• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lily, you seem to have your finger on the pulse... What's the story with the likes of VB, JH, RH etc ? Have they moved on from State school also ? If they haven't been scouted also, I would be amazed...

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Anywhere in the backs. Has been moved around lots in his rep years and school teams. Ideally 11-14. Not enormous like Adrian at Joeys acouple of years ago. Slick as opposed to powerful.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hmmmmm.
Looking into the crystal ball and with a reasonable knowledge of the quality of stock available.
Final Placings 2011
1. Newington
2. St Ignatius
3. Joeys
4. Kings
5. Scots
6. Shore
7. Grammar
DNP High

Sustainable Stars in 2011 - Baldwin and Roye (Newington), Merriman (Shore), Kay (Joeys)

Big Improver : Scots College

Agree with your top 3 but think that Joeys are a real chance of trumping New for the number I spot.

Don't know that Scots will be the big improver - you've got them down in the same postion they finished last year - 5th with a 2/1/3 season. Their seconds also finished fifth with a 2/4 season so unless they've had a big influx of players they're likely to remain where they are.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
NS

Agree about Wells. He is ordinary. Yes, ordinary. Just waiting for the bleeding hearts to complain, "you can't say that; they're just boys." Can't agree about Roods or about Merriman. Wasn't he dropped to the seconds last year? Anyone would look good at the side of the New scrum last year.

Grammar looking good for 7th. Joeys the big improver.

Wells played a few games at Gordon colts last year (his brother played there) and I played in a couple of games with him and it was scary, some of the things he did. Amazingly athletic and fuck me he hits hard. Only saw him play against Grammar last year (my school) and didn't stand out but from what I saw when I played with him he is very talented. Perhaps he is overrated given some of his other performances during the GPS season, I have no idea. But just saying having played with him, he is pretty bloody impressive.

And on Grammar, a proper rebuild won't ever occur to the point we will be challenging for premierships the way the school is going. At least not with the current Headmaster who isn't very concerned with sports in general. A rebuild has been going on steadily over the last 6-8 years in that the rugby system at the school is much, much better than it was in the early 2000's. Better coaches, better equipment, better strategies to improve, more genuine rugby people involved rather than just teachers masquerading as coaches. Pretty much all headed by John Warr being in charge. Brilliant rugby guy is Warry. Unfortunately for us we've got quite a few poor rugby years coming into the school and that is not helped by (or in fact it might be because) the Prep schools having very poor rugby programs now. Can barely get their own 12 A's together.

Our success each year really is based on luck of the draw relative to how talented each year is. One year could have some outstanding talents and players but the next could be absolute rubbish. The school is an academic school so if we get lucky and have a very all rounded year one year we might have a year that is very shallow on all round sports talent the next year. Kinda luck of the draw with us.

We can produce good teams and special talents every now and then though. Last year was an exceptional side, as were 2006's and 2008's, which was crippled by injuries. The pack this year will be very young as most of last year's is gone. But last year's 16A's and 2's had some good players in it. Ed Slattery, Pete Barrett, Max Jones, Jimmy Ryan and Clem Bromwich are very good players. If they can get a decent cast around them, some hope for a win or 2 could be had. Need some good forwards to put in front of them.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure but I think they may be linking up with TAS in some way as regards teams?

Have confirmation that High are in fact teaming up with TAS this year. Could involve some travel to Armidale for away games?

F

Finland Fella

Ok here's a bunch of Newington questions to start the morning off.

Is Pat McKenzie still at New in 2011 ?
I know they've lost Apo, Roach, Luani, and Bannon... anyone else gone ?
Anyone at New give Tepai Moeroa or Oscar Pople a chance at making firsts this year ?
Joey Lussick likely to be half or is there someone I don't know about ?

Ya Ya Ego Ya ... and all that stuff ... 2011 bring it on.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Head of the River is only three weeks away and all Summer sports will then conclude. Who's in serious training at the moment?

I

International Badboy

Head of the River is only three weeks away and all Summer sports will then conclude. Who's in serious training at the moment?

At huntershill yesterday brother boyd adressed the boys at assembly saying it is important to finish off the summer season, and no special training for footy should be undertaken, he along with new sports master Newman both agree with this stance..however i have in good authority a lot of the boys are doing weights and fitness for cricket..

boonboon

Frank Row (1)
Hi Guys - Just read in the paper today that TAS my old school will be playing in the GPS comp in partnership with High - just wondering if anyone knows how it will work ?

Cyril Towers (30)
At huntershill yesterday brother boyd adressed the boys at assembly saying it is important to finish off the summer season, and no special training for footy should be undertaken, he along with new sports master Newman both agree with this stance..however i have in good authority a lot of the boys are doing weights and fitness for cricket..

Is the new sports master Miles Newman?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

Choice of Summer sports is generally from rowing, cricket, basketball, tennis and water polo. Interestingly though is that a couple of schools have what is cutely termed "Summer Athletics" which equates to plenty of intensive cardio and weight sessions aka off season training for rugby for those so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.