• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Only per New's Program published for last week's New v View game, @Nectar, New's locks were Christian Poidevin (4) and Louis Gray (5).

Goodman was listed as playing hooker in the 2's last weekend; not that you can always trust what those rascal publishers of Programs put out to the punters. :)

Newington must be light-on for locks if this is the case - Goodman was a very good hooker in last year's 2nd XV and played a lot like Hugh Roach in that extra flanker role. Unless he's grown significantly in the off-season it'd be hard to see him in the 2nd row.

BTW - New 2nds are coached by Steve Muir & Bob Meakin, as they were last year - they combined a good knowledge of the game, and the skill to get the best out of their players, and turned a mixed bag into a very strong side last season, so I hope they can continue the trend this year.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
UPDATED TIPPING Rd 2 Results

gps RD 2 Tipping 2016.jpg

gps RD 2.1 Tipping 2016.jpg

Knowledge

Bob McCowan (2)
I also have strong sources that have told me that the 15 for Scots Charlie Burnett has been dropped to the 2nds for this weekends game against Newington, possible replacements?? maybe Harry Moate quality young player

I hear Brian Smith has made more than one change to the losing Scots side vs Kings last week. Burnett (15) to 2nds replaced by Will Simpson, Cattana (14) to 2nds replaced by Yassmin. Only needs to sort out Miller (9) and Shannon (10) and the back line will further improve. I watched Campbell play at 9 in the Scots 4s at Kings last week, that is ludicrous, he is a class well above 4's'. He was terrific in the Scots sevens tournament and created the try in the second half win over View in the trial. Smith needs to get him into 2nds at the very least - DELETED - Be careful how you speak about players

Just going through the Kings vs Scots programme from last week can anybody advise whether Hammond and McCarthy are injured for Scots? I thought both would be pressing for 1sts selection after playing 2nds last year. Based on my watching of the game Scots were clearly lacking in their backline and Smith will need to monitor this if they are to challenge for the title.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Call me old at your peril BW, and it's not flirting, it's clash of the titans come Saturday- I will be leading the Joeys war cries while Manzurri is wimpering in the back of his ute
If you feel comfortable in yourself saying it's not flirting... Whatever, but Ol mate Azurri has booked himself in for a BS and C wax, just for you.

I have to stop reading this at lunchtime, it puts me off my sanga

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
AAGPS 1st XV ‘Players of the week’ – Round 2

Each week, three players from each of the six sides are awarded points in the blog match reviews. Below, I have listed all the point winners from Round 2, according to whether they played in the front row, second row etc. Beside each player, I have also noted how many times they have been nominated this season.

We are not trying to ‘construct’ a team. That’s a tough task, given 18 players are awarded points each week and often a few of them play in the same positions. Also, we are not trying to play the role of selector, nor are we trying to influence selections.

The purpose is to share who we (the review writers) collectively thought had a great match the previous weekend and provide a launching pad for further discussion.

We will leave it to you to select your own ‘Team of the Week’ if you want. And if you chose to share it here, we hope all others will respect that your opinions are your opinions.

Front row
Opeti Helu – Newington (2)
Charlie Jeavons-Fellows – Scots (2)
Luke Edwards – Shore (1)

Second row
Nick Brown - Kings (1)
Note: The third point for Kings was allocated to the 'piggies' (and the scrum in particular), which is difficult to incorporate into a format such as this. Having also been at the game, I made the decision to include Nick Brown, as a very worthy representative of a strong pack that was one of the key differences between the teams last Saturday.

Back row
Dylan Pietsch – Kings (2)
Hugh Green – Scots (2)
Michael Fenn – Riverview (2)
Nathan Lawson – Newington (2)
Charlie Crawford – Scots (1)
Joe Feltis – Joeys (1)
Charlie Joyce – Shore (1)

Halves
Will Haskins – Shore (1)
Tom Lenehan – Riverview (2)
Nick Wilkinson – Joeys (1)

Centres
Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams – Joeys (2)

Back three
Luke Osborne – Kings (2)
Oliver Smeallie – Riverview (1)
Bailey Simonsson – Newington (1)

R

Runpasstackle

Just a comment on the View vs New 1st Xv game. Riverview have got some big concerns espically in attack. All tries from broken play incl Joeys game. Think the 10 is more of a 15 as likes to play in the pocket and not at the line. 10 / 12 link is not working with very slow ball to outside strengths.

