• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

footy head

grammar i think will be strong this age group is supposed to be quite good across the board in sports
their 16s tho were not too strong joeys put 50 points to 5 on them

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
grammar i think will be strong this age group is supposed to be quite good across the board in sports
their 16s tho were not too strong joeys put 50 points to 5 on them

Grammar have a couple more decades to go in its rebuilding phase.

B

baldingwingforward

Has anyone seen the GPS draw for 2011?

Same as last year except all of the rounds move forward one - i.e. the last round now becomes the first round.

Rnd 1 Scots vs Kings, New vs View, Shore vs Joeys, Grammar vs High. Rnd 2 is last years round 1.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agree with durkadurka about Joeys being a big chance this year. Kings only lost 2 games in 2011 both at home and both by a point. One of these losses was to eventual premiers Newington and the other....to Joeys who showed enormous spirit to win away against their traditional rivals and against a team that contained around 8 Australian schoolboys reps.

Understand a number of Joeys 2010 XV will be playing again this year. Their 2010 2nds finished the GPS comp undefeated with a 204 -48 differential and their 16A's team from 2010 also went well.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting question!! The 22-35 defeat last year whilst galling for Joeys supporters did have a positive effect in spurring the 1st XV on to better things as they finished the GPS season in fine form in 3rd place after an atrocious year in 2009 where they finished 2nd last.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Understand that at least one GPS team has already done some squad training in the Jan holidays! Off to a very early start!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
will we be seeing another game of Joey's and Auggies this year?

Probably not. Augies (together with Scots) has been nominated to represent Oz in the Sanix invitational tournament and it's on at about the same time of the year as when Joeys and Augies played in 2010. You never know though.

As a Joeys tragic I enjoyed the play of Augies even though they walloped our team, and not for the first time. The Hunters Hill crowd also gave the visitors a big hand and the people I was sitting near to were talking them up. The Joeys faithful always give visiting teams their due, win or lose, but I can't recall our folks being so enthusiastic after the game about a team that beat Joeys.

They are a rising force in Sydney Schools rugby and I hope it prevails when "Pappa" eventually moves on.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any scuttlebut about new players to any teams? (Appreciate that they tend to transfer schools moreso at U16 level in GPS rather than in final two years of school?).

B

baldingwingforward

From memory there were only 2 or 3 boys in the NSW U16 side who weren't already at a GPS or CAS school. Interesting that one of those boys has suddenly "decided" to go to Kings...

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Heard that a couple of very good front rowers (ie NSW U15s 2010) and massive units have found themsleves at Trinity this year?

A

Ageing Parent

I believe the lad in question has followed an older sibling to Hunters Hill, as often happens with boys from the bush who seek to finish off their high school studies at Sydney schools in year 10 or 11. Quite a number of the NSW Under 15's seemed to have ended up with places at several private schools in town, following their wins against QLD & ACT last year.
Unfortunately, there seems to have been very little reported on NSW or NSWJRU sites about their matches, and only a 2-line reference on the Qld juniors site.
From all reports, a pretty good bunch of kids though, who played some entertaining rugby at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.