• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well athos season is now over and footy season has officially started. Congratulations to Kings, Riverview and Newington for their wins, and to Tepai Morea for breaking the shot put record by about 5 metres yet again. I know Joeys have internals straight away tomorrow to get athos boys back, and then play Oakhill away on saturday. Any trials for the other schools ?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well athos season is now over and footy season has officially started. Congratulations to Kings, Riverview and Newington for their wins, and to Tepai Morea for breaking the shot put record by about 5 metres yet again. I know Joeys have internals straight away tomorrow to get athos boys back, and then play Oakhill away on saturday. Any trials for the other schools ?

Congrats also to King's Open athletes who broke GPS records - Josh Clarke in the 100m and 200m sprint double, Harry Andrews in the 110m Hurdles and Jack Stapleton in the 1500m.

King's are off to Bathurst next weekend to play trials against Stannies and are away again the following weekend in trials against Joeys at Hunters Hill.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK let's talk about the Sydney GPS 2013 draw and the repercussions that may arise from it - a couple of points first:

i. There are only two rounds in this current Term 2

ii. GPS v CAS + CHS at this Term’s end followed by Oz schools championships in the Term 2 hols = plenty of potential injuries and exhaustion for those chosen to play reps for GPS and NSW Schools

iii. Eight rounds of very physical and demanding rugby on the boys return to school in Term 3 will tax the depth of a number of teams.

1. Newington - the defending champions play View away in the first round and then King's at home before the rep games commence. Both games hold plenty of interest with the very young View team having played plenty of trials and the yet as unseen Kings side playing their first trial next weekend. New are likely to have quite a number of their backs and a couple of their forwards involved in the rep games during the Term 2 break and may have a couple of jaded players by the time the comp recommences in Term 3. They do however commence the Term with the benefit of home ground advantage in their first two games back against Joeys and Scots. They then play Shore away and View at home in round 4 – a good initial draw with four of their first six games at home. Their next three games are the big challenge to them replicating their 2012 premiership as they face Kings, Joeys and Scots all away before playing Shore at home in their final game. A pretty good draw for the defending premiers which will certainly assist them in the defence of their title.

2. Joeys – they kick off with Shore at home which one would expect would be a winning start to the season before playing arch rivals View away in Round 2. They’ll also have a number of players in the rep teams but perhaps not as many as the other heavyweights and may well return more refreshed than some sides. Their major plus in 2013 is their great depth with their 2’s, 3’s and 4’s winning premierships in 2012 and their 1’s finishing 3rd. They kick off Term 3 playing Newington away before consecutive games at home hosting Kings and Scots and then travel away to play Shore. Their remaining four rounds see them play View and Newington at home before finishing with away games against Kings and Scots. It’s a nice draw for the Cerise and Blue and their great depth will serve them well in what will be an arduous 10 rounds in the 2013 comp.

3. Riverview – they start the season with the luxury of two home games but they’ll be major contests with both Joeys and Newington visiting Lane Cove. They are a very young side but have a heap of talent and the results in these two games may well determine their level of achievement in 2013. A good start to the season would see them as favourites against Scots when they play them away when school resumes in Term 3 before they host Shore at home which many would also see as an expected win. But consecutive losses at home in those first two rounds against traditional rivals Joeys and competition favourites Newington would see them travelling to Bellevue Hill to play Scots as underdogs. Another loss there would see a pretty demoralised side facing a Shore team that is always competes until the final whistle. Their next three games are all away - Kings at North Parramatta, Newington at Stanmore and Joeys at Hunters Hill – a very formidable task for any side. Their final three games are against Scots at home, Shore away and Kings at home in the final round. All in all a pretty tough draw for this young side.

4. Scots – two of their first three games are at home where they host Kings in the season kick off followed by View in round three – in between they play Shore away. If they are going to make a mark this season they really need to win all three games as rounds 4, 5 & 6 see them replicate View’s horror game sequence of facing Joeys, Newington and Kings all away. Going into this trio of games with three wins from their first three encounters would see them with their tails up – anything less would may consign them to non contenders in 2013. They return home in round 7 to host Shore and then play Riverview away in round 8. Their final two games are both at home but against Joeys and Newington – by then they’ll either be playing for the title or providing significant nuisance value for those that are.

