• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Last year one of the big GPS schools fielded only Yr12 boys in one of their trials and made significant interchanges at half time just to enable as many of their final year cohort to say that they played 1st 15's. There was also the case last year of two of the GPS schools allowing their top rugby league players to miss some trials to play in some important league game(s). Whilst I agree most will take it seriously and there have been (and will be) great games there was anecdotal evidence of some schools treating some trials differently to GPS games.

Hard to see Joeys not winning for mine.

Agree! A lot of competition for places at SJC, some good players are going to miss out.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
O'Kane has good hands as seen with his linking abilities when playing league. His issue maybe his desire to take the ball too often. I feel he will focus on defense erly in a game as his tackle rate is high, conditioning excellent and his strength at the break down are assets. Later in games, he will be very effective with tiring oppositions, many of whom will be hurting from his tackles.

I will be hoping he takes on the playing style from one the best number 8's Joeys had in 2004 captain Pauliasi Taumoepeau. "Pauli" was known for his excellent line out play at third pod, running off the number 10 and taking the inside ball in support. He did have the advantage of KB (Kurtley Beale) as his fly-half, but he still had to run at the holes. He would follow the ball player and back up. Hence he scored a try in every competition game, something KB (Kurtley Beale) never did

In 2004-2007 the team worked on attacking the space, rather than attacking the man. Something Joeys finally discovered again in 2018, 2019. The era of running over others has gone since all schools (expect Shore I'm afraid) have developed similar size cattle. Now it comes down to rugby smarts, rather than rugby tanks. If the Joeys 10 can position a hard running O'Kane hitting a gap, then he will be hard to stop. Many players will make an error of trying to take him high but the Joeys boys have developed their core and leg strength and they are working on driving through.

Here is an example or running at the gap (2.03 in the video), using your leg strength to stay upright. Watch how the Joeys player attacks the space, get dragged down, but is able to stay on his feet and off load. Plus watch at 2.55 again for O'Kane using his leg and core strength. (This is something TSC brought more of to the game in their premiership run)

The change in the Healy Centre has been notable since Kevin O'Kane turned up. The 1st XV still have S&C input from past coaches as well. While the Joeys boys do not have modern gyms, they believe in hard work, smart work and plenty of it.

I hear that Pauliasi‘s son is in yr 7 this year and that he is a chip off the old block.

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
On this point, yes joeys have adopted this form in their play style.

i.e. More running rugby.

With the rest of the GPS following suit with some schools applying athletics training comprised with gym sessions, i feel as though Joeys have a "headstart" on these concepts being in front of other schools. Evident in their premiership haul.

Joker?

TDO.

TDO My former colleague and supervisor at my Business has informed my knowledgeable self that joeys will begin the so called athletics program mid February which gives them a head start of the comp, while more funding has gone into the Chinese herbal art known as a massage which the marist schools will be rubbed down and loose so they can proceed with higher levels of training very different to the massages i have been given in my time HAHAHAHAH no wonder they are achieving more success than any other school great to see Blum gum out

T

The Hammer

The change in the Healy Centre has been notable since Kevin O'Kane turned up. The 1st XV still have S&C input from past coaches as well. While the Joeys boys do not have modern gyms, they believe in hard work, smart work and plenty of it.

I think this quote particularly resonates with me, as both my nephews attended Riverview and reported that the gym down in the gartlan centre was "something out of the stone age" with zero weight lifting machines.

I think that this really speaks volumes of the hard work that both View and Joeys put in to remain contenders year after year. It shows that you don't need a hyperbaric chamber or the latest and greatest equipment, it ultimately comes down to how hard you work, no matter the equipment provided.

Thoughts?

Hammer.

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
Hello Bluegum

I feel these days you have to increase it to 5. Yes, Newington cannot be ruled out yet. I have been told they will have pace in their backs. With many of the backs emerging from their highly competitive 16As. I know they have lost their star Winger. But there is some real talent within New. Many of the top players of their outstanding 15As been have promoted into the Open Division. Yes , there maybe an adjustment period, as they transition into the Open Division. But if this transition occurs quickly, they could upset any one the more favoured sides such as Joeys and Scots. So a young side particularly in the backs. Reports from their Barker trial, support this belief, as they looked extremely dangerous and adventurous. However, the forwards were outplayed by Barker, so they are a work in progress. Time will tell.

