• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cloud - Silver lining.

If Serhon has made it on his own merits then good for him and I hope he makes a good fist of it.

If he is there solely due to family connections (which I doubt), then the CAS and CHS games will make that rather obvious, and the bench may be called for.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Cloud - Silver lining.

If Serhon has made it on his own merits then good for him and I hope he makes a good fist of it.

If he is there solely due to family connections (which I doubt), then the CAS and CHS games will make that rather obvious, and the bench may be called for.
I thought selectors were not allowed to report a selection from their own school in any event so unlikely a a case of nepotism if allowed to get to this stage

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Why do they need to raise money in addition to the fees and federal government grants?
ridiculous.

Maybe to raise funds for the rugby programme, so that the fees and govt grants go towards other areas. A portion of the proceeds also went to the Starlight Foundation. Newington also had a lunch on Friday.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe to raise funds for the rugby programme, so that the fees and govt grants go towards other areas. A portion of the proceeds also went to the Starlight Foundation. Newington also had a lunch on Friday.

So let me make sure i understand: the exorbitant fees are not quite enough to cover the cost of the rugby program?
Does the hyperbaric chamber get charged to rugby or something else?

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
So let me make sure i understand: the exorbitant fees are not quite enough to cover the cost of the rugby program?

IS, if Grammar don't have a rugby lunch,I think you might find that they would be the only private school in GPS that don't. I know Kings and Shore have one, and a post above said Newington do as well. Perhaps they should contemplate having one in order to drum up some more interest and passion for rugby at the school. Generally they seem to be very successful in this regard.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see that The Armidale School had three boys in the NSW Country Schools team that played CHS II yesterday (Score NSW Cnty 25 CHS II 19)..

Are TAS are in the 3rd XV competition along with High and Grammar?

Any reports on how they have been going?

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
The lunch is run by the Scots College Rugby Support Group (ie parents of boys) to raise funds to support the school's rugby programme for all age groups. I've been to the Kings Rugby Club annual lunch in the past and also to the rugby fundraising function that Joeys hold each year and both of these are also run by parents of boys at the schools. As seen from other posts Shore and Newington have similar annual rugby functions.
IS given your passion for rugby development at Grammar your energies may be well spent in forming a Grammar Rugby Club or Supporters Group as getting parents involved in school rugby is as essential an ingredient for development of the sport as is the involvement of the boys themselves.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Just put it out there - a couple of months ago it was touch and go whether the GPS would have independent referees for 1sts and 2nds, because of the amount of abuse they copped last season.

You are either a part of the problem or part of the solution. Coming here and complaining is good for your venting, but will it solve the problem? If you think you can do it better - volunteer!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, if Grammar don't have a rugby lunch,I think you might find that they would be the only private school in GPS that don't. I know Kings and Shore have one, and a post above said Newington do as well. Perhaps they should contemplate having one in order to drum up some more interest and passion for rugby at the school. Generally they seem to be very successful in this regard.

I am aware of what "all the other schools do" - i have no problem with the concept of a lunch and the arousal of passion and interest, or interest and passion as the case may be, by that means.
I do not understand the necessity to raise money to play rugby when the schools are flush with funds: see the rampant building programs and renovation of their playing fields on an almost annual basis, in one case.

IS given your passion for rugby development at Grammar your energies may be well spent in forming a Grammar Rugby Club or Supporters Group as getting parents involved in school rugby is as essential an ingredient for development of the sport as is the involvement of the boys themselves.

There was one, in which I was involved in an unofficial capacity, that was fairly actively discouraged and therefore died about 2 or 3 years ago.
My understanding was that the school did not want them raising money for scrum machines etc and actively discouraged that type of thing. Masters were discouraged, if not prohibited, from going to an annual dinner.
Parents were not encouraged, let alone invited, to have any real input - but this is not an approach confined to rugby: the one exception is the Boatshed.
That said there has been a sea change with the arrival of Fear.
I am told that everything he has asked for he has received.
I am not easily impressed (which may be obvious) but I am extremely impressed with him.
If he thinks he needs a supporters group he might ask for one and may get one - he is well placed to determine the need for such a thing.
There is simply no rugby culture among parents at grammar: few come from a rugby background. Relatively few old boys have sons there. Few parents played the game or even watched it. with a few exceptions its a distraction from the real business of life.
There is no real interest in the game beyond a few die hards in each age group. Fear is working on that - hence the first step in his plan was achieved by getting 2 boys into GPS U16's: this demonstrates to the other boys that it can be done. It would have been nice for Gorry to make GPS opens for the same reasons: at 6' 5'' and still growing Gorry has potential beyond school.
Just like Cam Crawford.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
IS, Shore have a sportsmans lunch every second year. The last one was in 2012. I assume as they don't have any sporting scholarship holders they do not need the money to support this burden. Kings, Newington and as we have all heard Scots have very well organised season launches. What about Joeys and Riverview?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There's no doubt Newington have one:
new.jpg

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
any injuries from the round?
surely this question is a little 'academic' don't you think, with 5 weeks until the next game?

but then, some of the referees should be carrying sore arses after some much deserved swift kicks in respect to their performances . . . .

B

ben wal

surely this question is a little 'academic' don't you think, with 5 weeks until the next game?

but then, some of the referees should be carrying sore arses after some much deserved swift kicks in respect to their performances . .

next time you try to sound like you have some sort of knowledge, just ponder on the possibility of many boys in the 1s comp playing in the gps teams

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One would hope that the AAGPS selectors would not be selecting boys who are carrying injuries in the GPS Rep Camp, after all the team only exists for two games this week.

Either the boys selected on Saturday night are fit and capable of playing two games this week as I can't see any reason to carry injured players into camp, just in case.

Although if there are boys named in the Squad carrying injuries into Camp that are unlikely to be available for the Tuesday or Friday games, then maybe George Smith may have a point about the selection process that he posted a page or two back.

Status
Not open for further replies.