• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Having watched Scots play New and Waves in 2 consecutive weeks, I'd have to agree. Waves looked like they had a lot more points in them.

When is Angus Bell due back?

Also is Tolu Koula likely to get a run in 1sts?

I indicated in an earlier post to SDW that Angus Bell was still out, but I was looking for him in the front row. Have just noticed that he has been named at No 8 this week.

Koula playing 16As, so I assume he'll be available off the bench if required. Don't think he will be in starting team in the short term based on trials to date.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scots vs Auggies - one key difference between these two teams that I believe will have a large bearing on the outcome will be discipline; and specifically in relation to how the teams will deal with the referee decisions that will not go their way.
My snouts tell me that Auggies do not cope well when they believe they get the raw end of the prawn with perceived bad calls; speaking to an Auggies supporter last Sunday, he told me that the game against Newington would not have been as close as it was had the Auggies players were not binned for lack of self-discipline in the 2nd half. I also know the ref that did the game Aug vs Waverley, and he told me a very similar story – players questioning decisions and the manner that they did so as well; they lost a couple of players to the bin with that attitude
From reviewing sidesteppa’s vids of Scots this season, they appear to just get on with the game if a decision goes against them; largely I believe due to the Brian Smith influence.
Make no mistake, this game could well and truly be decided by the team that simply gets on with the job rather than trying to change a refs mind on a supposed crook call…
Based on this I think it will be Scots by 21+

Have heard the same re Augustines. Can't see them getting close to be honest. Agree with your assessment.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My tips

Scots to have too much class with the slow-cooked lamb-shank and red-wine pies being a big hit at the Blackwatch. Scots by a couple of dozen.

Trinity will get over Shore if they can replicate the same spice as found in the Summer Hill Chicken and curry pie as found in the Village Patisserie. Trinity by a couple of bites.

Kings will use Stannies as an opportunity to trial some new ideas. Looking forward to seeing how the Cajun Pork and Beef Cheese Pie works out. Kings in a canter followed by a slow gallop.

Joeys will stop indulging in new fan-dangled recipes and will return to a more traditional pork and black pudding creation. Meat and blood. This should them get in by 10 over Barker who have had great success this season with their northern steak and Stilton pie.

Riverview will use their local knowledge which will see their Balkan lamb and leek pie (wrapped in delicate filo pastry) be a far superior combination than the Knox effort which has been more of a water sprouts and baby greens. View by at least dozen lobster tails

Waverley should easily beat the Stanmore lads who have found that their pie does not contain enough pork and taro root as their once did. Waves comfortably by 20.

Piggy_black_pie_3__ml.jpg

Why do I feel like our beloved Azzuri is being channelled via Joker!!! Well done Joker you are setting an appropriate tone for the season ahead! Good luck to all teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Scots vs Auggies - one key difference between these two teams that I believe will have a large bearing on the outcome will be discipline; and specifically in relation to how the teams will deal with the referee decisions that will not go their way.
My snouts tell me that Auggies do not cope well when they believe they get the raw end of the prawn with perceived bad calls; speaking to an Auggies supporter last Sunday, he told me that the game against Newington would not have been as close as it was had the Auggies players were not binned for lack of self-discipline in the 2nd half. I also know the ref that did the game Aug vs Waverley, and he told me a very similar story – players questioning decisions and the manner that they did so as well; they lost a couple of players to the bin with that attitude
From reviewing sidesteppa’s vids of Scots this season, they appear to just get on with the game if a decision goes against them; largely I believe due to the Brian Smith influence.
Make no mistake, this game could well and truly be decided by the team that simply gets on with the job rather than trying to change a refs mind on a supposed crook call…
Based on this I think it will be Scots by 21+

SRF,

Agree with you on your Auggies observations.
I think the Scots forwards are just too well drilled and rightly full of confidence.

The thing that did strike me in the Auggies V Waves game was the class of the Auggies backs, and I believe their star half back was out that game. Whilst the Scots back line was better than I first thought, and outplayed the waves last weekend, this Auggies back line has some seriously good athletes, better than Scots and Waves imo.

IF, and a big IF, Auggies happen to get off to a flyer, the confidence of this back line could put on a big score.
1 minor detail, they will need some ball!

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why do I feel like our beloved Azzuri is being channelled via Joker!!! Well done Joker you are setting an appropriate tone for the season ahead! Good luck to all teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. That pie looks extremely dodgy to me. Is that a pommy pork pie with congealed fat in the middle?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^
Agree, QH. The Joker’s offering looks dodgy-as (not even warm!)
NFM = Not for Me!

Will keep my eyes peeled for something worthy of the hungry hordes on this thread.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
SRF,

Agree with you on your Auggies observations.
I think the Scots forwards are just too well drilled and rightly full of confidence.

The thing that did strike me in the Auggies V Waves game was the class of the Auggies backs, and I believe their star half back was out that game. Whilst the Scots back line was better than I first thought, and outplayed the waves last weekend, this Auggies back line has some seriously good athletes, better than Scots and Waves imo.

IF, and a big IF, Auggies happen to get off to a flyer, the confidence of this back line could put on a big score.
1 minor detail, they will need some ball!

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

And therein is the problem. Based on recent form, Scots forwards will dominate possession. Further, Scots defence has been outstanding. I agreed though Auggies need to attack through their backs to be any chance. Waverley last week generally went no where with their pick and drive.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
I am hoping Steppa travels up to Waitara as there is keen interest in that game! Agree match of the round.

My tips

Scots provides a "character building" opportunity for Auggies by 45.

Trinity over Shore by 50

Kings over Stannies by 12

Joeys in a tight one by 5 over Barker. Thirds to Joeys over Oakhill by 21

Riverview use home advantage over Knox by 14

Waverley dominate Newington comfortably by 30
Regret Hornsby too far, need to get back for wife's birthday. I will be out but won't decide venue until the last minute, will depend on whether I'm meeting friends. Agree with outcomes as above, except Barker to win at home by one or two.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I indicated in an earlier post to SDW that Angus Bell was still out, but I was looking for him in the front row. Have just noticed that he has been named at No 8 this week.
Interesting selection. Initially thought he musn't be quite ready for front row. But then again, he is mobile enough to play 8, is a very damaging runner and has good ball skills. Will be hard to contain.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys A teams are playing after 12pm today.
The 13A, 16A and 1st/2nd's (except the 15A and 14A) are playing Barker.
Most are recording results as expected for the variation of team grades