Regards

B&W

Black and white very great article, the rumours ive been told about the upcoming talent out of stanmore is non more than outstanding the new community should rise to the occasion can they match it with the rest only time will tell

Blue gum national park (land and trees national treasurer of the west Pymble national foundation organisation)

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
As the great Muhammad Ali would say float like a butterfly sting like a bee and I can see this aggressive nature within the joeys 1st 15 The joker and sonny dill have got me on the bandwagon and boy zoo wee mumma am I excited to see the boys run on the Mary street oval my great friends of the green and gold forum other wise known as the analyst in my eyes could be working at fox sports the way they are turning their dear wise words into wonderful pieces of art the Marist boys will touch up a few schools

Discard all evidence tm blue gum national park

Greetings, alias: "BlueGumNationalPark" conversely, "BGNP".

"The Joeys Bandwagon" is just created by them being ahead of their game, undertaking new forms of running rugby rather than being the biggest on the field.

It is only a matter of time other GPS contenders "catch up", thats all it is.

The thought of Joeys is nice, but what is amazing is all of the GPS first XV being at a similar depth in terms of teams.

We do have View vs Joeys which is always a close contention which, personally for this reason, I love.

The hard grit and rivalry is just unparalleled with any other match and for this reason i'll just wait for each GPS contender to "catch up" and make sure Joeys doesn't stay ahead.

In short, not bashing the Joeys bandwagon just saying it would be amazing for each and every GPS school to be in as close contention with the level of grit that goes into each View Joeys game.

Only time will tell.

TDO.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
I think this quote particularly resonates with me, as both my nephews attended Riverview and reported that the gym down in the gartlan centre was "something out of the stone age" with zero weight lifting machines.

I think that this really speaks volumes of the hard work that both View and Joeys put in to remain contenders year after year. It shows that you don't need a hyperbaric chamber or the latest and greatest equipment, it ultimately comes down to how hard you work, no matter the equipment provided.

Thoughts?

Hammer.

H, TDO here.

Completely agree, just stick with the formula that has always been in the GPS, hard work.

Other than View or Joeys each GPS school is taking a different approach.

Scots - Money, advanced coaching, sports programs regarding collating talent (not a bad thing, gives less advantaged people an equitable go in life), they work hard, every 1st XV does yet the advanced lens provides an over complication of something that doesn't need it, IMO.

Shore - Unsure what lens they are taking, however they will reap rewards through their rowing and athletics programs.

Newington - Unsure. B&W?

Kings - Tackling cows out there i heard

Grammar - seems to be behind due to their limited numbers at the school, lacking depth, yet seeming admirable in catching up to the other GPS schools

SBHS - Unsure i don't think rugby is in their focus however, i have heard they have better gyms than view, lifting platforms and the like.

TAS - Moving into a co-ed school the 1st XV boys might be a little distracted, unsure what they've undertaken

Each school has their own so called "formula" in their take at the GPS premierships.

We can truly see that the hardwork programs that of Riverview and Joeys are quite extraordinary if you take each school at face value.

Thoughts?

TDO.

T

The Hammer

Hello Bluegum

I feel these days you have to increase it to 5. Yes, Newington cannot be ruled out yet. I have been told they will have pace in their backs. With many of the backs emerging from their highly competitive 16As. I know they have lost their star Winger. But there is some real talent within New. Many of the top players of their outstanding 15As been have promoted into the Open Division. Yes , there maybe an adjustment period, as they transition into the Open Division. But if this transition occurs quickly, they could upset any one the more favoured sides such as Joeys and Scots. So a young side particularly in the backs. Reports from their Barker trial, support this belief, as they looked extremely dangerous and adventurous. However, the forwards were outplayed by Barker, so they are a work in progress. Time will tell.

Regards

B&W

Shalom, B&W.

I have heard rumours that Angus Bell (from Newington, now playing for the Waratahs) has a brother that is just as good, if not better than the Aussie Schoolboy.

If you have any updates regarding team placement and/or talent level, please do let the forum know.

I remember watching him play prior to my nephew once (he was in 15A's I believe), looked as though he was playing somewhere in the back row? I could be mistaken however.

Hammer.

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
Greetings, alias: "BlueGumNationalPark" conversely, "BGNP".

"The Joeys Bandwagon" is just created by them being ahead of their game, undertaking new forms of running rugby rather than being the biggest on the field.

It is only a matter of time other GPS contenders "catch up", thats all it is.

The thought of Joeys is nice, but what is ecstatic is all of the GPS first XV being at a similar depth in terms of teams.

We do have View vs Joeys which is always a close contention which, personally for this reason, I love.

The hard grit and rivalry is just unparalleled with any other match and for this reason i'll just wait for each GPS contender to "catch up" and make sure Joeys doesn't stay ahead.

