• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blackandwhite

blackandwhite

Who was the New lad who scored that try for the Twos after kicking through? I thought it was 13. Ratcliffe but it may have been 12. Loseli. He's a good footie player and has a lot of toe, and whoever he was, the other guy is good too.

Winger Vlahos will go to 12 next year? With the Twos midfield available New will be spoilt for choice in picking the 2011 centre pairing with Ones players Roods and Vlahos still around; and their back three will be handy also.

I haven't sen him play but I understand there is a front rower in the 15A's (his dad is a Tongan church reverend) who may force Ezrah Amituani to play No. 8 next year.

And then there are the two lightweight props. :D :D My word, I wouldn't let either of those lads anywhere near my fridge.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)

haven't sen him play but I understand there is a front rower in the 15A's (his dad is a Tongan church reverend) who may force Ezrah Amituani to play No. 8 next year. And then there are the two lightweight props. My word, I wouldn't let either of those lads anywhere near my fridge.
--------------------

props for 16A are both Tongan and there dad are both reverend. One is an Uniting Church in Australia and the other iis a Methodist minister in Tonga. They both selected to NSW under 16.

W

wingnut

what i dont understand is..how can a joeys 2nds team go out and flog a newington 2nds team and then a newington 1sts go out and flog a joeys 1sts team? doesnt make sense? please someone explain..?

College E

Bob McCowan (2)
Who will be back next year for Kings, Scots & Riverview?

There's only 2 back next year from SJC 1st's - 4 Michael Kovacic & 15 Angus Le Lievre?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
what i dont understand is..how can a joeys 2nds team go out and flog a newington 2nds team and then a newington 1sts go out and flog a joeys 1sts team? doesnt make sense? please someone explain..?

Well then I'm afraid you don't understand anything about GPS rugby. Joeys and Newington have different rugby cultures and the depth between the two is enormous. I think you'll find the majority of the Newington's soccer teams beat Joeys but the 1sts lost to Joeys. It's about depth.

This premiership isn't exactly out of the blue like you and Thismybrotha seems to believe. It's from a successful group of boys that have been playing together since the 13As bar one or two boys. They dominated in their junior years and now they're in Year 10 and 11.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Who will be back next year for Kings, Scots & Riverview?

There's only 2 back next year from SJC 1st's - 4 Michael Kovacic & 15 Angus Le Lievre?

I believe that 9. McTaggart is back also and only one from the Twos: 3. Kim - though some others may have played for the Twos since I got my info at the start of the season.

Don't know the details for Kings and Scots, but for View I have been told that the following will be back next year:

Ones
1. Smith
3. Kulen
4. Rorke
7. Dempsey
8. Wells
11. Whitely
12. McBryde

Twos
3. O'Brien
4. Tuxworth
5. Robertson
6. M. Lane
10. Vaux
13. Edwards

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No-one will force Ezrah to play number 8

He didn't look mobile enough to be a backrower, but you fellows would know better than I would.

Not to the point but I think 3. Allan Ala'atatoa will be in GPS Ones and NSW Schools next year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
After their recent one point wins against King's I expected a close match between Newington and Joeys. What a surprise! The game was won in the trenches of forwards' battles, the black and white pigs were simply too big and strong as well as showing outstanding skills. To be pushed off their own pill at scrumtime must've been debilitating. The constant pressure told on the smaller Joeys' forwards and the gaps around rucks and mauls were inevitable. The darting escapades of the New halfback were delightful to watch and the wonderful "ball-through-the-hands" of the home side's 10, 12 and 13 should be an object lesson for the Wallabies. God must've decided to have a spell at Stanmore on Saturday: even speculative up-and-unders somehow seemed to deliberately bounce into the arms of a Newington lad speeding through to the goal line. The Joeys lads never stopped trying, especially in attack, but it was a case of a Mini Minor trying to stop a Mack truck. I'm quietly confident we'll see a goodly number of these outstanding rugby players at the Pirates in the next few years.

It's very healthy for GPS rugby to see a premiership at one of the southside schools. Joeys, King's, Shore and (occasionally) Riverview have kept the title among themselves for far too long, I suppose mostly due to the numbers of boys playing rugby at those schools. When was the last premiership not won by the big four?

