• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF,

Whilst this is true to an extent, but, if Riverview happens to have a weak age group or season, this could see Joeys and View in different divisions.

And historically, no matter the strength of the Riverview's team, against Joeys it always seems to be a cracker with plenty of heart, blood, sweat and tears.

My fear is that with different skill based divisions, this could see these matchups abandoned depending on the year, however this would see the rivalry potentially grow stronger and see teams working harder just to have this hallowed match-up.

Lots to think about.

Hammer.

To be honest I can't see either school not being in the top grade, along with nearly all of the other GPS schools.
A divisional comp should also give the schools the added incentive to ensure their rugby program across the age groups is as strong as it can be. Which, you would think, would only improve the quality of school boy footy, and hopefully beyond.

It is not an easy thing to do,however, I believe in NZ that is how they structure their schools, into divisions, and as we well know, they are not bad at footy!

T

The Hammer

To be honest I can't see either school not being in the top grade, along with nearly all of the other GPS schools.
A divisional comp should also give the schools the added incentive to ensure their rugby program across the age groups is as strong as it can be. Which, you would think, would only improve the quality of school boy footy, and hopefully beyond.

It is not an easy thing to do, however, I believe in NZ that is how they structure their schools, into divisions, and as we well know, they are not bad at footy!

You raise a good point, I am uncultured and unversed in the quality of rugby union within the public school system, however if you are correct in saying that all, if not most, gps schools are in the top division, then this idea continues to grow on me.

Hammer.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
And historically, no matter the strength of the Riverview's team, against Joeys it always seems to be a cracker with plenty of heart, blood, sweat and tears.

The best weekend of the season when the Marists take on the Jesuits
There has though in recent year seen little success for the Wolves of Lane Cove
I present the following facts from season 2019

July 27 SJC v SIC

Joeys won 27 games
View won 4 games (5ths/9ths over SJC 11ths/15G/13B)

BTW, Hammer I can't stop watching this video. Were you at the match?
Best finish ever.

watch

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)

July 27 SJC v SIC

Joeys won 27 games

Best finish ever.

watch

I’ve also watched that video exceeding 20 times. Unfortunate turn of events for View on their home field but one of the greatest finishes of the decade nonetheless.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)

July 27 SJC v SIC

Joeys won 27 games

Best finish ever.

watch

Joker,
What a finish.
I’ll never forget where I was on this fateful day. Sitting on the sideline, in my trusty BCF camping chair [it has a cooler in the armrest!] I believe you can see me in the video at about 0:23! I’m wearing the red hat.

May I ask where you were, Joker? As an avid joeys supporter I’m sure you remember the day vividly.

TME

T

The Hammer

July 27 SJC v SIC

Joeys won 27 games

Best finish ever.

watch

Joker, joker, joker.

I was indeed watching this game.

Such heartbreak.

After seeing my younger nephew get narrowly beaten in the 16a’s for Riverview, I looked for resolve of my disappointment in the 1st XV fixture. And for a brief few seconds, it looked likely. After Dom Easy crossed in the corner in front of the Marist boys, I had hope.

Only to be crushed on the final joeys kick off and rubbed in with the carry on from the young old boys.

I proceeded to drown my sorrows in a couple of schooners at the Diddy post game, the walk was gruelling. I was heckled by joeys fans driving by. I’ve never felt such sheer disappointment.

Terrific contest nonetheless.

Hammer.

set_play

Frank Row (1)

July 27 SJC v SIC

Joeys won 27 games

Best finish ever.

watch

Unfortunately I couldn’t make it to this game, but I was at HH to see the boys thoroughly shut down Scots on a windy windy day

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Greetings Joker,

Thoughts on O'Kane moving from 6 last year to 8 i hear now.

Will test his ability to move the ball from behind the scrum and the vital link on set pieces coming off a scrum.

Thoughts?

TDO.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
I’ve also watched that video exceeding 20 times. Unfortunate turn of events for View on their home field but one of the greatest finishes of the decade nonetheless.

I agree TME, was a nail-biter nevertheless and the late afternoon game fitted the theme perfectly with "technical difficulties" of the fallen post.

One for the ages, great performance by both sides.

TDO.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Joker, joker, joker.

After seeing my younger nephew get narrowly beaten in the 16a’s for Riverview...

Hammer.

Hammer,

That 16A game was indeed one of the great contests. Joeys needed to win to remain undefeated and Riverview had a chance to grab a share of the premiership with a win at home.

