• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry, forgot About Kyle brown-completely correct with that selection their. And also, was this forum not for speculation? - I myself am not a parent of any of the players mentioned, but of an old boy of the school and still am an avid GPS rugby supporter

Couldn't agree more @Dollard.....speculate to your hearts content would be my view.... ;)

As this thread is all about the upcoming 2016 season predictions, speculations and any other form of prognostication......in fact all of the aforementioned are welcomed and encouraged...

The mods will steer you straight if you veer off the path.:cool:

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
Possible Newington First XV
1: Isi - 2nds (played a few games in 1sts I know for a fact that the coach staff think highly of him, great ball running and adds some much needed size to the Newington pack, may struggle in scrums but a big preseason should see him get used to playing prop)

2: Adam Goodman - 2nds (had a great season in 2nds, fiery player with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, good line out thrower, but needs to put on size)

3: Opeti Helu - 1sts (the big wrecking ball had a great season making NSW 2nds, great ball runner and defender in the close quarters, scrummaging needs a slight improvement but overall is pretty solid)

4: Wilson Kearns - 3rds/2nds (plays with a huge amount of fire in the belly, none stop work horse, tall and good in the lineout, everything you need from a 2nd rower - much like this years #4 Mannix)

5: Louis Gray - 2nds (much like Kearns but has better refined skills and awareness of the game, needs to put on some size like Kearns, is also a weapon in the lineout)

6: Tom Serhon - 1sts (not a big kid but plays above his weight, runs good lines and solid in defence, his leadership and experience will be needed greatly)

7: Simon Poidevin - 2nds (plays the traditional 7 position and I love him, hard on the ball all day and will always bag a few pilfers each game, defence is ok but overall he is an ideal 7 for newington)

8: Nathan Lawson - 1sts (my tip for Aussie schoolboys, great runner of the ball always making line breaks, solid defence and a very reliable player in the breakdown)

9: Issac Lewis - 2nds, although I hear the 16As halfback is quite talented but dont know much on him

10: Baily Kuenzel - 1sts (commanding five-eight, led his troops very well this season, his defence is very underestimated, also had a few very important pilfers this season, is all round a great player and should be playing GPS 1s and maybe NSW 1s)

11: Sam Gilfedder - 2nds (extremely fit and athletic, great kick on him, solid running and defence, may need to wear headgear after his famous knockout @joeys im sure his mum and Lundie will want this)

12: Tyrone - 1sts (sledge-hammer inside centre role, much like Tepia in 2013, solid defence and will no doubt put fear into opposition teams)

13: Hamish Duvall - 2nds (great speed and his unders ball scored him many tries this season, defence is solid but is known to go a little high often resulting in a penalty, all round very solid player and i see him playing some high level reps)

14: Adam Miller - 2nds (solid player with ability to beat defenders, solid boot on him and good in defence)

15: Bailey Simmonsen - 1sts (absolute DYNAMITE, amazing agility and his ability is beat numerous defenders is scary, kicking game is very good and his defence is uncanny, should play aussie schoolboys depending on weather he does the league pathway or union pathway - much like Murray this year)

Summary: dont know much on the 16s but i know that they are a very average team, hence this team being all year 12s. I think this team can cause a lot of suprises much like this years Newington team. They have more than enough experience and talent to win. Brad Gill will be excited to get in 5th Premiership.
Tip: 1st/possibly Tied 1st

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Couldn't agree more @Dollard...speculate to your hearts content would be my view.. ;)

As this thread is all about the upcoming 2016 season predictions, speculations and any other form of prognostication..in fact all of the aforementioned are welcomed and encouraged.

The mods will steer you straight if you veer off the path.:cool:

I predict with an almost fearless level of certainty that with "Watty Friend" they have in Azzuri, so unabashedly in their corner, that all things Kings Rugby 2016 will be and remain front and centre on all forms of GAGR media for the duration. "Watty Friend" indeed! It'll be Brilliant Az! Can't wait ;)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I predict with an almost fearless level of certainty that with "Watty Friend" they have in Azzuri, so unabashedly in their corner, that all things Kings Rugby 2016 will be and remain front and centre on all forms of GAGR media for the duration. "Watty Friend" indeed! It'll be Brilliant Az! Can't wait ;)

@ CJ I'm hopeful that as a Kings Old Boy Walter "Watty" Friend has had a word in St Peters shell like ear for a Sky Blue and White 2016 :cool:

