• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
1. Alex Hamilton
2. Evan Pritchard
3. Alex Hancock
4. Jack Rudd
5. Beau Peterson
6. Jake Meincke
7. Lachlan Archer
8. Jack Hayson
9. Daniel Rorke
10. Lachlan Condon
11. Tom McBryde
12. Bill Freeman
13. Elliot Gehrig
14. Matt O'Brien
15. Louis Anderson
The week after is GPS Aths, so unfortunately there's no rugby, but the week after Riverview play Augustine's, in what is firming to be one of the most challenging matches of the season. Athletes from Riverview will be playing, so there are no excuses if they lose.

Hello AKA the think, I'm very impressed with your pre-season thoughts and your ability of writing, as an on looker of the whole GPS comp. Personally knowing people, players and coaches from schools such as Shore, Scots and Riverview, helps me to see how each teams are progressing and developing. I believe that you may need to revisit some of your previous comments and not ramp up this Riverview side so early, yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you being a Riverview student by the looks of things fail to see the development and progression of other schools. Scots are looking very dominant and by the sounds of things they will be hard to beat. Also the team listed is fine but Elliot Gehrig will be playing 11 and Tom McBryde is playing 13. Remember try to look through clear glasses, not through the ones shaded blue and white.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys will match St Pats in 1st-3rds while the 4ths will play Pius 1sts.

Team List vs Pats
1. Marcus Cutler
2. Pat O'Doherty
3. Jake Finnane
4. Will O'Connell
5. Sam Knight
6. Matt Psaltis
7. Josh Canturi
8. Tom Horton
9. Banjo Traevers
10. Connor O'Shea (c)
11. Joey Schwager
12. Willo McDonell
13. Matt Scolari
14. Will Fell
15. Kobi Bates

Missing to athletics - Koim Wingti, Tom Wright, Tim McCutcheon, Max Knight, Dylan Grant, Eddy King, Lachie Phillips and Nathan Gitteos

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
9. Dan Rorke/Lachlan Condon
10. Jack Mcgregor
11. Conor Hurley
12. Joe Stageman (Returning from injury)
13. Henry Hutchison
14. Elijah Williams/Tom Mckellar
15. Bill Freeman

First comp round and against Augustines it will most likely be:
10. Jack Mcgregor
11. Conor Hurley
12. Bill Freeman
13. Henry Hutchison
14. Elijah Williams/ Tom McBryde
15. Tom Mckellar

Donotquestion

Stan Wickham (3)
First comp round and against Augustines it will most likely be:
10. Jack Mcgregor
11. Conor Hurley
12. Bill Freeman
13. Henry Hutchison
14. Elijah Williams/ Tom McBryde
15. Tom Mckellar

Question was, a full strength backline. Obvious changes made during the next couple of games due to stageman returning from a broken leg.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I
It seems that a lot of people have predicated their scepticism of Riverview's success on the fact that last year's side wasn't particularly strong. I have a few responses to this. Firstly, they were strong, they came 3rd in a year where Newington and Scots were extremely strong - they still convincingly beat Joeys, Shore, and Kings (not the second time round mind you), and they were testing for New and Scots.

True they came third, and true that beat the teams that you described. But what these statistics don't reveal is that they struggled against the physical New and Scots teams. Riverview's losses to both schools were much bigger than either Joeys or Kings suffered.

I think they'll have a good team, but I question your assertion that they tested either New or Scots in 2013. In fact they were well beaten each time. Not that this means they won't win in 2014, it just means that their form doesn't suggest that they are that far ahead of Scots, Kings and Joeys.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not sure.
New & Scots were a level above(see the other thread for details)
But Kings having a couple of inside backs( yr 12) that could contain the New monsters for example,a little better than the yr 11 View kids is not a form guide you could make money on.
The View 9 who has now gone,was a much better player than both the 9's the outrageous selection process dredged up IMO.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
True they came third, and true that beat the teams that you described. But what these statistics don't reveal is that they struggled against the physical New and Scots teams. Riverview's losses to both schools were much bigger than either Joeys or Kings suffered.

