• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Can someone explain to me how the 3rd XV is drawn? Because why is it the case that some schools like Grammar have 3 home and 5 away games where as schools like Kings have 5 home and 3 away? Shouldn't it be a simple 4 home/4 away split?

The new format with the 3rd's plays havoc with the draw! I "tips 'me lid" to those who work it out! A TAS 1st XV game in Armidale will not have the drawing power ( even though it will usually be a great game! ) to get 1st's & 2nd's from from two other schools to travel for this and the draw has to managed accordingly. The thing of interest is how teams manage reserves when they are the "one team " playing away when everyone else is at home! Experienced it for the first time last year and seemed that everyone had a lot of goodwill to make it work! I loved the 3rds last year - good luck to all the boys going around in what is probably the most competitive competition! :)

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Because the comp hasn't started yet. This weekend is the first round of the 3rds competition.

Then going on what happened last weekend and using Riverview as an example 1st 2nds 4ths 6ths 7th 8ths 10ths played round 1 but 3rds 5ths and 9ths who played Grammar start their round 1 this weekend.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Does anyone know the process and timing of selections for the Presidents A and B sides for this year. The GPS 1st and 2nd XV info is up on the AAGPS site but so far nothing on the Presidents squads other than game dates. I understand the schools nominate players to attend trials...but not sure if these are specific trials or players are just nominated and watched during school games...then the squads are picked to play the other school systems on 21 June...Can anyone fill in the blanks on the process and timings. If current info is unknown any info on previous years processes would be appreciated?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From: http://portals.studentnet.edu.au/sports/uploads/DocArchive/DOCARC0004028.htm

CIRCULAR TO GPS RUGBY TEAMS 2014

Combined GPS Rugby Teams will be selected on the evening of Saturday 14th June 2014.
Teams will be posted on the website and in the Sunday morning papers.
Selectors will also phone the schools to inform them of representation details on Saturday evening.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING DETAILS

Sunday 15th June The Scots College 12.30 p.m. – 4.30 p.m.

· Issue of information
· Completion of NSWSRU Forms
· Fitness checks
· Team Photos: GPS Jumpers; Shorts (issued) and your own SCHOOL SOCKS
· Training

Monday 16th June: 3.30 p.m. – 5 p.m.
· 1st and 2nd XV training at The Scots College
· GPS White and GPS Blue training at Woollahra Oval O’Sullivan Road Rose Bay
· Dinner Anderson Hall The Scots College 5.45 p.m. Dinner will end at approximately 8.30 p.m.
· School Uniform / Blazer to be worn

Tuesday 17th June: Fixtures at The Scots College
12.45 a.m. GPS White v GPS Blue
2.00 p.m. GPS 2 v CAS 2
3.15 p.m. GPS 1 v CAS 1

New teams available from the website on the evening of Tuesday 17th June and in morning papers Wednesday 19th June.

Training either Wednesday 18th or Thursday 19th June to be advised by Team Coaches.

Friday 20th June: Fixtures at Knox Curagul Grounds Bobbin Head Road North Turramurra

10.15 a.m. GPS (White / Blue) v ISA 2
11.30 a.m. GPS (White/Blue) v CCC
2.00 p.m. GPS 2 v CHS 2
3.15 p.m. GPS 1 v CHS 1

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks HJ...have seen this info but it appears to be specific to GPS first and second XV rather than 16's...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AAGPS do not officially recognise the U16's as Representative team, therefore you will not see any information about them on the AAGPS web site under Representative Teams.

To get around this quirk of bureaucracy, the two AAGPS U16 teams attend the NSW SRU championships as Presidents A and Presidents B teams.

Technically a lad from one of the other associations could end up playing for one of the Presidents XV teams if they were overlooked by their home association, but to the best of my knowledge this has never happened, although there was an anomoly last year where one lad from outside AAGPS was nominated but he may have been in the process of changing schools at the time (or it may even have been a typo).

@Inside Shoulder is correct. The President's XV U16 trials will be held this Sunday, with "El Presidente" usually announcing their A and B XV selections on the day of the trial.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Technically a lad from one of the other associations could end up playing for one of the Presidents XV teams if they were overlooked by their home association, but to the best of my knowledge this has never happened, although there was an anomoly last year where one lad from outside AAGPS was nominated but he may have been in the process of changing schools at the time (or it may even have been a typo).

He played for one of the teams last year and never, to my knowledge, appeared at GPS school - despite claims at the time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thought he was doing paper work to enrol at Newington..didn't happen?

Don't think so. i guess its possible.
The story was IIRC (HJ will recall better than me) that he missed selection for ISA or IAECS and no one could believe it.
The real pity was that I don't think he deserved a spot but in order to preserve the illusion that this was the presidents XV and not the GPS he was picked: I have no basis for that other than incurable cynicism!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The lad in question was listed as being from St Doms. His name is back in the G&GR archives, but it is actually irrelevant, and perhaps should be discussed in hushed tones elsewhere.

I didn't get to Knox last year, so unsure if he scored a gig or not, nor how well he played if he did.
He was listed as the #12 for Presidents B.

Apparently he had tried out for CCC U16's through MCS team, but was not selected for them.
Perhaps he didn't have a good CCC trial. Posters have identified him as having a strong fivekick background (Howard Matts, age group reps etc), so perhaps El Presidente wanted to see if the lad had potential when playing with All the Presidents Men.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
When talking about the Presidents A and B is that the White and Blue teams or are they something entirely differrent ?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
When talking about the Presidents A and B is that the White and Blue teams or are they something entirely differrent ?

16s - white & blue are opens
I went up there HJ in those torrential conditions prevailing over the whole week to watch the final between Pres A and B.
I can't recall him in that game I saw him at the trial.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was a bit of a woosie last year @Inside shoulder. Sweet things like me melt in the rain. :)

@Ted S. Due to AICES pulling out of the NSW Schools RU U18 trials, AAGPS have stepped up and will now be offering up four (4) teams to participate in the trials for selection into NSW Schools I, II and Combined States teams. The teams will be AAGPS 1st XV, AAGPS 2nd XV, AAGPS Blue, AAGPS White.

With NSW Country Schools pulling out of the Trials for 2015, assuming that AICES also do not participate in 2015, then we may only see two AAGPS representative teams next year. Conversely the Mandarins may decide to invite AAGPS to nominate a 5th rep team (AAAGPS Technicolour) to replace NSW Country Schools.

Regardless. it is not a good sign that Rugby is growing in popularity, and this should be of concern to the powerbrokers in the St Leonards Boardroom at Rugby Central.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
..............Conversely the Mandarins may decide to invite AAGPS to nominate a 5th rep team (AAAGPS Technicolour) to replace NSW Country Schools.

It would be beyond my wildest dreams that they name Joseph as The Amazing Technicolour Dream Coach!!! They'll only get one shot at this - let's hope they find the right guy! ( a Joseph that is! ) The sub-editors would be frothing at the mouth!!! :D Wreckless

Status
Not open for further replies.