• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anybody who thinks GPS rugby is in good health is suffering from delusions. Look at the bare facts, 2 teams leaving the 1st XV comp within the lst 5-10 years, the premiers from two years ago losing by 100+ points, the comp leaders stacked with scholarship talent against the wishes of the other schools. The once mighty GPS is a little crest fallen at the moment. The quality of players being churned out is still good but the means by which they are coming through is in some cases questionable. I for one would not like to see the structure of the comp changed as it would take away from the history that has been established. Just get back to basics and begin developing the cattle you get and common sense should prevail.

B

Brumby Jack the 1st

Is it possible that scots had their foot on the break in the first half? And in the second half decided to put a little more effort in to make sure they won the game? To me it looks as if they didn't want to put such a big score on riverview as it would increase the spotlight they already have on them. Thoughts?

If you really think a schoolboy team is capable of controlling a game like that you are absolutely wrong!! Don't take anything away from Riverview they played an excellent style of footy that rattled and shut Scots "run at all cost gameplan" down for the first 40-50 minutes. If you really believe that than give yourself an uppercut

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There is also the need for Grammar and SBH to bring their 1st XV up to a competitive standard.

Will not happen, unfortunately.
I think Grammar fielded 11 rugby teams yesterday. (31 soccer) [Funnily enough certain groups are made to attend each home game and they mostly watch the rugby when they do]
3 in opens + 2 teams per year.
Not sure what SBHS's attitude is.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
What coach tells his players too loose a match, as you saw in the paper Mr Lambert says they train hard and try to execute game plans, if you're trying to tell me their game plan was to loose the first half you must be still drunk from the Waratahs win last night. Riverview played exceptional rugby and i think a bit of credit to the view lads is needed, its outrageous people are making such remarks, it's so wrong on so many fronts.

No disrespect to the view boys at all, valiant effort. I just don't think that the Scots players went into the match with the same winning, foot on throat mentality that they have in previous weeks. I believe this led to so many of the clumsy errors in the first half. Must have gotten a kick up the bum at half time and then started playing the class rugby that they have played thus far.

Captain Cabby

Stan Wickham (3)
No disrespect to the view boys at all, valiant effort. I just don't think that the Scots players went into the match with the same winning, foot on throat mentality that they have in previous weeks. I believe this led to so many of the clumsy errors in the first half. Must have gotten a kick up the bum at half time and then started playing the class rugby that they have played thus far.

Obviously they didn't go into the game with the right mentality. But they didn't go into the game to let the other team gain a 21-0 lead on purpose.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Grammar fielded 11 rugby teams yesterday. (31 soccer) [Funnily enough certain groups are made to attend each home game and they mostly watch the rugby when they do]

I think that High have the same number of teams as Grammar and roughly the same soccer/rugby ratio.

What's quite illuminating is the for and against in 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV - the blowout scores would seem largely confined to 1sts. So, maybe right across the schools, things aren't as unbalanced as they appear. The number of teams each school can field are quite different though.

http://portals.studentnet.edu.au/sports/uploads/DocArchive/DOCARC0004070.htm

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Obviously they didn't go into the game with the right mentality. But they didn't go into the game to let the other team gain a 21-0 lead on purpose.

Gee wiz some of you blokes-I know it must have been amazing to some Scots supporters to see their team down 21-0 after 45 minutes but anybody who knows their rugby well could see what happened-Scots team playing was neutralised by a very well executing starting Riverview 15.
Their was no hint of Scots going on complacent.
This game could have gone either way.
I am sure that the Scots coaches know that and they will be working as hard as Riverview over the next 4 rounds to be able to throw in a few surprises -they won't be able to rest on their old laurels.
Its a new ball game and now that Riverview have a sniff and know what they are up against you can be sure they won't either.
Both sides will be crazy if they don't work real hard over the next four weeks and remember however seemingly remote there are wild card with a point to prove if even only for themselves teams like Joeys and Newington and Shore and yes even a right now underestimated Kings out there who can pull a surprise on a complacent or just a plain "off day" team and the next thing one of the two premier teams will know is that they have had a loss or even a draw!!!
This is sudden death GPS schoolboy Rugby-no semis or finals to give you another chance-just the two rounds and we are now in real knock out mode starting the second round.Very exciting and a time to make the right decisions and probably some hard starting team choices based solely on form by all coaching staff.