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
1: Isi - 2nds (played a few games in 1sts I know for a fact that the coach staff think highly of him, great ball running and adds some much needed size to the Newington pack, may struggle in scrums but a big preseason should see him get used to playing prop)

2: Adam Goodman - 2nds (had a great season in 2nds, fiery player with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, good line out thrower, but needs to put on size)

3: Opeti Helu - 1sts (the big wrecking ball had a great season making NSW 2nds, great ball runner and defender in the close quarters, scrummaging needs a slight improvement but overall is pretty solid)

4: Wilson Kearns - 3rds/2nds (plays with a huge amount of fire in the belly, none stop work horse, tall and good in the lineout, everything you need from a 2nd rower - much like this years #4 Mannix)

5: Louis Gray - 2nds (much like Kearns but has better refined skills and awareness of the game, needs to put on some size like Kearns, is also a weapon in the lineout)

6: Tom Serhon - 1sts (not a big kid but plays above his weight, runs good lines and solid in defence, his leadership and experience will be needed greatly)

7: Simon Poidevin - 2nds (plays the traditional 7 position and I love him, hard on the ball all day and will always bag a few pilfers each game, defence is ok but overall he is an ideal 7 for newington)

8: Nathan Lawson - 1sts (my tip for Aussie schoolboys, great runner of the ball always making line breaks, solid defence and a very reliable player in the breakdown)

9: Issac Lewis - 2nds, although I hear the 16As halfback is quite talented but dont know much on him

10: Baily Kuenzel - 1sts (commanding five-eight, led his troops very well this season, his defence is very underestimated, also had a few very important pilfers this season, is all round a great player and should be playing GPS 1s and maybe NSW 1s)

11: Sam Gilfedder - 2nds (extremely fit and athletic, great kick on him, solid running and defence, may need to wear headgear after his famous knockout @joeys im sure his mum and Lundie will want this)

12: Tyrone - 1sts (sledge-hammer inside centre role, much like Tepia in 2013, solid defence and will no doubt put fear into opposition teams)

13: Hamish Duvall - 2nds (great speed and his unders ball scored him many tries this season, defence is solid but is known to go a little high often resulting in a penalty, all round very solid player and i see him playing some high level reps)

14: Adam Miller - 2nds (solid player with ability to beat defenders, solid boot on him and good in defence)

15: Bailey Simmonsen - 1sts (absolute DYNAMITE, amazing agility and his ability is beat numerous defenders is scary, kicking game is very good and his defence is uncanny, should play aussie schoolboys depending on weather he does the league pathway or union pathway - much like Murray this year)

Summary: dont know much on the 16s but i know that they are a very average team, hence this team being all year 12s. I think this team can cause a lot of suprises much like this years Newington team. They have more than enough experience and talent to win. Brad Gill will be excited to get in 5th Premiership.

I agree with almost all of this, apart from the selection of Helu at tight-head, where he was found wanting for much of this season, and Taukamo in the centres and Gilfedder on the wing - I'd swap those two around, because I think the more agile Gilfedder is a better option in the mid-field, with Taukamo being potentially one of the best wingers GPS rugby has seen.

My most strident disagreement would be with the selection of Helu - he wasn't a prop at the start of the season, and his first effort against Riverview was embarrassing (not to mention dangerous for the rest of the front row). His scrummaging improved marginally throughout the season, but largely because of the intensive input from scrum coaches, and the advantage of having two of the biggest locks in the competition behind him. His ball-running was impressive at times, but his fitness and mobility were a problem throughout the year, particularly in the 2nd half of each match, and apart from the occasional big hit, I thought his defence was ordinary - he probably missed more tackles than the rest of the forward pack put together. Sadly, his selection in the rep teams was not only unwarranted, having played only the one trial match in 1sts prior to selection, but ended ignominiously with a red card after going on as a replacement late in the last game. From memory, he was the most penalised player in the Newington team, and received a couple of yellow cards during the season.

Cameron Horne would be a far better option (although I'd have him at loose-head, and Isi at tight-head) - he's very fit, mobile and strong, and his work-rate and work ethic are second to none. Defensively, he was very sound, and his mobility and fitness give him the capacity to cover an enormous amount of territory. He played like a back-rower at the breakdown, but also scrummaged very effectively at both loose-head and hooker. This kid is a genuine talent, and shouldn't be overlooked for someone simply on the basis of size.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After witnessing what was arguably one of the closest GPS competitions in history I feel obliged to finally get amongst this wonderful banter. Bring on 2016!!!!

