• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Max McKay and Christian Poidoeven could also play 2nd Row

Poidevin probably has the height to play lock, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to waste McKay's scavenging/roaming ability by bogging him down in the tight five.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes... great with Athletics being pushed back ..

I really hope Joeys face off against St Augustines .. as I think that is one school that could maybe win 30-50% of games

I guess time will tell

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
Very good point - I've already made a comment about Cameron Horne vs Opeti Helu in the front-row - my theory being that excellent technical skill, great strength, very high work-rate, great work ethic, and versatility should (and I stress the word 'should' here) trump bulk every time - unfortunately that wasn't the case this year, so I'm not sure I can expect things to change next year.

I think similarly about Max McKay - his contribution to the New 2nd XV was extremely important, and if not for his periodic absences due to injury he'd have vied for the best player award. Poidevin played well, but doesn't have anywhere nearly the same impact as McKay. Don't get me wrong - I see Poidevin developing into a very good flanker / #8 in time, but McKay has what it takes now to make it in the top grade, and if Campbell Clifford hadn't locked up the open-side flanker position this year, McKay would have been the next best option.

i disagree, if the coaching staff rated Horne over Opeti than he would of played 1s over him, likewise with Poidevin who came off the bench a few times they obviously rate him over Mackay

RoyRanley

Bob McCowan (2)
Louis Gray is one the better line-out i have seen, with him, poidevin and serhon jumping, Newington will have one the better line-outs in the competition. Gray will be a force next year and very damaging just needs a little more meat on his bones. Going to be a close competition next year

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
i disagree, if the coaching staff rated Horne over Opeti than he would of played 1s over him, likewise with Poidevin who came off the bench a few times they obviously rate him over Mackay

I'm not saying that they'll select Horne in 1sts next year - only suggesting they should! But to be clear, Horne is a loose-head prop who has played in the position for some time and is very good at it. Helu was parachuted into the tight-head position over Wilson, who played the first 3 trial games, and who many observers at the school believed to be the best scrummager the school had. For reasons known only to the coaching staff they chose a bloke who was new to the school and who'd never played prop before this season over a guy who'd been at the school for 6 years and who'd played prop all his life, and had clearly bested any loose-head he'd come up against - including Toowoomba Grammar's Aus schoolboy rep, Hoopert, and the Kings Aus schoolboy rep, Chapman.
As I said in an earlier post, I worry that some coaches seem to favour bulk over skill, discipline and commitment, and sadly this sends the wrong message to everyone.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
had clearly bested any loose-head he'd come up against - including Toowoomba Grammar's Aus schoolboy rep, Hoopert, and the Kings Aus schoolboy rep, Chapman.

Chapman is a tight head not a loose head .... And he's had the measure of every loose head that's been unfortunate enough to play against him this season.

Strangely that would seem to be why he was picked for Aussie School boys.

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not saying that they'll select Horne in 1sts next year - only suggesting they should! But to be clear, Horne is a loose-head prop who has played in the position for some time and is very good at it. Helu was parachuted into the tight-head position over Wilson, who played the first 3 trial games, and who many observers at the school believed to be the best scrummager the school had. For reasons known only to the coaching staff they chose a bloke who was new to the school and who'd never played prop before this season over a guy who'd been at the school for 6 years and who'd played prop all his life, and had clearly bested any loose-head he'd come up against - including Toowoomba Grammar's Aus schoolboy rep, Hoopert, and the Kings Aus schoolboy rep, Chapman.
As I said in an earlier post, I worry that some coaches seem to favour bulk over skill, discipline and commitment, and sadly this sends the wrong message to everyone.

I certainly agree that Wilson is one of or even the best scrumager in the school, I guess the coaches prefer a wrecking ball who they can develop throughout the season

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Chapman is a tight head not a loose head .. And he's had the measure of every loose head that's been unfortunate enough to play against him this season.

Strangely that would seem to be why he was picked for Aussie School boys.
My mistake - I forgot that Wilson played loose head against Kings as a replacement for Jacob Storey, and even though he was binding illegally on his hooker's shorts (check the video) Chapman clearly struggled in every scrum of the match.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
I certainly agree that Wilson is one of or even the best scrumager in the school, I guess the coaches prefer a wrecking ball who they can develop throughout the season

I think it would be fair to describe Teu Atiola as a wrecking ball, given his non-stop 70 min performances week in and week out which included countless big hits and more metres in attack than almost every other forward - Helu could be, but wasn't fit enough and didn't have an impact beyond the occasional run and the odd tackle. Jacob Storey was the better of the two props in 1sts, with a big motor that allowed him to go hard all day in both attack and defence.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anybody know if Noonan the view 9 will be back? Fabulous young half who probably would of made rep teams if he was a known quantity at start of season.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Does anybody know if Noonan the view 9 will be back? Fabulous young half who probably would of made rep teams if he was a known quantity at start of season.

see posts 2657,8 and 9 of the 2015 AAGPS Thread

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks mate. Hope he sticks with it and has been noticed by some coaches in club land because hes a talent

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm feeling a Riverview premiership for 2016, they've got a lot of talented boys returning for their second year in firsts and they've proven they don't need McGregor to be competitive. Thoughts?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm feeling a Riverview premiership for 2016, they've got a lot of talented boys returning for their second year in firsts and they've proven they don't need McGregor to be competitive. Thoughts?

Sorry to rain on your parade @Cash but 2016 is Kings year....:cool:

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Possible Newington First XV

11: Sam Gilfedder - 2nds (extremely fit and athletic, great kick on him, solid running and defence, may need to wear headgear after his famous knockout @joeys im sure his mum and Lundie will want this)

12: Tyrone - 1sts (sledge-hammer inside centre role, much like Tepia in 2013, solid defence and will no doubt put fear into opposition teams)

13: Hamish Duvall - 2nds (great speed and his unders ball scored him many tries this season, defence is solid but is known to go a little high often resulting in a penalty, all round very solid player and i see him playing some high level reps)]
I'd like to see Tyrone Taukomo get the ball at outside centre. Either Simmonsen at IC, or Duvall [hopefully he won't buy another dummy like the one Noonan sold him in r10 to score]. Gilfedder would have needed a motorcycle helmet to avoid that knockout.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
I'm only sad that I won't be watching any of the GPS games next year - we'll be off to Colts next year, but looking forward to seeing some of the current players from other schools there as well.
Keep watching the thread, hope to get you some highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.