moved on from Cooper.

Also, when Marto complained about the Brisbane City winger getting yellow carded he was off base with the laws. The law is not a deliberate knock down, it's a deliberate knock forward. Knocking the ball up and failing to catch it is a deliberate knock forward. If doing that prevented a line break you're in trouble.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This was an entertaining game. In terms of Cooper, he did some really good things and some bad things. Tackling still appeared optional.

The behind the back pass to Sorovi, whilst accurate was also unnecessary. A regulation pass probably puts Sorovi away for a try. Whilst Sorovi should have still caught it, they're running at pace and a behind the back pass comes from a different and unexpected angle to a regulation pass. It's making things more difficult for all concerned for no real benefit.

At the end of the game Marto said that it didn't matter if Cooper made mistakes, he's an entertainer and does some great things. I think Marto is totally off base here and this is a big reason why coaches like Thorn have moved on from Cooper.

Also, when Marto complained about the Brisbane City winger getting yellow carded he was off base with the laws. The law is not a deliberate knock down, it's a deliberate knock forward. Knocking the ball up and failing to catch it is a deliberate knock forward. If doing that prevented a line break you're in trouble.
Such a terrible rule. Nearly as bad as mauls.

........ maybe i should just watch league heh.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Quade doing Quade things..

View attachment 10248

yeah, I love QC (Quade Cooper) but that was unnecessary. As others have said a ball in two hands conventional pass sets Sorovi (and his support) away for a try.

The behind the back pass is inaccurate and Sorovi is momentarily blocked from the ball coming as its coming from behind QC (Quade Cooper).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah, I love QC (Quade Cooper) but that was unnecessary. As others have said a ball in two hands conventional pass sets Sorovi (and his support) away for a try.

The behind the back pass is inaccurate and Sorovi is momentarily blocked from the ball coming as its coming from behind QC (Quade Cooper).

I feel like moments like this and his decision to turn down 3 points in the club rugby semi final and do a cross field kick are the kind of actions taken by someone who isn't taking what they're doing seriously enough. It's like he's there to have fun whereas others are potentially playing for their careers etc.

If I was Brad Thorn I'd have probably watched that game on Sunday and thought that I made the right choice not having him as part of the squad in 2018.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
What a crowd!!! And a cracking good game except for the first yellow card. North’s Management and QRU deserve some credit. For the first time I felt this NRC concept is taking a strong hold in the heartland. The Qld City v Qld Country game should be a Blockbuster.

I was pleasantly surprised at the organisation that went into this game. Car parking management was first class, and plenty of catering facilities.And lots of kids having a good time.
There was a feeling of professional rugby admin neatly wrapped up into premier club atmosphere, and the quality of the game was very impressive for the start of the NRC season - more please.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If I was Brad Thorn I'd have probably watched that game on Sunday and thought that I made the right choice not having him as part of the squad in 2018.

I would have watched it and thought why can no other 10 in the country take the ball so close to the line and get a team on the front foot....imagine what my well oiled forwards could do if we were going forward when we got the ball.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Surely, as a competent and ambitious coach and manager of men, Brad must watch QC (Quade Cooper) and think about what they could achieve together if Brad could help QC (Quade Cooper) achieve his potential.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surely, as a competent and ambitious coach and manager of men, Brad must watch QC (Quade Cooper) and think about what they could achieve together if Brad could help QC (Quade Cooper) achieve his potential.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any evidence of that. I have seen a rookie coach put aside talent that may be a challenge to him. He has opted for youth with minimal experience and who are unlikely to question authority plus absolute team men (Lance, Lucas, Toua) to toe the line

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I haven't seen any evidence of that. I have seen a rookie coach put aside talent that may be a challenge to him. He has opted for youth with minimal experience and who are unlikely to question authority plus absolute team men (Lance, Lucas, Toua) to toe the line

This is sad in the extreme. But it’s hard to reach a different conclusion.

It also begs for a strong CEO to “guide” the coaching team toward appropriate use of the resources that have been provided.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The QRU definitely seem happy for him to pick the players he wants at the expense of maximising their current squad and results in favour of an expected longer term benefit.

It seems clear they've decided Thorn is far more the future of the Reds than Cooper.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The QRU definitely seem happy for him to pick the players he wants at the expense of maximising their current squad and results in favour of an expected longer term benefit.

It seems clear they've decided Thorn is far more the future of the Reds than Cooper.

It is a completely unnecessary polemic. Why the hell does the world have to so often present falsely in black or white?

Status
Not open for further replies.