Theking12

Stan Wickham (3)
Scots father here, after my sons game in the scots 4ths I ventured over to centennial park yesterday to watch the 5ths joeys v high 2nds. The 5ths once again played extremely exciting footy with them constantly securing their own rucks and contesting highs rucks over and over. They spread the ball wide and love to put up a few chip and chases which converted into tries. The first few minutes was played in highs 22 but joeys struggled to get over the line with with a few silly eras such as drop balls and forward passed but once they got going there was no looking back they put 50 on the boys from high school. These boys definitely look as if they are playing for each other and no where each other are on the field. They kept their structure and this is credit to their coach. This team is a dominant force in the lower grades as they knock off another 2nds side convincingly. Fantastic performances from 5, 8, 7, 10, 12, 13 . Another game I watched on the day was joeys 3rds v high 1st. The game went back and forth with joeys securing the game in the last 2 minutes getting over the line for a try making it 19-17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Anybody who thinks GPS rugby is in good health is suffering from delusions. Look at the bare facts, 2 teams leaving the 1st XV comp within the lst 5-10 years, the premiers from two years ago losing by 100+ points, the comp leaders stacked with scholarship talent against the wishes of the other schools. The once mighty GPS is a little crest fallen at the moment. The quality of players being churned out is still good but the means by which they are coming through is in some cases questionable. I for one would not like to see the structure of the comp changed as it would take away from the history that has been established. Just get back to basics and begin developing the cattle you get and common sense should prevail.

I'm guessing you are from Joeys then?

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)

Having 1sts teams play 3rds teams is a bit out of order, I do love how people live and die by the grammar 1sts results when they aren't really 1's. They should at least be in the seconds comp

Browntrout

Frank Row (1)
no.7 Taylor Deer
Will post up some video footage of it shortly.
Was an amazing game, really tough & well contested. Both great sides..
One thing I cannot stand in school boy rugby is the try scorer celebrating before they put the ball down.... Even when they are behind on the scoreboard. Too much of that BS these days

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
One thing I cannot stand in school boy rugby is the try scorer celebrating before they put the ball down.. Even when they are behind on the scoreboard. Too much of that BS these days

That was in fact the no.8 scoring the third try. I can't stand it either, at any level..

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
39mins fairly full footage of Riverview v Scots, for anyone who missed the game. Second half coverage is better [first half was a bit distant].

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Having 1sts teams play 3rds teams is a bit out of order, I do love how people live and die by the grammar 1sts results when they aren't really 1's. They should at least be in the seconds comp
I don think anyone's living or dying by grammar 1st results.
Not for 50 years or so, anyway.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
That was in fact the no.8 scoring the third try. I can't stand it either, at any level..

Another aspect of the View vs Scots game that we could do without is the deliberate slowing down of play when a penalty is awarded against you.
View were particularly guilty of this running backwards still holding the ball and then throwing it down to bounce away from the Scots playing trying desperately to retrieve it.
Slowing down play this way is an unwelcome element of professionalism creeping into schoolboy rugby.
The referee on Saturday chose to ignore it every time.
I would rather he marches the offending team a further 10 metres early in the game to stamp it out.
It kills running rugby and the style of game we should be encouraging.

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Things like hanging on to the ball and throwing it down so that it rolls further away annoys me as well particulary as a excited spectator but you would not have noticed being a Scots supporter I suppose that Scots were doing it too particularly their no 9 who was actually often running away up to 10ms with the ball and then dropping it at the last minute and was getting chased and shoved in his back for his trouble!It would have been funny if it wasn't so serious to at least one of the sides. This little rabbit running away with the ball.Does any body know-is it illegal?
Its been going on for ages I know that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.