• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Round 5: Rams v QLD Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rams: 50 (Tries: T. Viiga (15), L. Smart (22), P. Asquith (37), B. Paenga-Amosa (44), A. Latunipulu (62), L. Smart (80), Penalty Try (80); Conversions : P. Asquith (38), P. Asquith (45), P. Asquith (63), P. Asquith (80)
Country: 46 (Tries: L. McNamara (5), T. Banks (17), T. Pincus (20), A. Casey (31), A. Scott-Young (34), M. Jones (54); Conversions: M. Mason (18), M. Mason (21), M. Mason (31), M. Mason (35), M. Mason (54))

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda: The game was Country's to win, and they blew it, even though their final try was a bit questionable.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Mungo throws the ball out. WTF?

That could cost Country the game.

Edit: & it does. Is it the Mungo's fault or should their Coaches explain the Laws of the Rugby to them at some stage in their transition from the dark side to Heavensgame, emphasising where there may be differences between the two codes.

• 50% Player
  • 50% Team's recruitment (be it coaching, management, dot dot dot)
In my opinion, as harsh as it sounds, QRU/Reds should not have recruited and then retained the services of this player.

But, part of the NRC's purpose is as a development for pro players. The bloke should be able to learn, and hopefully does.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
  • 50% Player
In my opinion, as harsh as it sounds, QRU/Reds should not have recruited and then retained the services of this player.

But, part of the NRC's purpose is as a development for pro players. The bloke should be able to learn, and hopefully does.
To be fair, he had been very good until then.

Terrible mistake though.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
  • 50% Player

It seems to happen more often then not in the first season for backs converts. They all do seem to learn quick after a yellow card or a result like this, just need the swift kick up the arse to break the instinct. Better it happens at this level.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Mungo throws the ball out. WTF?

That could cost Country the game.

Edit: & it does. Is it the Mungo's fault or should their Coaches explain the Laws of the Rugby to them at some stage in their transition from the dark side to Heavensgame, emphasising where there may be differences between the two codes.

Izzy did something similar in his early days. Don't blame the player, they have spent years in another code, it takes time to throw off long-held instincts. Not much time to think, it is just a learned reaction.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Which should hopefully mean he learns from it quickly
The lad in question will undoubtedly learn from this, and that is a positive thing. He will probably continue his professional sporting career with this as "just one of those things".

There are a few players in the Q Country team who are at the peak of their rugby "career" at NRC and they will never cross the gap from club/semi pro to professional rugby. I feel sad for them. They have lost a game because a professional player "needed to learn" something.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The lad in question will undoubtedly learn from this, and that is a positive thing. He will probably continue his professional sporting career with this as "just one of those things".

There are a few players in the Q Country team who are at the peak of their rugby "career" at NRC and they will never cross the gap from club/semi pro to professional rugby. I feel sad for them. They have lost a game because a professional player "needed to learn" something.

A bit tough, Hugh. Learning is a complex business. As I just posted, Izzy made a similar mistake early in his career. Did you feel sad for his team-mates?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Instinct and fatigue collided. That isn't going to do anything except educate him.

What if it had been a schoolboy rugby star diving onto a player on the ground because he was careless? The result is the same.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
A bit tough, Hugh. Learning is a complex business. As I just posted, Izzy made a similar mistake early in his career. Did you feel sad for his team-mates?
Izzy did it in a trial match. It was Naiyaravoro who did it in a real game but still I think the Tahs won both matches. I don't know why its not the first thing a coach addresses when inducting an league convert.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This is his second year back. He played rugby growing up and is from a rugby family.

I don't think instincts were the problem. I think he just thought he could get away with. Or didn't think.

I feel sorry for his team mates too, but like in every game, one individual act, no matter how bad, didn't cost country the game. They should never have been in that position given they had 46 points on the board.

He was probably close to best on field prior to that point.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Indeed.

Two Qld teams …

… 7th and 8th on the log with one win from nine, all up.

So winning the NRC caused the Reds to be shit, I am predicting that going shit in NRC this season will mean the Reds will be awesome!

Reactions: TSR

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Loved the game.

I was pretty impressed with the Referee, Did not hear much from her and she did not want to be the centre of attention. I think she could have used her cards a bit more. I was originally a little concerned she would actually be card happy to "prove" she was in charge and would not take shit from the players.

I did laugh at one of the first breakdowns when a player yelled out "sir".

I was amazed to see Skelton on for 86 minutes. Good effort but is he actually fit? Jogging for 86 minutes does not mean you are necessarily fit. I wonder what Cheika will think? He ran at Thorn speed for the whole game.

I am still impressed with Duncan P (minus the pass out!!!) and think he will be good at 12 in a Red jersey outside Cooper.

I was really impressed with the QC (Quade Cooper) 16, he was grabbing his opportunity to be on the field and looked like a handy fetcher if he gets no time at hooker.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Amy Perrett did okay, I reckon. I admit a bit of pro-Eastwood bias.

Hadn't thought about the old "sir" habit? What should the players call her? Ma'am? Sounds a bit stuffy.

Miss? Nup.

Maybe just call her Ref. Anyway, I call her gorgeous, in a non-sexist way.

Status
Not open for further replies.