• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
No joeys team list for this week yet. But the joeys athletes are still unavailable for selection the team that takes this field this week will be nowhere near the ultimate first xv. At least four or five backs and several forwards who will come back into the side after gps athletic carnival.

rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
No but I can tell you that I was told 3 years ago that the SJC year 7 of that year had more soccer players than rugby: that would be this years u16s-any chance it's true?
In the trials against Knox last month the 16 age group fielded 5 rugby teams and the E and F's played an internal trial. 7 x 15
Soccer only had 2 teams listed to play 2 x 11
Athletics members were not included in the trials but doubt 100% of them are soccer players

footytime

Stan Wickham (3)
I know this isnt really relevant but a bit of comedy for today. If you direct your eyes to the poll up the top, it has Shores winning the premership at 10.7% with Newington at 9%

Just saying

footytime

Stan Wickham (3)
Also its been previously mentioned on this thread is the 3rd XV competition. As this really got my attention last year, I look forward to see how it plays out again, probably tight with no real favourites. As last year even the winners Armidale were third on the ladder at the 8th game, so it will really come down to the wire

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can anybody help me out with the locations of trial games this weekend? Much appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Usually you get a bit of action during the holidays, when they get on Mummys Laptops and iPads as well, but yep School is back and the keyboard footy season will soon be behind us.

For some the vicarious keyboard footy season never ends.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I know this isnt really relevant but a bit of comedy for today. If you direct your eyes to the poll up the top, it has Shores winning the premership at 10.7% with Newington at 9%

Just saying

I find the poll bizarre in more ways than that. Just under 45% predict a Riverview victory - while they will certainly be a good team, I don't see how last season's performances reflect such dominance. Nor do I see how Scots, Joeys and Kings can be so far behind Riverview and only just in front of Shore and Newington.

Probably a race in 4, and will probably come down to injuries and a bit of luck I suspect.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have deleted some posts that present a danger of circular accusations about a matter on which I have no clue about who is in the right.

If the posters were known to us we could form an opinion but they aren't.

The deletions were made for the good of the thread and I regret that I may have offended some poster.

I request that the posters concerned don't revisit the subject, nor target the other poster in the future.

Thank you.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Update from the Shore School - Star forward Paddy Olver out for the season with a dislocated knee. He is set to have surgery in the coming weeks. Big blow to the school who were looking to make up for their embarrassing winless season of 2013.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Update from the Shore School - Star forward Paddy Olver out for the season with a dislocated knee. He is set to have surgery in the coming weeks. Big blow to the school who were looking to make up for their embarrassing winless season of 2013.

Poor bugger. I've always thought he was a fairly decent lock forward.
Selected for NSW Schools U16 and, IIRC, missed that tournament with an injury issue.

There is always next year. Time to focus on his studies in 2014.

Outsidein

Frank Row (1)
Didn't a SHORE boy dislocate his knee and do his ACL in the pre-season last year aswell-conolly? SHORE's bad run of injuries is concerning me, maybe their preparation or their strength and conditioning training needs to be reviewed?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's extremely disappointing to hear about Paddy Olver, he's a very talented player, and therefore a huge loss to Shore, and one of the GPS representative sides by extension.
It seems that a lot of people have predicated their scepticism of Riverview's success on the fact that last year's side wasn't particularly strong. I have a few responses to this. Firstly, they were strong, they came 3rd in a year where Newington and Scots were extremely strong - they still convincingly beat Joeys, Shore, and Kings (not the second time round mind you), and they were testing for New and Scots. Secondly, there seems to be a somewhat misplaced trend towards basing predictions about school's form on their previous year's 1st XV success. It is obviously worthwhile to consider that 12, I think, students in Riverview's 1st XV last year WEREN'T in Year 12. When you take that into consideration, and combine it with the fact that Riverview went well last year, it makes some of the hype justified. Lastly, the reason that people think this Riverview side is good isn't because they were absolutely outstanding last year, it's because they have been consistently strong, and have a lot of great individuals. Sure, Scots and Newington may have been the best sides last year, but, all things being equal, a comparison between the sides these teams are fielding for THIS YEAR'S and THIS YEAR'S Riverview side surely lends itself to the latter.
I have provided my reasons for why I think Riverview is the side to beat, and I am happy for people to disagree, and by arguing in favour of them I don't in anyway discredit the outstanding teams and individuals other schools have to offer. Hype inevitably develops from sort of perception that a team is strong - it is grounded in some sort of truth - they are a strong side, and all we can do now is speculate. It is entirely probable that claims made on this forum will be proven incorrect, but that's why we're speculating, not determining success. By its very nature a forum like this encourages that sort of sooth, so it is somewhat frivolous to complain that a team is "overhyped".

Riverview play Stannies this weekend in Bathurst, with every single athlete not allowed to play. The side that is playing looks radically different from every other side they have offered so far:
1. Alex Hamilton
2. Evan Pritchard
3. Alex Hancock
4. Jack Rudd
5. Beau Peterson
6. Jake Meincke
7. Lachlan Archer
8. Jack Hayson
9. Daniel Rorke
10. Lachlan Condon
11. Tom McBryde
12. Bill Freeman
13. Elliot Gehrig
14. Matt O'Brien
15. Louis Anderson
The week after is GPS Aths, so unfortunately there's no rugby, but the week after Riverview play Augustine's, in what is firming to be one of the most challenging matches of the season. Athletes from Riverview will be playing, so there are no excuses if they lose.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
That is a shame re Shore's loss ...you never like to hear of season ending injuries.
.... it does however make me reflect on what I believe to be an important coaching differentiator

how to integrate the 1sts and 2nds ... ie how does a coach ensure that inevitable player losses are seamlessly plugged?

these pre-season tours, you would think, would work towards ensuring an extended group knows one another

however I think some schools do a better job of striking the right balance between allowing the 1sts to train on their own, and also having a wider 1st/2nd player/training group

joeys obviously with their big boarding house component, has an unfair advantage .... but their whole training seems to be great in this regard (or certainly used to be).... I would be curious to know the Joeys coaching set-up, given Boyd seems to be stepping further away ?

and at the other end of spectrum ..... Shore .... in my view have tended to be woeful in this area ... and this dates back to Jika Travers ... when you virtually had rivalry between the 1sts and 2nds ... and Chris Hawkins having greater success with the 2nds

These days, Shore gets some of the best kids from a strong Gordon junior rep programme ... and has the sons of the likes of Gregan and Farr-Jones ....but the results, 6 years later, don't show it

Shore unless I am mistaken still have this thing called the "30 club" .... it is indicative of their approach ... too much exclusivity and arrogance

talk about tossers!

anyway this mentality is IMHO a big part of why the Shore rugby trophy cabinet is pretty bare

so expecting another year with Shore languishing at the bottom ... with Joeys and View to be main contenders

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have a few responses to this. Firstly, they were strong, they came 3rd in a year where Newington and Scots were extremely strong - they still convincingly beat Joeys, Shore, and Kings (not the second time round mind you), and they were testing for New and Scots.

Ive stayed out of this but your well written and reasoned case deserves a response.
I saw view play twice last year - once against each of Scots and New.
They were never competitive in the New game, IMHO.
They were competitive until 1/2 time in the Scots game but I always felt that TSC would run over the top of them in the 2nd half and my recollection is that is exactly what happened.
I think that there is some serious overestimation of the quality of their inside backs, no doubt AAGPS selection and beyond will prove me wrong, yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.