Unfortunately for Riverview 16As, Bird and Cressey had been promoted to Opens and Joeys lost Kanaan to the 2nds.

The game was played on Riverview No 4 which was an absolute dust bowl. Joeys won 10-8 - two unconverted tries to Riverview's try and a penalty goal.

I believe that this was the first time in this age group that Joeys had beaten Riverview, (Joeys had certainly lost 14A and 15A games) and many of the boys that played in that 16A game are now in the 1sts and 2nds, so expect another cracking contest when the main event comes round next month.

INP

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Greetings, Alias: "ItsNotPink", "INP" respectively.

Yes witnessed this game,

Absolute stunner by both, and yes was a dustbowl;

Would've been Views for the taking if Bird and Cressey were within the team I believe,

Nevertheless, it was extremely windy up there at 4th field.

Cordially, TDO.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

It is not an easy thing to do,however, I believe in NZ that is how they structure their schools, into divisions, and as we well know, they are not bad at footy!

There was a couple of meetings of headmasters and Rugby heads 2-3 years ago (with some encouragement from RA) where a change to the current association format was discussed. One piece of feedback I received was that it was shot down pretty quickly by GPS headmasters as the thought of Joeys not playing View or Scots vs Kings just wasnt palatable. You're fighting 150 years of history at the moment which I dont see changing any time soon.

I personally see the current cross association trials situation a bit unedifying from the perspective that some schools treat it as exactly that (trials) whereas some clearly have their 1st XV set and turn up to win. That is, the games dont count for anything so you see some strange results.

Trials also expose another problem with the concept of grading comps by school. You get the situation where a school with depth (30+ teams) has to host two schools with less depth and you cannot level off 1sts vs 1sts, 2nds, vs 2nds etc OR they host one school and struggle to get games for their D's, E's and F's which is a real shame.

I am not down on the concept of creating better comp structures but at the moment one of the more manageable aspects of GPS is that all schools go down to at least D's or E's per age group meaning logistics are more manageable (except for Joeys who go well beyond F's which is the anomaly).

PersonOfOfficialdom

Frank Row (1)
Hullo all.

Long time viewer here, first-time poster; I am truly honoured to be part of this esteemed institution.

I have been eagerly and constantly following this thread in expectation of the commencement of the AAGPS rugby season, my personal tip is for the boys out at HH to take the trophy this year.

I hope you can all make this a welcoming environment for myself.

Kindest of regards,

POO.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Greetings Joker,

Thoughts on O'Kane moving from 6 last year to 8 i hear now.

Will test his ability to move the ball from behind the scrum and the vital link on set pieces coming off a scrum.

Thoughts?

TDO.

O'Kane has good hands as seen with his linking abilities when playing league. His issue maybe his desire to take the ball too often. I feel he will focus on defense erly in a game as his tackle rate is high, conditioning excellent and his strength at the break down are assets. Later in games, he will be very effective with tiring oppositions, many of whom will be hurting from his tackles.

I will be hoping he takes on the playing style from one the best number 8's Joeys had in 2004 captain Pauliasi Taumoepeau. "Pauli" was known for his excellent line out play at third pod, running off the number 10 and taking the inside ball in support. He did have the advantage of KB (Kurtley Beale) as his fly-half, but he still had to run at the holes. He would follow the ball player and back up. Hence he scored a try in every competition game, something KB (Kurtley Beale) never did

In 2004-2007 the team worked on attacking the space, rather than attacking the man. Something Joeys finally discovered again in 2018, 2019. The era of running over others has gone since all schools (expect Shore I'm afraid) have developed similar size cattle. Now it comes down to rugby smarts, rather than rugby tanks. If the Joeys 10 can position a hard running O'Kane hitting a gap, then he will be hard to stop. Many players will make an error of trying to take him high but the Joeys boys have developed their core and leg strength and they are working on driving through.

Here is an example or running at the gap (2.03 in the video), using your leg strength to stay upright. Watch how the Joeys player attacks the space, get dragged down, but is able to stay on his feet and off load. Plus watch at 2.55 again for O'Kane using his leg and core strength. (This is something TSC brought more of to the game in their premiership run)

The change in the Healy Centre has been notable since Kevin O'Kane turned up. The 1st XV still have S&C input from past coaches as well. While the Joeys boys do not have modern gyms, they believe in hard work, smart work and plenty of it.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Hullo all.

