• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi all - I'm keen to catch my first AAGPS First XV game when I'm in Sydney next. As you might expect the official website isn't much help, but I've managed to extract the following information for August 12.

1ST XV & 2ND XV – GPS Competition – Round 5 – J v I, K v N, E v S

Can someone with a bit of local knowledge interpret that for me? Basically I'm interested in what you might see as the pick of the round, and if there is a traditional rivalry and/or a bit of potential atmosphere.

Cheers

Here's my suggestion Eric.
If you want to experience the passionate heartland of GPS rugby go to J versus I. That's Joeys versus Riverview at Hunters Hill. Always a close game with plenty of passion.

If you want to see the finest GPS team and experience the best match day pie in Sydney go to E versus S. That is Shore versus Scots at Northbridge. Based on current form though this could be a one sided affair. Scots current champions and looking strong, Shore the battlers of GPS rugby.

And if you want to experience the opulence of GPS schools and see a top ranking side then K versus N. That is Kings versus Newington at North Parramatta, should be a good game but with Kings heavily favoured based on early season form. Newington not as strong as previous years.

Without wishing to denigrate any of the other schools or matches I'd suggest Joeys would be the pick of the day.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hi all - I'm keen to catch my first AAGPS First XV game when I'm in Sydney next. As you might expect the official website isn't much help, but I've managed to extract the following information for August 12.

Can someone with a bit of local knowledge interpret that for me? Basically I'm interested in what you might see as the pick of the round, and if there is a traditional rivalry and/or a bit of potential atmosphere.

Cheers

J v I = Joeys v Riverview at Hunters Hill

K v N = Kings v Newington at Kings

E v S = Shore v Scots at Northbridge

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I enjoyed watching Angus Bell run around for New. He broke the line and set up many tries. Rixon from Shore tried hard all afternoon. Shore made too many mistakes. Apart from that, not much to report.
Except so much back chat from New players to the refs in the lower grades. It looked like a card was coming for a New player that just didn't stop arguing with the ref. First grade players were fine. Why do these lower grade players think they can argue with refs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the only loer grade game that I saw was the 2nds, and both sides seemed to be giving the referee a bit of chat. I would point out though that it was a Shore player who was given a yellow card in that game for back-chatting the referee.

Chris F

Bob McCowan (2)
Well, the only loer grade game that I saw was the 2nds, and both sides seemed to be giving the referee a bit of chat. I would point out though that it was a Shore player who was given a yellow card in that game for back-chatting the referee.
In u15's it was a New player given a yellow for foul play then backchat straight after.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I think I'm happier. Not only did the boys in black and white come away with an impressive win, but I was able to have a Shore pie for lunch.

Seriously Azzuri, you weren't exaggerating - simply and without question the best pie I have ever eaten (and I am partial to a pie).

Yes indeed @QH, the Shore pies are the pinnacle of the pie makers craft. I acept no substitutes.

Disappointingly the game day fare at Colts matches this year has fallen well short of the standards set by the AAGPS canteens. If it wasn't for the fact that they also sell beer and wine I'd almost consider byo.

I'm still working through the menu offered at the Shute shield club's home matches.

Yesterday I was at Randwick and was forced to endure a sausage role that tasted like it had been extruded from the back passage of one of the hay burners up the road. It was duly dispatched to the bin after one bite and after washing the taste out of my mouth with a plastic cup of "red wine" I thought I'd give their pies an opportunity to recover the situation. The pie menu had three offerings and as I was feeling cheated by my first attempt at satiating my hunger I opted for the steak and onion AND a butter chicken pie. The steak and onion pie was average but the butter chicken was explosive. A spicy mix of butter chicken gravy and chunky pieces of chicken capped off with the time delayed laxative effect of swallowing two litres of Ganges river water. Certainly rivalled the clean outs I was watching on the field and may explain why the ref had one of the touchies stationed outside the Kharzie with his flag and a box of Lomotil.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Don't think so but I wasn't close to the action for the Shore card. It looked like the card was for something illegal at the kick off. However, I was very close to the New 9 on 3 occasions arguing with the ref. It was even worse in the 4s. I think it was the same #.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don't think so but I wasn't close to the action for the Shore card. It looked like the card was for something illegal at the kick off. However, I was very close to the New 9 on 3 occasions arguing with the ref. It was even worse in the 4s. I think it was the same #.

I was less than 20 metres from it. It was for backchat.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In u15's it was a New player given a yellow for foul play then backchat straight after.

And in the 16Ds a Shore player was yellow carded for foul play and the referee spoke to both teams about too much chat.

Which only proves that players from both schools were at it, which was what I said earlier.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)

Cheers

Sure is. Head to Knox grammar on the Pacific Highway Warawee and watch Knox take on arch rivals Barker in what will be a titanic match. Both sides had 3 players in the NSW1s run on side in the penultimate game of the recent National schoolboy rugby champs.

In terms of rivalry and tradition it does not get any bigger in schoolboy rugby.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
In terms of rivalry and tradition it does not get any bigger in schoolboy rugby.

I'm sorry RS, your first paragraph was fine and then the meter went wild when you typed the last sentence ...

IMG_2994.JPG

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Summary of some results from Northbridge yesterday:

1sts New 51-29
2nds New 26-8
16A New (score unknown)
15A Shore defeated Cranbrook comfortably
15B Shore def Newington
14A unknown played offsite
13A New 24-14

Seems that Shore 15As have returned to the field, although for some reason they played Cranbrook rather than Newington.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Here's my suggestion Eric.
If you want to experience the passionate heartland of GPS rugby go to J versus I. That's Joeys versus Riverview at Hunters Hill. Always a close game with plenty of passion.

If you want to see the finest GPS team and experience the best match day pie in Sydney go to E versus S. That is Shore versus Scots at Northbridge. Based on current form though this could be a one sided affair. Scots current champions and looking strong, Shore the battlers of GPS rugby.

And if you want to experience the opulence of GPS schools and see a top ranking side then K versus N. That is Kings versus Newington at North Parramatta, should be a good game but with Kings heavily favoured based on early season form. Newington not as strong as previous years.

Without wishing to denigrate any of the other schools or matches I'd suggest Joeys would be the pick of the day.

That's a perfect rundown. Thanks mate!

Chris F

Bob McCowan (2)
Summary of some results from Northbridge yesterday:

1sts New 51-29
2nds New 26-8
16A New (score unknown)
15A Shore defeated Cranbrook comfortably
15B Shore def Newington
14A unknown played offsite
13A New 24-14

Seems that Shore 15As have returned to the field, although for some reason they played Cranbrook rather than Newington.

The Shore 15A's are still playing but will play ad-hoc games as and when they can be organised. They played Cranbrook because Cranbrook A's did not want to play Trinity for reasons similar to why Shore wouldn't play Newington. I was told at the ground that Trinity played Newington A's although I can't confirm that. Shore 15A's won by about 9 tries to 1.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Shore 15A's are still playing but will play ad-hoc games as and when they can be organised. They played Cranbrook because Cranbrook A's did not want to play Trinity for reasons similar to why Shore wouldn't play Newington. I was told at the ground that Trinity played Newington A's although I can't confirm that. Shore 15A's won by about 9 tries to 1.

I can confirm that Newington 15As played Trinity 15As.

Status
Not open for further replies.