5. Shore – playing Joeys in round 1 is a massive challenge – more so when you have to travel to Hunters Hill – but knocking them off there can be the organic peptide that enhances your performance over the course of the season. Many underestimated Shore in 2012 and they had a very good season knocking off Kings and Riverview amongst their wins and only went down 24-27 to the undefeated Newington side. I think that their 2013 team is stronger and they’ll make every game a real contest. It’s a pretty challenging 2013 draw for them though as they play Scots at home in round 2, and then Kings and Riverview away in the third and fourth rounds. For a side that always competes so well at the breakdown these three games are all winnable but if they’re 1 from 4 at this point it doesn’t get any easier as in the next two rounds they host heavyweights Joeys and Newington at Northbridge. They then cross the bridge to play Scots in round 7 before having consecutive home games against Kings and View and travel to Stanmore for their season ending game against Newington. Not the greatest of draws for the Shore boys.

6. Kings – a challenging start to their 2013 campaign with them playing away to both Scots and then Newington – winning at least one of these sees them then host Shore on The White at the start of Term 3. A win in this game and a potential two from three start to the season or better before they travel to Joeys for what will be their second game there in 2013, as they play them in a trial before the competition kicks off. Their standing after this round 4 game will define how likely they are to be contenders this year – a 3 from 4 start or even 2 from 4 with a couple of close losses would instill a lot of confidence in their subsequent games against Riverview, Scots and Newington all with the benefit of home ground advantage. Going into round 8 they’ll be either be well in contention for a 29th title or just making up the numbers. They’re away to Shore in this round, play Joeys at Kings in the penultimate round before travelling down the Parramatta River to face View at Lane Cove in round 10. It’s not a bad draw for the sky blue and white – but they too have a number of very talented individuals who will have the added commitment of representative rugby between rounds 2 and 3 – so injury, fatigue and depth are all elements that will feature prominently in their level of success this year.

Summary- Newington, Joeys and Kings best favoured by the draw and young Riverview and Shore least favoured by it.

Starting Lineup

Stan Wickham (3)
I

I would imagine November would be the off season for league given the competition ends in October. Surely therefore the boys could tour? I don't imagine many league contracted boys would in the running outside Taane and Tepai anyway. Joey Lussick could be one other but not sure if there woud be anymore.
There are quite a few more boys who played for NSW In 1sts and 2nds who are Contracted in League. Not just these 3.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Wreckless mate, I can try and get some info from my nephew but ill try my best and see if I can make the trip up there to see them play

Sorry Scoop! Work committments have come up which will mean I won't be in Orange! :(. I'll look forward to whatever review you can come up with. Meantime I hope the boys enjoy the trip and the rugby, and are able to appreciate some of the fantastic features of the western NSW countryside, in particular Mt Canobolas and the surrounding ranges - it's a great part of the state! :)

MrRugby37

Bob McCowan (2)
Just to butt in here guys, but these are my predictions..

1. Newington
2. Joeys/Kings
3. Joeys/Kings
4. Scots
5. Riverview
6. Shore

A few thoughts on the following players for conversation... Ben Stacy (Kings), Hamish Dunbar (Scots), Paddy O'Brian (Joeys) ???

Thanks fellas.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

1. Newington
2. Joeys/Kings
3. Joeys/Kings
4. Scots
5. Riverview
6. Shore

A few thoughts on the following players for conversation. Ben Stacy (Kings), Hamish Dunbar (Scots), Paddy O'Brian (Joeys) ???

Thanks fellas.

I saw Dunbar play vs. New last year at Bellevue Hill and as I have said before - I rate this guy! I know that one swallow does not a summer make but he was outstanding that day, I believe in the absence of at least one of the bigger name backrowers.

MrRugby37

Bob McCowan (2)
I saw Dunbar play vs. New last year at Bellevue Hill and as I have said before - I rate this guy! I know that one swallow does not a summer make but he was outstanding that day, I believe in the absence of at least one of the bigger name backrowers.
Yes, I've heard some good thing's about him. I remember watching Ben Stacy (Kings) both at the NSW U16 Aus Champs where he was No.5 for NSW Schools and last year for the King's 2nd XV, and he has some real potential to go places in the representative world. Comments?
And anything on O'Brian (Joeys) ?

