• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Absolute joke if thats true about the Lough boys. James Lough, Toby Rudolf and Jackson Dowling all coming in the senior years on scholarships as known rugby players. If they win the comp in 2014 View and Joeys have very right to be fired up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Luke Lough is in the 2012 U14s!
Are you suggesting that the family is moving because otherwise they will stay at Gordon - PS EAST HAVE NO REP TEAMS PAST 13'S!!!!!!!!!
Part of the frigging problem in the East.
I swear you guys dont know how bereft of rugby we are in the east.

In the Easts Catchment area are Scots, Waverley, Cranbrook, High, Grammar, and whatever Dover Heights High is now called. Apart from the last mentioned, they all have active rugby programmes of sorts.

Most of the GPS and CAS Under 16 stars played Rep rugby at NSWJRU State Champs for Under 15 (2011) and U16's (2012). This includes a number of boys from Scots, Waverley and Cranbrook. Some of these are at those schools on scholarship and some are full fare.

Some pundits often claim that their School will not let boys play for SJRU. This is clearly a convenient excuse, because Gordon, Norths and the Hobbits seem to be able to manage to negotiate the "release" of boys from the above schools for Club footy and State Champs.

I am therefore at a loss as to why Easts can not similarly get their ex-juniors released for club and rep footy once they hit high school.

It would appear that the bereftness of rugby in the East may be of their own making, or have I got it wrong?

Yet another reason perhaps for a review of teenage rugby opportunities, competitions and pathways in Sydney.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It would appear that the bereftness of rugby in the East may be of their own making, or have I got it wrong?

well speaking only of one of my sons: in his age group the state carnival, being held on the June long weekend, clashed with going to the Palm Beach beach House, the Thredbo lodge or Queenstown for most of his mates...so he plays elsewhere.
Who are the Hobbits?

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
In the Easts Catchment area are Scots, Waverley, Cranbrook, High, Grammar, and whatever Dover Heights High is now called. Apart from the last mentioned, they all have active rugby programmes of sorts.

Most of the GPS and CAS Under 16 stars played Rep rugby at NSWJRU State Champs for Under 15 (2011) and U16's (2012). This includes a number of boys from Scots, Waverley and Cranbrook. Some of these are at those schools on scholarship and some are full fare.

Some pundits often claim that their School will not let boys play for SJRU. This is clearly a convenient excuse, because Gordon, Norths and the Hobbits seem to be able to manage to negotiate the "release" of boys from the above schools for Club footy and State Champs.

I am therefore at a loss as to why Easts can not similarly get their ex-juniors released for club and rep footy once they hit high school.

Yet another reason perhaps for a review of teenage rugby opportunities, competitions and pathways in Sydney.

I asked that question once, and was told that Easts have discontinued rep rugby because they are a one-club catchment, whereas other rep teams are selected from perhaps 3-5 clubs in their area.

Shame for the boys, and I know Easts have lost a few school-age players who choose to play for other clubs where they can have a go at rep honours.

I assume they get around the schools 'bans' on club rugby after U15's because it benefits the schools reputation to have representative players on their books. They can play club up to U15's then after that can be selected for rep without actually playing club, or at least that's what I'm lead to understand.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
well speaking only of one of my sons: in his age group the state carnival, being held on the June long weekend, clashed with going to the Palm Beach beach House, the Thredbo lodge or Queenstown for most of his mates.so he plays elsewhere.
Who are the Hobbits?

I will admit that back in the day I played for Easts until U/12s, and this really helped me develop on top of my school commitments (school games were Thursday afternoons). When I entered Grammar in Year 7, this came to an end, as school commitments were given priority (by the school). I'm not going to lie through my teeth and say I was the most gifted young player, but there certainly were other kids in that team who were and were afforded that opportunity by Waverley. This, I agree, is perhaps an issue the schools (I know most other Eastern Suburbs schools do this) and Easts themselves could end up solving. Mutually beneficial; schools like Grammar can continue to improve, Easts get their numbers back, and Scots stop having to bring in half their 1sts on scholarships to compete.

What's the system among the other schools? I'm aware most of their players were representative players generally up until opens.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I will admit that back in the day I played for Easts until U/12s, and this really helped me develop on top of my school commitments (school games were Thursday afternoons). When I entered Grammar in Year 7, this came to an end, as school commitments were given priority (by the school). I'm not going to lie through my teeth and say I was the most gifted young player, but there certainly were other kids in that team who were and were afforded that opportunity by Waverley. This, I agree, is perhaps an issue the schools (I know most other Eastern Suburbs schools do this) and Easts themselves could end up solving. Mutually beneficial; schools like Grammar can continue to improve, Easts get their numbers back, and Scots stop having to bring in half their 1sts on scholarships to compete.

