• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
AP you seem to have your finger on the pulse with last years U15 players... how do you see the GPS & CAS U16s panning out this year?

A

Ageing Parent

CTPE...a simple reply is not as easy as it would appear at first glance. 16's tends to take in lads in both years 10 & 11, and some of the year 11 lads may well seek to play in the Opens with their mates ( provided of course that they are good enough - and the various school hierarchies concur !)
I am somewhat more cognisant of the GPS teams in this age group, and from last year's teams / results offer the following observations:
Newington had a very strong team, and went through undefeated until the last match against Riverview, where they got well & truly dusted in what I believe to have been a very physical game. 'View probably should have won more than they did, and may be affected more than others with their (current) year 11 contingent potentially opting for Opens in 2011;the lads from Hunters Hill could never be left out, and had a good group last year, but again with quite a number of year 11's this year, they may be tasked with bolstering the Opens too; Kings were always competitive, and should benefit with some NSW U15's heading out to Parramatta ( I believe), unfortunately I can't offer too many insights into Grammar & Shore, and Scots is always hampered in the 15's with the split year of boys heading to Nowra for 2 terms, which makes any assessment of their chances problematic. It could actually prove to be a really competitive and evenly matched age group in the 16's for the most part in 2011.
As far as the CAS & ISA teams go, if the previous post about a number of the NSW 15's forwards ending up at Trinity is correct, then they will definitely have an awesome forward pack. I would shudder at the thought of the respective families food bills seeing the size of some of them. I understand St Pats has a very good team in this age group as well, and you could never discount the lads from up Wahroonga way. Knox had a good team last year I'm told, and should be tough to beat again in 2011. I don't know much about the ISA teams in this age group, however, from a club perspective, I understand that St Augustines apparently has an exceptionally good team in this age group - which would correspond with the success that these players have enjoyed at Club level.
Happy for further input.....my eyesight isn't what it used to be !

But all in all, seems to be a pretty good age group across the board.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Where did Hunters Hill finish in 15s last year ? Seriously... The Norths Pirates guys in the Sunday comp, and the Canterbury guys in the Saturday comp destroyed all comers in that age group... Both unbeaten last year... My understanding is that nobody came scouting for these kids... Both those teams would smash any schoolboy side in my opinion. I've had the pleasure of watching them both and they are absolutely fantastic. The Norths forward pack is the most well drilled I have ever seen in this age group. I also had the pleasure of watching the Canterbury side play in the Canberra Sevens last year. What a great bunch of kids. My awe goes out to the coaching and management teams of both those sides. I know a few of the Norths kids because quite a few are ex Manly. If you are looking for the future of Aussie rugby, keep an eye on both those teams

A

Ageing Parent

Malcsy - Couldn't agree more with you. I believe they both would account for most if not all of the schools based teams. And please don't forget Merrylands & Hills - both teams performed very strongly last year in the 15's comps. Hopefully, many of them will stay with Rugby, and it wouldn't surprise at all to see some of them progress successfully to seniors rugby in years to come.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Malcsy -out of interest do you know which schools the Norths Pirates and Canterbury sides are predominantly at?

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
CTPE, I don't know for sure. The Norths kids I know from Manly are mixture of (I think) St Augustine's, St Paul's, Cromer High, Pittwater House, Balgowlah Boys.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
CTPE, I don't know for sure. The Norths kids I know from Manly are mixture of (I think) St Augustine's, St Paul's, Cromer High, Pittwater House, Balgowlah Boys.

I know the St Augustines 15's last year (16's this year) are a very good team

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ageing Parent, yes good to see the game going strong out west, particularly in that age group.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
By the way, AP, I ask again, where did Hunters finish last year in 15s ? I know they had a pretty good bunch over there. Also, and I'm guessing you are a HH guy, I've heard that Hunters Hill juniors have moved from Gordon to Northern Suburbs... Surely that will strengthen the Norths side ( U15s last year ) that made the State final last year ? Also, how will that work with last year's U14s State Champs who i believe are all from Mosman ? Potential for conflict ? i guess these things are sent to try us in the wacky world of junior rugby.

A

Ageing Parent

Malcsy, yes you are correct - Hunters Hill have indeed switched district affiliation to Norths. Seems to make sense if SJRU are seeking a more even distribution of clubs in the scheme of things...Gordon now have 8 Village Clubs to select from, Norths 4, Warringah 5, and Manly 4. If Norths selection policy is as stated, it might make for some interesting selections, particularly in this years 15 & 16's.
I believe Hunters Hill 15's finished in 4th spot last year, behind Norths, Merrylands & Hills. I understand last years Norths 14's were predominantly from Mosman, and in turn predominantly from Shore.
It will indeed make for interesting times ahead !

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow, that is a big loss for Gordon. Our Manly/Harbord boys in 15s this year will be pleased to hear that their nemesis just got stronger !

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
AP - for what it's worth my observations of last years GPS 15As was that it was a relatively even comp with Newington standing out particularly in the trials and early part of the comp. However other teams certainly got well within reach of them towards the end of the season with View as you've said getting over the top them in the last round. View had a very good all round team as did Joeys and both teams were also very consistent. Both had excellent hard working forwards who were very aggressive and dominant at the breakdown and Joeys scrum was also very good. View 6 and 8 and Joeys 3 and 7 stood out.
Newington easily had the best backs - a very gifted No 10 and two hard running centres and they went wide at every opportunity. Their pack although not as aggressive as Views and Joeys worked well together delivering sufficient ball for their backs to cut up most opposition backlines. Kings had the most dominant scrum with their No 1 having an excellent technique for a young prop. Very good 7 as well - did a heap of work around the field. Shore competed well but may need more bulk particularly in their halves. Their 9 is a very gutsy player for his size. Scots as you've pointed out were hampered by their "Glengarry" year but were very strong the previous year and have some great rep players in their team. No doubt they'll be ready to show their full capabilities this year.
It'll be interesting to see whether this age group remains as evenly matched in 2011 with some teams having bolstered their stocks and as you've pointed out, some year 11 boys having to decide whether to play U16s or in the Open's teams if allowed. I think many of them won't want to miss the opportunity of two years in the Opens to give themselves the best chance of getting into their desired teams before finishing their school boy rugby careers.

F

Finland Fella

I've just seen the 2011 draw and it appears that Sydney High are back.
Can anyone confirm this

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure but I think they may be linking up with TAS in some way as regards teams?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Don't do that Lily, its too early in the season to start that. Unless you can provide some evidence I am going to doctor your post slightly.

Shore have acquired quite a handy prop from the country, as his parents want him to do the HSC in the city. Not sure of his name or any other details, but I do know he is on no scholarship, as I would assume is the case for your boy as well Lily.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I've edited my post barbarian, but as someone who has taught him and coached him I am in the position to say he is not a full paying student. Big deal as this happens everywhere. I just find it interesting that schools approach kids with the promise of exposure. Surely if they are good enough then they shouldn't have to relocate for anything except possibly academic reasons.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well that is a debate for another day and another thread.

Thanks for the edit although by the sounds of it you know what you are talking about, which tends to be a rare event here! You can stick to your guns if you wish...

N

NorthernSon

Hmmmmm.
Looking into the crystal ball and with a reasonable knowledge of the quality of stock available.
Final Placings 2011
1. Newington
2. St Ignatius
3. Joeys
4. Kings
5. Scots
6. Shore
7. Grammar
DNP High

Sustainable Stars in 2011 - Baldwin and Roye (Newington), Merriman (Shore), Kay (Joeys)

Big Improver : Scots College

Status
Not open for further replies.