Defence was a concern when the 12 kept getting run over and coach had to change his role to defend on the wing!!

Think shore and kings may focus on this. May need changes positional or other. IMO

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
AAGPS 1st XV ‘Players of the week’ – Round 2

Each week, three players from each of the six sides are awarded points in the blog match reviews. Below, I have listed all the point winners from Round 2, according to whether they played in the front row, second row etc. Beside each player, I have also noted how many times they have been nominated this season.

We are not trying to ‘construct’ a team. That’s a tough task, given 18 players are awarded points each week and often a few of them play in the same positions. Also, we are not trying to play the role of selector, nor are we trying to influence selections.

The purpose is to share who we (the review writers) collectively thought had a great match the previous weekend and provide a launching pad for further discussion.

We will leave it to you to select your own ‘Team of the Week’ if you want. And if you chose to share it here, we hope all others will respect that your opinions are your opinions.

Front row
Opeti Helu – Newington (2)
Charlie Jeavons-Fellows – Scots (2)
Luke Edwards – Shore (1)

Second row
Nick Brown - Kings (1)

Back row
Dylan Pietsch – Kings (2)
Hugh Green – Scots (2)
Michael Fenn – Riverview (2)
Nathan Lawson – Newington (2)
Charlie Crawford – Scots (1)
Joe Feltis – Joeys (1)
Charlie Joyce – Shore (1)

Halves
Will Haskins – Shore (1)
Tom Lenehan – Riverview (2)
Nick Wilkinson – Joeys (1)

Centres
Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams – Joeys (2)

Back three
Luke Osborne – Kings (2)
Oliver Smeallie – Riverview (1)
Bailey Simonsson – Newington (1)

Haven't seen any of the games this year, beyond the odd snippet of video, but after watching the 11-odd minutes of the New vs View game, I'm surprised that the Newington TH (Helu) gets a spot in the TOTW. It's always hard to gauge from a highlights package but he seemed to struggle in the few scrums featured in the video, and had no obvious impact in either attack or defence (who awards the points??). From what I saw, Horne (the LH) had a stronger game in general, and gave the View TH a tough time at each set piece. Thought Lawson and Simonsson certainly deserved their mentions, and would consider Duvall unlucky - scored two strong tries, but didn't get much help from his inside men in defence against a pretty clever View backline.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Just a comment on the View vs New 1st Xv game. Riverview have got some big concerns espically in attack. All tries from broken play incl Joeys game. Think the 10 is more of a 15 as likes to play in the pocket and not at the line. 10 / 12 link is not working with very slow ball to outside strengths.

Defence was a concern when the 12 kept getting run over and coach had to change his role to defend on the wing!!

Think shore and kings may focus on this. May need changes positional or other. IMO

I missed the view v new game, but I have seen the Newington backline in other games. So I going to be kind the view backs, their Newington counterparts do have a capacity to score tries. Kings also leaked 5 tries against Newington. So I would say, rather than be harsh on the view backs be focusing on New's capacity to score tries through their backs.

I would regard both Kings and View as the overall form teams at the moment. So despite their inconsistency, New do have potential, its just they have played the two best teams and have been found wanting in Defence. However, their attack on its day is lethal. So I wonder if any other sides are going to pile on 5 tries against review. From I am reading and hearing maybe Kings and that is about it. At least in round one.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
You had one of the best results without the thirds

Long way to go, and you are at the right end of the table already

@NIS: never know.. It could quite be the difference in the end. I'm predicting (it seems I'm ok at this.. Touch wood) that the margin between 1st and 2nd, when it's all said and done, will be smaller than a Bee's genitalia

Besides, if I may quote Ricky Bobby.. "If you're not first, you're last"

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
For those that are interested, Shore AFL results

For some reason, I get some perverse satisfaction out of that result. Think AFL has a way to yet at GPS schools
afl.jpg

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
Newington must be light-on for locks if this is the case - Goodman was a very good hooker in last year's 2nd XV and played a lot like Hugh Roach in that extra flanker role. Unless he's grown significantly in the off-season it'd be hard to see him in the 2nd row.

BTW - New 2nds are coached by Steve Muir & Bob Meakin, as they were last year - they combined a good knowledge of the game, and the skill to get the best out of their players, and turned a mixed bag into a very strong side last season, so I hope they can continue the trend this year.

My mistake oldcolt. And yes tottaly agree with you on the quality of coaches those two men are. Goodluck to Goodman this week putting on the white jersey for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.