What's the system among the other schools? I'm aware most of their players were representative players generally up until opens.
have a look at my last post in GPS 2012 thread if you want to see what one schools attitude to club rugby is!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip.... Who are the Hobbits?

Southern Districts Rugby Club.

As part of a deal when the Melbourne Rebels were established, cash strapped Southern Districts Rebels (as they were then) sold the legal rights to use "Rebels" in a rugby context to the Melbourne Super Rugby Franchise for a considerable sum.

Bereft of a nickname, but rolling in $, the board of Southern Districts decided to adopt the nickname "The Hobbits" to reflect their deep connections with The Shire.

S

Sydneybra

Scots 1st XV, 2013 (with feedback)​
1. Tom Cleaver (1sts)
2. Marley Crossley, Olly Kamp (if changes position)​
3. Aiden Brown (16As)
4. Toby Rudolph (16As)
5. James Lough (import), Matt Boustred (2nds)
6. Hamish Murray (1sts), Will Ridley (2nds)
7. Olly Kamp (1sts), Hamish Dunbar (1sts), Nick Kellaway (2nds)
8. Angus Crichton (1sts)
9. Mitch Short (2nds)
10. Ben Starkey (1sts)
11. Sam Tabuatamata (3rds)
12. Luke Lough (import), Max Champion (2nds)​
13. Simon Johnston (16As)
14. Guy Porter​
15. Andrew Kellaway (1sts)

I hear James Lough (NSW Schools U16s) and his brother Luke (NSW U15s) are coming from St Augustines next year.

You are really, should we way, single minded if you think Luke Lough will play opens next year... He will bee 15!! Only reason that he is dominant in the ISA comp is because he developed much before everyone else and plays against not so top-notch opponents as GPS or CAS. Also 13 year old Tyrone Taukamo destroyed him in a club game in every aspect. Also he is not in the 15s NSW this year, he is 14 and trialled for Gordon 15s and didnt make it

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You are really, should we way, single minded if you think Luke Lough will play opens next year. He will bee 15!! Only reason that he is dominant in the ISA comp is because he developed much before everyone else and plays against not so top-notch opponents as GPS or CAS. Also 13 year old Tyrone Taukamo destroyed him in a club game in every aspect.
Another early developer - this is getting pretty ridiculous when we're discussing the prospects of 13 and 14 year olds.
What happened to their child hoods?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
have a look at my last post in GPS 2012 thread if you want to see what one schools attitude to club rugby is!

Slightly confused with your reference to one school and last post

This almost Last Post from you in GPS 2012
Dont they water Northbridge anymore?
Are you commenting that Shore are encouraging their boys to play for club because they can not afford to provide them with a decent grassed oval for school footy.

or this Last Post from you in GPS 2012
SCOOP: Harry Jones in the Kings 4ths for this week
Are you commenting that Kings somehow have sufficient depth at their school that they can afford to let a former Aust Schoolboy play in 4ths so he will be well rested for his SJRU Club Grand Final.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are you commenting that Kings somehow have sufficient depth at their school that they can afford to let a former Aust Schoolboy play in 4ths so he will be well rested for his SJRU Club Grand Final.

Huge, hope you dont mind me calling you that, the latter - it gets very confusing when I have a scoop

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Huge, hope you dont mind me calling you that, the latter - it gets very confusing when I have a scoop

And here's me being a smartypants thinking you were actually referring to the last post prior to the two I quoted, with reference to your alma mater's attitude.

PS when you have a scoop, please follow the time hounoured tradition of drawing it out, referring to faceless nameless snouts by obscure nicknames, such as Radio and the Wizard. You will get invited to more pie eating contests that way. The Chief Rugby Correspondent from Fairfax, (also known as BPT) is a master at subterfuge of this nature.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
And here's me being a smartypants thinking you were actually referring to the last post prior to the two I quoted, with reference to your alma mater's attitude.

PS when you have a scoop, please follow the time hounoured tradition of drawing it out, referring to faceless nameless snouts by obscure nicknames, such as Radio and the Wizard. You will get invited to more pie eating contests that way. The Chief Rugby Correspondent from Fairfax, (also known as BPT) is a master at this subterfuge of this nature.

Hey HJ ( I don't feel I know you well enough to jump straight to "Huge"! :D) - what happened to your natty avatar? I enjoyed seeing his smiling face when you posted! Cheers, Wreckless

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To show that I can receive as good as I get when I refer to the Soap Dodgers, Spud Bashers etc as such, I have decided to go with the Shackle Draggers avatar to demonstrate my solidarity with the Alternate Rugby Commentary teams view of the Men in Gold.

You must recall that I displayed the NZ Choker avatar for quite some time. Guess it is time for some penance.

Mr 4X may be back some time soon as the avatar. He kinda grew on me, but for now it is GO THE SHACKLE DRAGGERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.