In short, not bashing the Joeys bandwagon just saying it would be amazing for each and every GPS school to be in as close contention with the level of grit that goes into each View Joeys game.

Only time will tell.

TDO.

TDO I WAS A YOUNG CHAP VERY INTERESTED ON THE LOGISTICS OF OUR BEAUTIFUL SPORT RUGBY UNION EVERY YEAR I WOULD GO TO WATCH ST IGGIES V ST JOEYS WITH MY FATHER (GOD REST HIS SOUL) THE PASSION IS NOTHING IVE SEEN BEFORE FROM CHILDREN OF ALL PEOPLE, IT ALWAYS LEAVES ME IN ORE. THATS COMING FROM A MAN WHO HAS PLAYED IN SUBBIES FOR MOST OF HIS LIFE VIEW JOEYS THEIR ESTABLISHMENTS SHOULD RAISE THEIR HEADS HIGH I HOLD NOTHING BUT GREAT RESPECT FOR THE SHOW THAT IS PERFORMED TO SUCH HIGH QUALITY. MUST BE THE MAGIC FROM THOSE CATHOLICS UP ABOVE GRACING THEIR HEAVEN LIKE POWER TO PRODUCE A GRADE LEVEL FOOTBALL

BUT I AGREE THE GPS NEEDS A SPICE UP A LONG WAITING SCHOOL TO APPEAR LIKE A THIEF IN THE NIGHT AND DO A LITTLE RUMBLE TO THE COMP

THE JOEYS SUPPORT IS VITAL, BUT THIS BAND WAGON I AGREE IM NOT BASHING BUT IT NEEDS TO PUT TO A HOLT THE GAME OF RUGBY IS OF SERIOUS NEED SHAKE UP(SHAKE AND BAKE) AND THE JOEYS SUPPORT REMINDS ME OF UNCLE NICK AND THE WAY HE IS RUNNING A MUCK WITHIN THE NRL. JOEYS SEEM TO BE A BURDEN ON THE COMP AND PEOPLE ARE CREATING THIS SENSE OF HYPE NOT GIVING THE OTHER SCHOOLS A CHANCE. YET AGAIN IM NOT TRYING TO CAUSE A RUCCAS WITHIN THE FORUM ONLY GIVING A DIRECTION OUR GAME NEEDS CHANGE THIS FORUM NEEDS CHANGE

BLUE GUM

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
Shalom, B&W.

I have heard rumours that Angus Bell (from Newington, now playing for the Waratahs) has a brother that is just as good, if not better than the Aussie Schoolboy.

If you have any updates regarding team placement and/or talent level, please do let the forum know.

I remember watching him play prior to my nephew once (he was in 15A's I believe), looked as though he was playing somewhere in the back row? I could be mistaken however.

Hammer.

HAMMER I BELIVE HIS NAME IS HUGH BELL SERIOUS TALENT COMING OUT OF THE PRESTIGIOUS GATES AT STANMORE CAN PLAY ANYWHERE AND IS BELIVED TO HAVE BALL WORK LIKE A STEAMING DEAN MUMM OF THE NSW WARATAHS WATCH THIS KID

BLUE GUM

T

The Hammer

H, TDO here.

Completely agree, just stick with the formula that has always been in the GPS, hard work.

Other than View or Joeys each GPS school is taking a different approach.

Scots - Money, advanced coaching, sports programs regarding collectivising talent (not a bad thing, gives less advantaged people an equitable go in life), they work hard, every 1st XV does yet the advanced lens provides an over complication of something that doesn't need it, IMO.

Shore - Unsure what lens they are taking, however they will reap rewards through their rowing and athletics programs.

Newington - Unsure. B&W?

Kings - Tackling cows out there i heard

Grammar - seems to be behind due to their limited numbers at the school, lacking depth, yet seeming admirable in catching up to the other GPS schools

SBHS - Unsure i don't think rugby is in their focus however, i have heard they have better gyms than view, lifting platforms and the like.

TAS - Moving into a co-ed school the 1st XV boys might be a little distracted, unsure what they've undertaken

Each school has their own so called "formula" in their take at the GPS premierships.

We can truly see that the hardwork programs that of Riverview and Joeys are quite extraordinary if you take each school at face value.

Thoughts?

TDO.

TDO, it's H

Although I do not have all the answers I could provide some insight into the program at SBHS.

Whilst at centennial park one or two years back, I struck a conversation with the newly appointed MIC (Master In Charge) of rugby at SBHS. We began discussing the state of GPS rugby and rugby within Australia in a whole.

Throughout this conversation, we eventually stumbled on to the state of rugby within the gates of the selective school.