G

Goldenone

Agree with Lee about the two big boppers from Newington to make NSW Schools and make a very good push for Australia.
In regards to Newington next season, they should be very strong with an incredibly talented team with 9 young players from this season. It is going to be very hard to replace Roach, Luani, Apo and also half Bannon. Bannon has proven to be a real talent shining yesterday against St. Josephs

Greetings from sunny Qld gentlemen.Congrats to Newington on their achievement.
Now,me-thinks a bit early to start predicting who will be in State and National teams.Let the boys enjoy their success without saddling them with any undue pressure regarding selections in representative teams that won't be selected for another 11 months !!We have all seen what has happened in the past when this happens,especially the " this is our year " trumpeting from down south.The outcome has become somewhat inevitable.There are still some good 'uns here in Qld.

The annual cry as to who has the best schoolboy team in the country will again go unresolved as that match will never happen.The closest you might get is the early season trial matches and northern tours during school holidays.I remember a few years ago TSS went to Sydney and played a trial against Barker and beat them,the Barker lads said," wait till we come up there with our best team,we'll show you" .Unfortunately for them TSS beat them by 40+ !!! It is pretty hard to draw comparisons,I guess we will all have to live and wonder what might have been !!

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
It's very healthy for GPS rugby to see a premiership at one of the southside schools. Joeys, King's, Shore and (occasionally) Riverview have kept the title among themselves for far too long, I suppose mostly due to the numbers of boys playing rugby at those schools. When was the last premiership not won by the big four?

Scots won in 1993. Sydney High came 2nd that year and were unlucky not to win the premiership.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree with Lee about the two big boppers from Newington to make NSW Schools and make a very good push for Australia.

What I actually wrote was:

Not to the point but I think 3. Allan Ala'atatoa will be in GPS Ones and NSW Schools next year.

It's a bit pedantic but I've had sad experience that I said this and that the year before whereas it was just the accuser's impression of what I said. In such situations the protagonists don't provide quotes; so folks think I actually said it.

No doubt other posters with a few posts logged have had the same experience.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Ala'alatoa boys have been prepared at Australia's premier prop factory, Wests Junior Rugby. Michael was in Newington Firsts in Year 10 while Allan's in Year 11 this year. There are some old lags who reckon Allan will end up the better of the two, I must say he was never as timid as Michael at the same age and he certainly produced some hard running on Saturday. Allan seems to have the perfect body shape for LHP while Michael's a bit taller and longer and is playing mostly THP for the Pirates colts.

Their cousin, Vili Ala'alatoa, also turned out for WJR, he's even bigger than Michael. Last I heard he was playing Firsts at St Andrew's Cathedral School.

R

rocket321

ive noticed that the newington seconds were struck down by injury in the last 2 weeks, something around 4-5 forwards out with ankle and knee injuries.

(this was a response to a question about newington 2nds vs joeys 2nds)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The Ala'alatoa boys have been prepared at Australia's premier prop factory, Wests Junior Rugby. Michael was in Newington Firsts in Year 10 while Allan's in Year 11 this year. There are some old lags who reckon Allan will end up the better of the two, I must say he was never as timid as Michael at the same age and he certainly produced some hard running on Saturday. Allan seems to have the perfect body shape for LHP while Michael's a bit taller and longer and is playing mostly THP for the Pirates colts.

Their cousin, Vili Ala'alatoa, also turned out for WJR, he's even bigger than Michael. Last I heard he was playing Firsts at St Andrew's Cathedral School.

Eastwood especially probably would dispute that. Remember these kids are nothing yet compared to all the International/Super 14 props that Eastwood have produced.

T

Thismybrotha

Well then I'm afraid you don't understand anything about GPS rugby. Joeys and Newington have different rugby cultures and the depth between the two is enormous. I think you'll find the majority of the Newington's soccer teams beat Joeys but the 1sts lost to Joeys. It's about depth.

This premiership isn't exactly out of the blue like you and Thismybrotha seems to believe. It's from a successful group of boys that have been playing together since the 13As bar one or two boys. They dominated in their junior years and now they're in Year 10 and 11.

You know nothing.

The 1992 age group at Kings were undefeated in the 15As and 16As and lost one game in the 13As and 14As.

If you want to speak of the 1993 age group, yes, New were undefeated as the 14As, but Kings were undefeated the next year in 15As, and the next year it was View.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You know nothing.

The 1992 age group at Kings were undefeated in the 15As and 16As and lost one game in the 13As and 14As.

If you want to speak of the 1993 age group, yes, New were undefeated as the 14As, but Kings were undefeated the next year in 15As, and the next year it was View.

1993/1994 age group. They started losing in the 15s/16s because the players went to the Opens. We're talking about the Year 10/11 boys here, not the Year 12

Status
Not open for further replies.