I think they'll have a good team, but I question your assertion that they tested either New or Scots in 2013. In fact they were well beaten each time. Not that this means they won't win in 2014, it just means that their form doesn't suggest that they are that far ahead of Scots, Kings and Joeys.
View never tested Newington, but they did put it to Scots in the return clash. Your opinion about them struggling with those 2 bigger sides is correct, but at least 10 of the firsts were young, that includes 2 yr 12 boys in Molloy and Whitley both young, as well as another 3 under age boys who played in the 1's at some stage throughout the season because of injury. The point is they will be a bigger side in 2914 and won't struggle with other large packs like in 2013. Regardless of views credentials I genuinely think 2014 will be an incredibly close comp and will probably be decided by key injuries. I know a couple of families at view, as I do in most if the other GPS schools, and the team is not talking themselves up at all. They know they are a good side, which they are, but they also have a healthy respect for the other sides. I gather their preparation has been very different this year from last, so only time will tell. Bring it on, can't wait..

john williamson

Frank Nicholson (4)
View never tested Newington, but they did put it to Scots in the return clash. Your opinion about them struggling with those 2 bigger sides is correct, but at least 10 of the firsts were young, that includes 2 yr 12 boys in Molloy and Whitley both young, as well as another 3 under age boys who played in the 1's at some stage throughout the season because of injury. The point is they will be a bigger side in 2914 and won't struggle with other large packs like in 2013. Regardless of views credentials I genuinely think 2014 will be an incredibly close comp and will probably be decided by key injuries. I know a couple of families at view, as I do in most if the other GPS schools, and the team is not talking themselves up at all. They know they are a good side, which they are, but they also have a healthy respect for the other sides. I gather their preparation has been very different this year from last, so only time will tell. Bring it on, can't wait..

The main reason for the high expectations of Riverview is that up until U16's they were undefeated. All throughout this Riverview class of 2014's schooling life, they have been placed with these high expectations. I understand that the Riverview coaching staff has placed strong emphasis on making sure the team does not rely on the victories of past age groups as to keep their ego intact. I do agree though, we are in for a good year with majority of the teams being in with a chance.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Firstly, this quote is indicative of the line of argumentation being used by lots of people. Even if it were the case that the Riverview team "struggled", I reject the idea that this has much of a bearing on this years' result.

For analogies sake the Riverview side in 2010, which was largely composed of year 11s struggled tremendously (to a far greater extent than last years' side) with Newington, Joeys and the like, but that didn't inhibit their ability to go on and win the premiership in 2012.

Many of the players in the Newington and Scots sides that were essential in those sides dominance have left, to the extent that their 1st XVs this year are quite different sides. 1st XV sides aren't test or super rugby sides - their form from last year doesn't correlate to form this year - and so I hardly think it is at all constructive to read into last year's team results and divine results. It is better to compare the form of specific individuals within the team, especially relative to competition the same age. Through that measurement I base my argument.

Hello AKA the think, I'm very impressed with your pre-season thoughts and your ability of writing, as an on looker of the whole GPS comp. Personally knowing people, players and coaches from schools such as Shore, Scots and Riverview, helps me to see how each teams are progressing and developing. I believe that you may need to revisit some of your previous comments and not ramp up this Riverview side so early, yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you being a Riverview student by the looks of things fail to see the development and progression of other schools. Scots are looking very dominant and by the sounds of things they will be hard to beat. Also the team listed is fine but Elliot Gehrig will be playing 11 and Tom McBryde is playing 13. Remember try to look through clear glasses, not through the ones shaded blue and white.

The irony of course being that your ability to point out this supposed error makes it obvious that you attend the school - how else would you get information that privileged?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Not a lot of support for Joeys in the poll which is surprising considering them and Scots would be considered the next best team throughout this age group. A few returning from last years 1st, a heap from an extremely dominate 2nds side and even more from a 16As side who won the pennant every year since year 7. A lot of interest in the View vs Augustine's game, but I think the Joeys vs Oakhill game on the same week is just as interesting and should not be ignored. IMO it'll be between View, Joeys and Scots this year with Kings causing those three plenty of trouble throughout the season.

john williamson

Frank Nicholson (4)
A lot of interest in the View vs Augustine's game, but I think the Joeys vs Oakhill game on the same week is just as interesting and should not be ignored.

Both games will be very exciting with 4 of the strongest teams in sydney all facing difficult tasks. Will be the first chance to see almost full strength Joeys and Riverview teams as the athletes will be back.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
The irony of course being that your ability to point out this supposed error makes it obvious that you attend the school - how else would you get information that privileged?