He enlightened me that day, he raised a few great points:
  • It's due to cultural expectations within the make up of the college
He told me that since the majority of the school are at a selective school due to their unreal academic capability, their parents would rather them studying as opposed to training and playing rugby.
  • The lads want to play but often their parents will not let them
Again coming back to the fact that they are at a prestigious selective school, their parents do not want them focusing on rugby as opposed to study.
  • Since it is a state high school they are unable to make sport compulsory
And due to the nature of the state schooling system, it is in fact impossible to make sporting compulsory for students at the college.
I would love to see a competitive SBHS, but unfortunately I cannot see it happening, TDO.
Hammer.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Shalom, B&W.

Hammer.

Hello Hammer

Don't know him personally, but if he was in last years 15As, Quick Hands, is more likely to know him as his son is in this age group. Many of these 15As players, have been promoted to the Open Division. So he might well be knocking on the door for 1stXV selection.

Regards
B&W

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
TDO, it's H

Although I do not have all the answers I could provide some insight into the program at SBHS.

Whilst at centennial park one or two years back, I struck a conversation with the newly appointed MIC (Master In Charge) of rugby at SBHS. We began discussing the state of GPS rugby and rugby within Australia in a whole.

Throughout this conversation, we eventually stumbled on to the state of rugby within the gates of the selective school.

He told me that since the majority of the school are at a selective school due to their unreal academic capability, their parents would rather them studying as opposed to training and playing rugby.

Again coming back to the fact that they are at a prestigious selective school, their parents do not want them focusing on rugby as opposed to study.

And due to the nature of the state schooling system, it is in fact impossible to make sporting compulsory for students at the college.

I would love to see a competitive SBHS, but unfortunately I cannot see it happening, TDO.
Hammer.

Hello Hammer

One option is make SHS a sports High School, with an elite Rugby program like other GPS Schools. Another High school can take on the Academic selective intake. Making it more similar, to Brisbane State High.

Regards
B&W

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
Hello BlueGum

Don't know him personally, but if he was in last years 15As, Quick Hands, is more likely to know him as his son is in this age group. Many of these 15As players, have been promoted to the Open Division. So he might well be knocking on the door for 1stXV selection.

Regards
B&W

B&W im looking forward to the development of these young lads coming out of New. From previous experiences New have struggled to fill teams from the As to the Ds and they standard is somewhat average compared to the other schools. Has there been more kids coming to the school who have good rugby backgrounds or have just grown and became good players. Would u say they are a serious chance to challenge in this years?

Blue gum

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
TDO, it's H

Hammer.

Hammer Sydney boys high will continue to have a serious decline in terms of sport especially rugby. There is just not enough talent and passion to produce high sporting levels. Its a sad reality within schools these days academics although important sport is a way of escape of the troubles of the world and brings people together Schools have got this wrong let me know ur intake on how i think ?

T

The Hammer

Hello Hammer

One option is make SHS a sports High School, with an elite Rugby program like other GPS Schools. Another High school can take on the Academic selective intake. Making it more similar, to Brisbane State High.

Regards
B&W

B&W, its H

I could see this happening however I’m unsure if the sports high school would continue to participate within AAGPS, could become part of the state school competition. Would provide a great contender however, if they were to participate within the GPS comp.

Hammer.

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
B&W, its H

I could see this happening however I’m unsure if the sports high school would continue to participate within AAGPS, could become part of the state school competition. Would provide a great contender however, if they were to participate within the GPS comp.

Hammer.

Do you think the AAGPS will depart from Tas and High in the near future sporting wise they do not have the ability nor Talent to play in this comp anymore ?

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
TDO, it's H

Hammer.

H, couple of points here.

The fact that it is a selective school really inhibits their depth in opens footy compared to Joeys and the like.

Can been seen with Grammar.

Two points:
- No boarders; no numbers, less numbers if anything
- Selective; study focused, not sport focused and more importantly, less numbers, less depth

This snowballs into less effort being put in by the schools heads, changing their focus, equating to less funding.

Thoughts?

TDO.

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
H, couple of points here.

The fact that it is a selective school really inhibits their depth in opens footy compared to Joeys and the like.

Can been seen with Grammar.

Two points:
- No boarders; no numbers, less numbers if anything
- Selective; study focused, not sport focused and more importantly, less numbers, less depth

This snowballs into less effort being put in by the schools heads, changing their focus, equating to less funding.

Thoughts?

TDO.

TDO would you believe the stability of the Boys high sport is crumbiling beneath us? is the need for education a worrying sign for the future for all GPS schools. Let me know what you think