There was a 3 way tie in 2006 (Shore, Joeys, View), 1998 (Kings, Shore, Joeys), 1978 (Scots, Joeys, Kings), 1924 (Joeys, Grammar, Kings) and 14 other occasions where the title has been shared.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I posted this in the 2015 thread but it may be of interest to readers who come across it next year:

There is a blog on the 2015 GPS special awards here:

The main 2015 GPS review by Rich_E was posted this morning here:

Give the links a click.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

So the 2016 New 1st XV may have the sons of one former All Black (Simonnson) and two former Wallabies (Kearns and Poidevin) in their line up. Impressive pedigree.

Knowledge

Bob McCowan (2)
More likely Scots 1st XV 2016-
1 Harry Todd (1sts)
2 Charlie Jeavons-Fellows (2nds)
3 George Finlayson (2nds)
4 Charlie Crawford (1sts)
5 Sam Ridley (2nds)
6 Hugh Green (2nds)
7 Ed Pegler/Ollie Rich (2nds/2nds)
8 George Miller (1sts)
9 Archie Gavin (C) (2nds)
10 Nic Shannon (1sts)
11 Tom Cattana/Julian Boscoe (2nds/3rds)
12 James McCarthy (2nds)
13 Billy Smith (16As)
14 Angus Chadwick (2nds)
15 Matthew Hammond (2nds)

Will finish Top 3. Solid forwards line up with standout performers in Todd, Crawford, Green and Miller. Finlayson and Ridley are both tall timbers in the lineout and Jeavons Fellows is more than an able replacement for Dylan Woods.
Need a big strong no 9 and Gavin fits the bill perfectly with Shannon being agile and deceptive at 10 and can kick in all circumstances. McCarthy playing inside Smith will offer some strength to allow Smith to do his thing and great finisher with exceptional speed in Chadwick at 14 and Cattana at 11. Hammond is one of the best junior defenders I have ever seen and has speed and can break the line. All round a solid line up who will be refined under Brian Smiths coaching.

Bangers

Frank Row (1)
With the news of the GPS athletics season being pushed back, it will be great to see GPS rugby sides assert some much needed dominance over the other associations in pre season trial games. For too long have we sat back and attempted to explain that our best athletes are MIA

RoyRanley

Bob McCowan (2)

What happened to Max Mckay and Cameron Horne Mr deez ebloa nut?

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
What happened to Max Mckay and Cameron Horne Mr deez ebloa nut?

Very good point - I've already made a comment about Cameron Horne vs Opeti Helu in the front-row - my theory being that excellent technical skill, great strength, very high work-rate, great work ethic, and versatility should (and I stress the word 'should' here) trump bulk every time - unfortunately that wasn't the case this year, so I'm not sure I can expect things to change next year.

I think similarly about Max McKay - his contribution to the New 2nd XV was extremely important, and if not for his periodic absences due to injury he'd have vied for the best player award. Poidevin played well, but doesn't have anywhere nearly the same impact as McKay. Don't get me wrong - I see Poidevin developing into a very good flanker / #8 in time, but McKay has what it takes now to make it in the top grade, and if Campbell Clifford hadn't locked up the open-side flanker position this year, McKay would have been the next best option.

RoyRanley

Bob McCowan (2)
Very good point - I've already made a comment about Cameron Horne vs Opeti Helu in the front-row - my theory being that excellent technical skill, great strength, very high work-rate, great work ethic, and versatility should (and I stress the word 'should' here) trump bulk every time - unfortunately that wasn't the case this year, so I'm not sure I can expect things to change next year.

I think similarly about Max McKay - his contribution to the New 2nd XV was extremely important, and if not for his periodic absences due to injury he'd have vied for the best player award. Poidevin played well, but doesn't have anywhere nearly the same impact as McKay. Don't get me wrong - I see Poidevin developing into a very good flanker / #8 in time, but McKay has what it takes now to make it in the top grade, and if Campbell Clifford hadn't locked up the open-side flanker position this year, McKay would have been the next best option.

Max McKay and Christian Poidoeven could also play 2nd Row

Status
Not open for further replies.