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes, I've heard some good thing's about him. I remember watching Ben Stacy (Kings) both at the NSW U16 Aus Champs where he was No.5 for NSW Schools and last year for the King's 2nd XV, and he has some real potential to go places in the representative world. Comments?
And anything on O'Brian (Joeys) ?
Stacey is a very good player. I've seen play against Joeys since about U14s or u15s and he is very quick for a second rower and runs the ball really well. He's certainly a big chance to repeat his NSW Schools representation at u16s level.
I noticed from an earlier post that Kings are playing St Stanislaus in a trial this weekend. As they are coming over to Joeys for another trial the weekend after do you know the make up of their firsts team?

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes he is very good as is Scots other back rower Hamish Murray. They both do a lot of work around the field and together with Angus Crichton and Oli Kamp make up a a very dynamic back row. Add Marley Crossley at hooker and Toby Rudolph at 4 or 5 and it is a really good set of forwards that will match and even dominate other sides this year.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
I saw Jack Bowditch from Riverview at the GPS athletics on Saturday and he looks a monstrous size. Any Riverview contributors know what he is weighing atm?

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
OK let's talk about the Sydney GPS 2013 draw and the repercussions that may arise from it - a couple of points first:

i. There are only two rounds in this current Term 2

ii. GPS v CAS + CHS at this Term’s end followed by Oz schools championships in the Term 2 hols = plenty of potential injuries and exhaustion for those chosen to play reps for GPS and NSW Schools

iii. Eight rounds of very physical and demanding rugby on the boys return to school in Term 3 will tax the depth of a number of teams.

1. Newington - the defending champions play View away in the first round and then King's at home before the rep games commence. Both games hold plenty of interest with the very young View team having played plenty of trials and the yet as unseen Kings side playing their first trial next weekend. New are likely to have quite a number of their backs and a couple of their forwards involved in the rep games during the Term 2 break and may have a couple of jaded players by the time the comp recommences in Term 3. They do however commence the Term with the benefit of home ground advantage in their first two games back against Joeys and Scots. They then play Shore away and View at home in round 4 – a good initial draw with four of their first six games at home. Their next three games are the big challenge to them replicating their 2012 premiership as they face Kings, Joeys and Scots all away before playing Shore at home in their final game. A pretty good draw for the defending premiers which will certainly assist them in the defence of their title.

2. Joeys – they kick off with Shore at home which one would expect would be a winning start to the season before playing arch rivals View away in Round 2. They’ll also have a number of players in the rep teams but perhaps not as many as the other heavyweights and may well return more refreshed than some sides. Their major plus in 2013 is their great depth with their 2’s, 3’s and 4’s winning premierships in 2012 and their 1’s finishing 3rd. They kick off Term 3 playing Newington away before consecutive games at home hosting Kings and Scots and then travel away to play Shore. Their remaining four rounds see them play View and Newington at home before finishing with away games against Kings and Scots. It’s a nice draw for the Cerise and Blue and their great depth will serve them well in what will be an arduous 10 rounds in the 2013 comp.

3. Riverview – they start the season with the luxury of two home games but they’ll be major contests with both Joeys and Newington visiting Lane Cove. They are a very young side but have a heap of talent and the results in these two games may well determine their level of achievement in 2013. A good start to the season would see them as favourites against Scots when they play them away when school resumes in Term 3 before they host Shore at home which many would also see as an expected win. But consecutive losses at home in those first two rounds against traditional rivals Joeys and competition favourites Newington would see them travelling to Bellevue Hill to play Scots as underdogs. Another loss there would see a pretty demoralised side facing a Shore team that is always competes until the final whistle. Their next three games are all away - Kings at North Parramatta, Newington at Stanmore and Joeys at Hunters Hill – a very formidable task for any side. Their final three games are against Scots at home, Shore away and Kings at home in the final round. All in all a pretty tough draw for this young side.

4. Scots – two of their first three games are at home where they host Kings in the season kick off followed by View in round three – in between they play Shore away. If they are going to make a mark this season they really need to win all three games as rounds 4, 5 & 6 see them replicate View’s horror game sequence of facing Joeys, Newington and Kings all away. Going into this trio of games with three wins from their first three encounters would see them with their tails up – anything less would may consign them to non contenders in 2013. They return home in round 7 to host Shore and then play Riverview away in round 8. Their final two games are both at home but against Joeys and Newington – by then they’ll either be playing for the title or providing significant nuisance value for those that are.