The fact that you think and still are looking through the blue and white glasses shows to me that you fail to get yourself out of the north shore box, my time at a GPS schooling education is done, I'm able to know this as i have brothers who now attend the school and one of them in year 12, playing in the 2nds. Moreover i hope to see insightful information from yourself and analogies of players throughout the season.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The fact that you think and still are looking through the blue and white glasses shows to me that you fail to get yourself out of the north shore box, my time at a GPS schooling education is done, I'm able to know this as i have brothers who now attend the school and one of them in year 12, playing in the 2nds. Moreover i hope to see insightful information from yourself and analogies of players throughout the season.

The fact that you've supposedly graduated from an elite GPS high-school and you use the term "whose" instead of "who's" in your name says a lot about you.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Don't know what that has to do with rugby..This isn't debating, but im sure you can correct their grammar on that forum

It's great to see that you've realised the futility of semantics about each poster's personal life and education, now please refrain from providing (edit: spelling) characterisations of me that aren't rooted in truth, or are intentionally disparaging in nature.

If you want my balanced opinion, please refer to earlier postings in this forum, they were intentionally balanced and rounded. I reasoned that with that process well and truly out of the way, and my allegiances evident (at no stage have I shied away from my school) I could direct my attention towards responding to claims people make about Riverview, and participating in this forum with an established opinion, as most do. Sorry if that's too much to ask, I'll consider you specifically every time I even think to go on this website.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Firstly, this quote is indicative of the line of argumentation being used by lots of people. Even if it were the case that the Riverview team "struggled", I reject the idea that this has much of a bearing on this years' result.

For analogies sake the Riverview side in 2010, which was largely composed of year 11s struggled tremendously (to a far greater extent than last years' side) with Newington, Joeys and the like, but that didn't inhibit their ability to go on and win the premiership in 2012.

Many of the players in the Newington and Scots sides that were essential in those sides dominance have left, to the extent that their 1st XVs this year are quite different sides. 1st XV sides aren't test or super rugby sides - their form from last year doesn't correlate to form this year - and so I hardly think it is at all constructive to read into last year's team results and divine results. It is better to compare the form of specific individuals within the team, especially relative to competition the same age. Through that measurement I base my argument.

You seem to be misunderstanding the point of everything that I have said. I have never said that Riverview would not or could not win this year, I have merely expressed surprise at the survey figures which show that they have received 43.8% compared to 12.5% for the next school. I don't believe that this is an accurate reflection of how close the competition will be.

Interesting that you choose to dismiss 2013 facts which tend to disprove your theories, while embracing history which suits your argument.

Newington have certainly lost a big part of their team, I'm not sure that you could say the same about Scots, who also performed very strongly in 2nds, 3rds and 16As. I was talking to a Riverview parent recently and he has strong doubts about whether they will be able to beat Scots.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You seem to be misunderstanding the point of everything that I have said. I have never said that Riverview would not or could not win this year, I have merely expressed surprise at the survey figures which show that they have received 43.8% compared to 12.5% for the next school. I don't believe that this is an accurate reflection of how close the competition will be.

Interesting that you choose to dismiss 2013 facts which tend to disprove your theories, while embracing history which suits your argument.

Newington have certainly lost a big part of their team, I'm not sure that you could say the same about Scots, who also performed very strongly in 2nds, 3rds and 16As. I was talking to a Riverview parent recently and he has strong doubts about whether they will be able to beat Scots.

I know what you were arguing, and you are entirely right, Riverview are by no means dominant enough to justify that ridiculously strong hype, and the truth is these polls lend themselves to absurd outcomes because all it takes is a single boarding house to get involved and suddenly results are skewed.

I wasn't, nor was I ever, dismissing that other schools have a chance, I am a voice representing a particular view point, no pun intended, just as you are another voice representing a perspective. I think this will be a very close competition, and all this talk is just getting me excited for when it starts.

john williamson

Frank Nicholson (4)
As it has been stated, it is far too difficult to come to such definitive assumptions about the overall results of Riverview this year. Yes, they have a strong team, but so do 3 other schools who will all be a challenge for Riverview. Only time can tell though...

Status
Not open for further replies.