Long time viewer here, first-time poster; I am truly honoured to be part of this esteemed institution.

I have been eagerly and constantly following this thread in expectation of the commencement of the AAGPS rugby season, my personal tip is for the boys out at HH to take the trophy this year.

Kindest of regards,

POO.

Welcome PersonOfOfficialdom.

This is indeed a great forum with common interest in the success of GPS Rugby (and Schoolboy Rugby generally).

Great to have you on board.

Regards
ItsNotPink

the discreet poo

Frank Row (1)
Hullo all.

Kindest of regards,

POO.

Greetings,

Interesting take on the HH boys winning another consecutive premiership, however from word of mouth I have discovered that the backline is lacking in size. Shore has recently installed a gymnasium make over, and perhaps their facilities may grant them a competitive advantage of strength and size. I believe that the shore men will prevail this season providing they utilise their rich resources to surpass the other colleges in the physical development of its rugby players.

Warm Regards,

the discreet poo.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
In 2004-2007 the team worked on attacking the space, rather than attacking the man. Something Joeys finally discovered again in 2018, 2019. The era of running over others has gone since all schools (expect Shore I'm afraid) have developed similar size cattle. Now it comes down to rugby smarts, rather than rugby tanks. If the Joeys 10 can position a hard running O'Kane hitting a gap, then he will be hard to stop. Many players will make an error of trying to take him high but the Joeys boys have developed their core and leg strength and they are working on driving through.

On this point, yes joeys have adopted this form in their play style.

i.e. More running rugby.

With the rest of the GPS following suit with some schools applying athletics training comprised with gym sessions, i feel as though Joeys have a "headstart" on these concepts being in front of other schools. Evident in their premiership haul.

Joker?

TDO.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
There was a couple of meetings of headmasters and Rugby heads 2-3 years ago (with some encouragement from RA) where a change to the current association format was discussed. One piece of feedback I received was that it was shot down pretty quickly by GPS headmasters as the thought of Joeys not playing View or Scots vs Kings just wasnt palatable. You're fighting 150 years of history at the moment which I dont see changing any time soon.

I personally see the current cross association trials situation a bit unedifying from the perspective that some schools treat it as exactly that (trials) whereas some clearly have their 1st XV set and turn up to win. That is, the games dont count for anything so you see some strange results.

Trials also expose another problem with the concept of grading comps by school. You get the situation where a school with depth (30+ teams) has to host two schools with less depth and you cannot level off 1sts vs 1sts, 2nds, vs 2nds etc OR they host one school and struggle to get games for their D's, E's and F's which is a real shame.

I am not down on the concept of creating better comp structures but at the moment one of the more manageable aspects of GPS is that all schools go down to at least D's or E's per age group meaning logistics are more manageable (except for Joeys who go well beyond F's which is the anomaly).

I think your first point outlines the real reason why there won't be a change, and I would also be surprised if there ever was.
Whilst there is no doubt that history is important and precious, I wouldn't like it to be the primary inhibitor to the future and improvement of the game, just my opinion.

As previously mentioned, it is difficult to see most/all GPS not being in the top division, so the historical ties would continue.
If any school starts consistently falling away from the pack, then you could argue that the merit/enjoyment of comfortably beating that school wears thin. A seeded comp should also provide inducement for schools to ensure the strength of their program, unless they choose otherwise.

I differ in my thoughts about the trials, I don't think any serious rugby school really treats these as just warm ups, they all want to win regardless,it's in their DNA. All sides are trying, typically have their best side on the field, and some of the best seasons games have been in these trials, imo.

There are also a number of schools outside the GPS who have sufficient depth across the ages.
Managing these match up logistics will always be required.

Anyway, who is the fav in the GPS comp this year?

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I differ in my thoughts about the trials, I don't think any serious rugby school really treats these as just warm ups, they all want to win regardless,it's in their DNA. All sides are trying, typically have their best side on the field, and some of the best seasons games have been in these trials, imo.

Last year one of the big GPS schools fielded only Yr12 boys in one of their trials and made significant interchanges at half time just to enable as many of their final year cohort to say that they played 1st 15's. There was also the case last year of two of the GPS schools allowing their top rugby league players to miss some trials to play in some important league game(s). Whilst I agree most will take it seriously and there have been (and will be) great games there was anecdotal evidence of some schools treating some trials differently to GPS games.

Anyway, who is the fav in the GPS comp this year?

Hard to see Joeys not winning for mine.