5. Shore – playing Joeys in round 1 is a massive challenge – more so when you have to travel to Hunters Hill – but knocking them off there can be the organic peptide that enhances your performance over the course of the season. Many underestimated Shore in 2012 and they had a very good season knocking off Kings and Riverview amongst their wins and only went down 24-27 to the undefeated Newington side. I think that their 2013 team is stronger and they’ll make every game a real contest. It’s a pretty challenging 2013 draw for them though as they play Scots at home in round 2, and then Kings and Riverview away in the third and fourth rounds. For a side that always competes so well at the breakdown these three games are all winnable but if they’re 1 from 4 at this point it doesn’t get any easier as in the next two rounds they host heavyweights Joeys and Newington at Northbridge. They then cross the bridge to play Scots in round 7 before having consecutive home games against Kings and View and travel to Stanmore for their season ending game against Newington. Not the greatest of draws for the Shore boys.

6. Kings – a challenging start to their 2013 campaign with them playing away to both Scots and then Newington – winning at least one of these sees them then host Shore on The White at the start of Term 3. A win in this game and a potential two from three start to the season or better before they travel to Joeys for what will be their second game there in 2013, as they play them in a trial before the competition kicks off. Their standing after this round 4 game will define how likely they are to be contenders this year – a 3 from 4 start or even 2 from 4 with a couple of close losses would instill a lot of confidence in their subsequent games against Riverview, Scots and Newington all with the benefit of home ground advantage. Going into round 8 they’ll be either be well in contention for a 29th title or just making up the numbers. They’re away to Shore in this round, play Joeys at Kings in the penultimate round before travelling down the Parramatta River to face View at Lane Cove in round 10. It’s not a bad draw for the sky blue and white – but they too have a number of very talented individuals who will have the added commitment of representative rugby between rounds 2 and 3 – so injury, fatigue and depth are all elements that will feature prominently in their level of success this year.

Summary- Newington, Joeys and Kings best favoured by the draw and young Riverview and Shore least favoured by it.

You must have spent some time doing this CTPE!! I don't think that you should underestimate Scots depth in 2013. Don't forget that they won the U16a's last year being undefeated and were also runners up in the 1sts competition only losing the one game and that was to 2012 winners Newington.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)

1. Newington
2. Joeys/Kings
3. Joeys/Kings
4. Scots
5. Riverview
6. Shore

A few thoughts on the following players for conversation. Ben Stacy (Kings), Hamish Dunbar (Scots), Paddy O'Brian (Joeys) ???

Thanks fellas.
Scots will finish a lot higher than 4th and will go close to winning the competition this year.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Stacey is a very good player. I've seen play against Joeys since about U14s or u15s and he is very quick for a second rower and runs the ball really well. He's certainly a big chance to repeat his NSW Schools representation at u16s level.
I noticed from an earlier post that Kings are playing St Stanislaus in a trial this weekend. As they are coming over to Joeys for another trial the weekend after do you know the make up of their firsts team?

Their depth might be questionable as their 1sts only won two games last year, their 2nds did well winning 5 from 6 but their 3rds only won two games and their 16As three games. Adding to this they have lost Harry Jones and Sam Carter from their backline.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

1. Newington
2. Joeys/Kings
3. Joeys/Kings
4. Scots
5. Riverview
6. Shore

Thanks fellas.
I haven't seen Stacy since last year, so no. Dunbar is headed for Probably II's as far as GPS goes, and pending on where Random and his mob pick him, O'Brien will be staring down the throat of I's maybe but definitely no lower than II's.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone have any news on the 16s from last years Newington 16 A/B sides moving into the Is or IIs this year. Do any of them have a chance to break it in, although coming from a poor year group last year.

MrRugby37

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes I agree, and he has a very good 'rugby brain,' reads the game well.
If I heard right, and correct me if I'm wrong CTPE, but the King's 1sts is as follows:
1. James King
2. Jono Burke
3. Lucas Bateman
4. George Lehman
5. Ben Stacy
6. Sam Connor
7. Jack McCalman
8. David Ballintyne
9. Rory Davis
10. Charlie Friend
11. Olly Martin
12. Will Davies