• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Winter sport is optional at SGS for Y12. Question could also be will he play or concentrate on his education?

His name has already been written on enough Clipboards to see him being "wanted" in Colts development programmes.

He was running around with Easts pre season last year!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Matt Rowley's analysis of the Wallabies and Scottish scrums had this old prop quietly weeping tears of joy at its poetic beauty. Matt has clearly been reading through Topo's "Art of Scrummaging..and frankly it's about time that the premier set piece of the game of Rugby had its time in the spotlight.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/scrum-analysis-wallabies-vs-scotland/

I couldn't agree more Azuri. The above lifts the lid on what is going on and why things happen and why commentators who are backs shouldn't comment on scrums!

More needs to be done in teaching players about the scrum. It sticks out like d---s balls those players who have been taught and those that haven't.

Super Rugby franchises should be investing in a "Hogwarts academy" to teach the "dark arts" if they are serious about developing the game beyond catch pass tackle. Would love to see it as part of the JGC curriculum??? How about a weekend clinic for all for forwards facilitated at Moore Park eh Waratahs?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Under 19 Law Variations which mandate that the bulldozers have to be nice to each other prevents the handing down of the dark arts to School age, Village Clubs and JCG.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Under 19 Law Variations reward coaches who select 8 Poopers in their scrum. The lumbering oxen, giraffes and pot plants are generally relegated to the Age Grade B's or below in the vainglorious quest for premierships on the back of having 8 Poopers (3 of whom can lean on the 3 of the others from time to time - remember they are also selecting 8 Poopers) that are fit, fast and can do all the pretty stuff.

Oh and BTW plenty of International and Super Rugby Props were not playing Prop for Junior Village club or School. So they would not benefit from any technical scrum schooling in teenage years.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think someone forgot to tell the NZ RU about this!!!

Did you see what the NZ schoolboys scrum did to the Aussies? Last 2 years record losses for the Australians. Wonder what changed....

But there is a glimmer of hope. (From the Junior Gold Cup thread.)

1. The NSW TracTahs program is growing as it was meant to since its foundation. Every year there is a new induction of kids aged U12. In its second year the program now has 2 age groups and over 60 tight 5 forwards being coached in set piece over 3 camps per year.
    The program had recently inducted 6 new coaches to the program through advertising amongst level 2 and 3 coaches in NSW.

The ARU has since followed suite and introduced a National T5 program. This will aim at ID of players aged 16-18 and increasing the set piece coaching they receive at a state and national level. This all begins with a coaching seminar starting next month. The state programs will be lead by Super Rugby forwards coaches, the National looks to lead by Mario Ledezma and co. KEEP YOUR EAR TO THE GROUND, EXCITING TIMES AHEAD.

I believe the biggest problem is the lack of knowledge around scrummaging our community coaches have to deliver it. Nsw started offering scrum schools as education last school term, these will be more and more next year onward.

I believe in NSW we are quite fortunate compared to the state of scrum and lineout education nationally.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think I posted the original version of this in the wrong thread......

Unfortunately, it seems that many of the GPS schools favour 'running' props over 'scrummaging' props, and I wonder how much this approach has contributed to the problem. The emphasis at Colts and Grade seems to swing back to scrummaging as the priority and running as a secondary skill, but is it too late for a lot of these young blokes?
When I asked earlier in the year about the selection of a so-called running prop over a powerful (and technically correct) scrummager, I was told that the limit on pushing beyond 1.5m in the U/19 laws means that scrum dominance in schoolboy rugby isn't important anymore. Sadly, though, the performance of the Aus schoolboy forwards against the power scrummagers from NZ showed that this is clearly not the case.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
Many (most?) of our pro props were backrowers at school

The trend these days seems to be converting backrowers (particularly openside flankers) into the hooker position citing the reason that: "hookers don't need to push in the scrum anyway".

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The trend these days seems to be converting backrowers (particularly openside flankers) into the hooker position citing the reason that: "hookers don't need to push in the scrum anyway".

In the post RWC afterglow I reckon there will be a few decision makers who may like to rethink that view!

How much better does a team go with a strong set piece!

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cam Murray made the Aus. Schoolboys League team for those who didn't know, but to the best of my knowledge he's not doing pathways despite being of eligible age.

Will Cooper

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey guys, its been a while since ive posted but being a shore parent i thought id give it a go at predicting their side. Dont judge pls :)

Shore 1st XV 2016:

1. Luke Edwards
2. Ed Collard
3. Ben Furby
4. Nick Preece
5. Rory Suttor
6. Tom Abbott
7. Charlie Joyce
8. Robin Allan
9. Will Haskins
10. Harry Wallace
11. Eddie Gregory
12. Harry Rees
13. Dan Martin
14. Tom Simon
15. Luke Rixon

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hey guys, its been a while since ive posted but being a shore parent i thought id give it a go at predicting their side. Dont judge pls :)

Shore 1st XV 2016:

1. Luke Edwards
2. Ed Collard
3. Ben Furby
4. Nick Preece
5. Rory Suttor
6. Tom Abbott
7. Charlie Joyce
8. Robin Allan
9. Will Haskins
10. Harry Wallace
11. Eddie Gregory
12. Harry Rees
13. Dan Martin
14. Tom Simon
15. Luke Rixon

A couple of likely additions
Nick Preece has left the school - Max Burrows (16A's) will be in the mix
Harry Rees is moving to the backrow
Max Sinclair was incumbent No.12 from 2015 1sts
Hamish Sheahan and Fynn Baveystock both spent time in the 1sts last season and will be in the mix for outside backs.
Dom Headley (U16A's) also in mix in centres

Will Cooper

Bob McCowan (2)
A couple of likely additions
Nick Preece has left the school - Max Burrows (16A's) will be in the mix
Harry Rees is moving to the backrow
Max Sinclair was incumbent No.12 from 2015 1sts
Hamish Sheahan and Fynn Baveystock both spent time in the 1sts last season and will be in the mix for outside backs.
Dom Headley (U16A's) also in mix in centres

Ahh yeah i was struggling to name some outside backs. Great news to hear Harry Rees moving to the back row being big, mobile and have some pace under his belt. 2016 is looking to be one of shores better seasons. They've gotta start pre season soon though!!

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AAGPS-2016-Fixtures-for-web-16nov2015.pdf

The fixtures only list GPS 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV Representative teams.

Is this a sign that the GPS Blue and White experiment has been scrapped?

In my opinion, it was a bit ridiculous to name 4 sides in the first place (plus an extra full team of reserves). A lot of the kids named in those sides didn't even end up maintaining their spots in their respective school's 1st XV teams.

Although I'm all for giving everyone a go, I think its best to have the best of the best representing GPS at the NSW Carnivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.