• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
While discussion of GPS d.

Based on incumbents

1.Helu(N)
2.Crotti (J) / Lombardi (K)
3.Atiola (N)
4 Brown (K)
5 Fenn (R)
6 Serhon(N)
7 Lawson (N) /Miller (S)
8 Pietsch (K)
9 Haskins( Sh) / Brown (K)
10 Kuenzle (N) / Angus-Corke(J)
11 Barnes (J)
12 Taukoma (N)
13 Wilkinson (J)
14 Terry(R) / Osbourne (K)
15 Simonsson(N)

Undoubtedly there will be boys who develop and push for these positions, who played thirds and fourths GPS this year and those who were injured for selections but this will form the basis of the GPS firsts 2016.
On another note Newington look strong again next year.

OJ, great that you've taken the time to pull together the details of all the lads who've consistently been working hard to get selected into rep teams of all persuasions over the last couple of years.

Your predictions appear quite balanced and I would also include Harry Todd to round out the predictions of possible 1-3.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pathways presents lots of time for training with limited study, I understand there are a few in ISA in the same boat... good luck to the lads for a succesful year. One name I would like to throw into the mix is Jacob Styles from Scots, certainly a name for the future and the starting 10 in the Presidents 16s side this year.

RemyBoiz_FettyWap

Frank Row (1)
My Prediction for the Scots XV

1. Ripley Atkinson (16A/B's) Good in the scrum and always keen to get amongst it with the boys

2. Charlie Jeavons Fellows (2nds) Monster in the ruck, would often come away with the pilfer, accurate in the lineouts as well

3. Mitch Smith (16A's) Big unit that flat out loves the game, defensive mind set separates him from the rest

4. Samuel Ridley (2nds/3rds) His uncle is Sam Carter, enough said

5. Charlie Crawford (1st) Excellent in the lineouts and running game, should see a more responsible roll in the 2016 GPS season

6. George Miller (1st) Not the brightest of the pack, but that doesnt matter as all he needs to do is punch the ball up the middle and make big hits (which he does well)

7. Tim Leith-head (Soccer Convert) Athletic ability and strength is lacking, but that doesnt stop this big boy from giving it a go

8. Hugh Green (1st/2nds) Made a few appearances last year for 1st grade, always goes hard and puts his body on the line

9. Benjamin Miller (3rds) A good looking lad that will be able to fill the gap that our lord and saviour Theo Strang left both aesthetically and in skillset

10. Nic Shannon (1st) Excellent passer and ball runner. Able to make plays when in the open field and when set pieces break down. Nice hair too

Now rumour has it that coach Brian Smith has been shopping around for the tallest back three in the GPS, and has lead to speculations that some Basketballers will be implemented into the squad. With that in mind...

11. Barney Pinkerton (3rds) Basketballer, 6'4 and 95kgs and runs the 100m in 11.5, reminiscent of Max Hendrie from the 2013 GPS Scots side. Has rugby blood in his veins as well.

12. Hugh Beith (3rds/4ths) A dedicated kid from the town of Bungendore, whos been able to put on weight in the offseason. Uses his bag of tricks such as his lethal pace to beat defenders

13. Jimmy McCarthy (2nds/3rds) Off field incidents saw him move around from the 2s and 3s, but after converting to Christianity over the last few months Jimmy is really looking good for this coming season

14. Jock McGregor (3rds/4ths) Basketballer, 6'5 but not as big as Pinkerton, however holds better ball skills and kicking ability. Should look to put on weight in basketball offseason as his current frame could get him killed

15. Will Scott (4ths) 6'7 but similar to McGregor, lacks weight. Ex AFL player so has the ability to kick at all times. Good bloke as well, which should see him far into the GPS season

This squad should be able to take it all the way this year

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pathways presents lots of time for training with limited study, I understand there are a few in ISA in the same boat. good luck to the lads for a succesful year. One name I would like to throw into the mix is Jacob Styles from Scots, certainly a name for the future and the starting 10 in the Presidents 16s side this year.

Brother of Callum Styles?

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Amazing, best side in years. Better than 2006

Better than the Shore side that beat the strongest Joeys 1st XV of the millennium?

But let's hope you're at least a little bit right, for the sake of competition. The 2016 GPS season is looking to be far tighter than this year's.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
My prediction for the GPS first XV next year:

1. Luke Edwards (Shore)
2. Harry Todd (Scots)
3. Opeti Helu (Newington)
4. Nick Brown (Kings)
5. Michael Fenn (Riverview)
6. Tom Serhon (Newington)
7. Dylan Pietsch (Kings)
8. Nathan Lawson (Newington)
9. Will Haskins (Shore)
10. Bayley Kuenzle (Newington)
11. Tyrone Taukamo (Newington)
12. Alec Sheldon (Grammar)/ Jake Pirina (Riverview)- two completely different players that each have their own individual merits.
13. Will Terry (Riverview)
14. Yribbi Jaffer-Williams (Joeys)
15. Bailey Simonsson (Newington)

Coach: Brian Smith (Scots)/David Knox (High)

Back row is pretty hotly contested. Players like Miller (Scots), Skelly (Kings) and Rorke (Riverview) unlucky to miss out. Kattafano (??Spelling) impressed me and was a part of the state schools 2nd XV this year.

I like Sheldon as a player but there may be a bit of concern over his physicality (particularly after almost exclusively playing against 3rd Grade competition for almost 4 years now). With that said, he is arguably the most skilful player in the GPS and may find no trouble working around his weaknesses.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Back row is pretty hotly contested. Players like Miller (Scots), Skelly (Kings) and Rorke (Riverview) unlucky to miss out. Kattafano (??Spelling) impressed me and was a part of the state schools 2nd XV this year.

I like Sheldon as a player but there may be a bit of concern over his physicality (particularly after almost exclusively playing against 3rd Grade competition for almost 4 years now). With that said, he is arguably the most skilful player in the GPS and may find no trouble working around his weaknesses.
Jacob Katafono. Terrific player, but he sometimes behaves like a six year old on the field. Also, I'd imagine High would pursue the CHS route as they did this year (with Sam Musgrove), especially since Katafono runs the risk of playing GPS white (or not making GPS at all) given the competition in the back row.

Sheldon made and shone in GPS blue in Year 10, so they'd have to fit him in somewhere in the squad. I personally wouldn't take Kuenzle, put Sheldon at 10, which opens up 12 for Pirina or Wilkinson.

I'd also put Barnes (NSW I) over Yirribi Jaffer Williams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Winter sport is optional at SGS for Y12. Question could also be will he play or concentrate on his education?

His name has already been written on enough Clipboards to see him being "wanted" in Colts development programmes.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Winter sport is optional at SGS for Y12. Question could also be will he play or concentrate on his education?

His name has already been written on enough Clipboards to see him being "wanted" in Colts development programmes.

A couple of his teammates who were in the 2014 1st XV for Grammar didn't return in 2015, but I doubt Sheldon will follow in their footsteps. The year coming through is very close, and probably Grammar's best in a while (certainly in their time in the 3rd competition). He's done athletics voluntarily for 5 years, and to the best of my knowledge he's playing cricket this season (which is also optional for year 12s), so I'd imagine there's no real reason for him to stop playing rugby.

Ironically, the boys at Grammar who continue sport in year 12 tend to do better in their studies. The dux and vice-dux(?) this year both played rugby, with the former playing in the 1st XV.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Obviously Grammar has a fairly decent rugby program and seems to develop their players well under Lachlan Fear, but the question arises:

Was Alec Sheldon's development hindered by attending a non-rugby school like Grammar?

Could he have developed into a superstar-like player (to the likes of Andrew Kellaway and Andrew Deegan) if he went to a school like Scots or Newington?

This is not meant to discredit the young man or Sydney Grammar School. It is clear to everyone that Sheldon has all the natural talent in the world and has worked extremely hard to get where he is today- but I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks about whether he could have become an even greater player had he the resources that other GPS schools are privileged with.
Perhaps his parent's think that the quality of the education is the most important factor. Or perhaps there is some tie to the school. Or perhaps he has mates there and really likes that school.

If he is good enough and he wants to, he will continue to play representative and high level rugby.

Don't know why anyone would think you can only succeed if you go to Scots or Newington.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Perhaps his parent's think that the quality of the education is the most important factor. Or perhaps there is some tie to the school. Or perhaps he has mates there and really likes that school.

Parents typically don't send scrawny, twelve-year-old boys to schools purely because they have a strong rugby reputation, except for maybe the rare Joeys parent who genuinely believes the program at Hunter's Hill could turn their kid into a Wallaby.

The child's happiness (i.e. how many friends he knows, how familiar the parents are with the environment there) and most importantly THE CHILD'S LEARNING would come first.

After all, we go to school to learn, not to play rugby.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
You do beautiful work @LG

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/rubgy-world-cup-not-set-pieces-part-v/ ....

and Matt Rowley's analysis of the Wallabies and Scottish scrums had this old prop quietly weeping tears of joy at its poetic beauty and biomechanical majesty. Matt has clearly been reading through Topo's "Art of Scrummaging....and frankly it's about time that the premier set piece of the game of Rugby had its time in the spotlight.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/scrum-analysis-wallabies-vs-scotland/

Status
Not open for further replies.