• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby U/16 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random3

Frank Row (1)
Joeys 28-0 over Shore. Didnt get to see it but apparently Joeys dominated the first half and were up 21-0 at the break before Shore held them out a bit in the second. Joeys half Matt Rodgers was sin binned for the second time this year for repeated hands in the ruck, although Josh Canturi may have to take the blame for that. Shore were missing both Clancys, Emery, Woodhill and Lucas to opens while Joeys had just O'Shea missing.
joeys i heard aren't playing for one another there more often an individual side?

K

kbw

A couple of things, I still think Warick you are overrating Newington 16As too much (and thats where my schoolboy rugby afiliation lies). That cohort has been neglected somewhat in development and they just are not good enough.

With Joeys and Oshea out, did the 16Bs 5/8 play in his place?

Random3

Frank Row (1)
Everyone knows that View is the powerhouse and yes they could be unstoppable when they reach the 1st XV, but they could also end up like the Kings team of 2010 who dominated all the way through the age groups and then lost to Joeys and Newington in year 12. They are missing many players to opens, Jack Bowditch will most likely make opens when he comes back, and while he is a very big boy he was struggle big time in opens when he size doesnt count and his limited skill set comes into play. Foster has been focusing on his AFL career as far as i know and Jack Hayson was lucky to make the GPS trials to be honest. Johnnie Walker was actually enrolled at Joeys, decided to wait untill year 10 to move to Sydney and after making NSW 15s side had scholarships offered to him by Augstines, View, Scots and Newington. So yes Walker could of ended up a View but was heading to Joeys first.

Personally i thought the GPS 16s selections were a bit of a joke, with boys in Gold Squad getting favoured over boys who werent. McCutcheon missing out on 1s and being forced to play 12 in the 2s was outrageous and Kovacs starting over Matt Rodgers another joke. Jono Burke from Kings was also very unlucky not to make 1s.

My predictions for this year
1 Joeys
2 Kings
3 Shore
4 Scots
5 View
6 Newington

You're right, by the time this reaches Year 12 things will even out and we are in for a great comp. Riverview will lose Molloy but gain Hutchinson and McGregor from the age group below. Shore may struggle without the Clancys but should still be very competitive, Joeys lose quite a few great players but they'll have plenty of talent from the age group below to 'fill the gaps'. Kings dont lose many and should keep the same team all the way through while Scots lose Tabumata but again a very strong age group below will assist them. Newington will most likely find a few Tongans and also have a very strong age group below.

Random controls Green and Gold.
RIVERVIEW DOESN'T IMPORT! NEVER GIVEN OUT A SCHOLARSHIP ONLY GIVE OUT BURSARIES TO KIDS LESS FORTUNATE ! get your facts rite about johnnie walker he wont be coming to riverview, if he does he'll be paying

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
You maybe right kbw there a team that have been on the wrong side scoreboard since the U/13s. As such most people expect another poor year with heavy defeats. However, I have seen a number of improvements and believe that this team can take two steps forward. Where they do so will be proven over the coming weeks, only time will tell. It is quite possibly that they will take three steps backwards. In which case no one will be surprised. As a New supporter I seek to be positive, but realistic that this team will lose more than win. Nevertheless any reduced/ closer losses will be a source of joy for this New supporter.

K

kbw

They do have a better side I think this year and I do hope they have improved and get to compete a bit more. I have def seen some improvements in the 16Bs as well

J

johndubbo47

From an outsiders perspective and having watched the St. Ignatius vs Newington game on the weekend, i feel that the backline from Riverview was exceptional and am completely agreeing with Warrick. Their defence was exceptional and both the quick wingers (the african one and the dutalis kid as referred to by random 3) were very sharp on attack especially when on the counter. The front row of Newington although big proved nowhere near as powerful as the Riverview team which has apparently been completely damaged by injury.

xoxo gossip johnny

randomhouse

Bob McCowan (2)
Grammar vs Newington 16As tomorrow, should be an excellent match. Grammars backline which has been a close knit unit this pre season has been re shuffled somewhat due to a horrific leg injury to their fullback in their dominant win over st aloyisious last weekend. They will use this loss of their inspirational #15 as a big motivator to go out and blow newington out of the water at their home ground.
Should be very interesting.
What are predictions for other games this weekend?

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
There have been some interesting comments about the strength of the Grammar 16As. I am wondering if we view their results and the opposition they played the Grammar website appears not to carry rugby results any more. I believe they have played:-
St.Patricks
St.PiusX
Oakhill
Sydney High
TAS
plus an undefeated tour of NZ

Of these games they only lost one match. Results that Grammar with just 2 teams in the 16s, should be proud of. However, By GPS standards only Oakhill and St.Patricks would come close to approaching the strength, skill, and pace of the opposition they are to face in the GPS round. Yes I can appreciate their optimism against Newington, but after round 1 they will slam into a brick wall that I fear will wear them down with injuries requiring a depth in player strength, that will be beyond what can be offered by having only a B side.
From round two their opposition will comprise schools with 6-7 teams hardened by matches played against other GPS schools. Grammar does not have the benefit of these matches and the rise in standard will require both physical and moral courage in order to adjust. In the spirit of sportsmenship I wish the Grammar boys well and certainty the GPS needs strong Grammar teams.

K

kbw

Grammar 16As won yesterday 22-0, but it was against the Newington 16Bs
Grammar were stronger than I expected especially through the forwards, centres and wingers were nothing to write home about, but then didn't have to do much as the forwards ran the show.
I will speculate they will struggle against "A" sides especially away, because apart from being penalised for it in the first 5 mins they were technically illegal at the break down for a lot of the game. Especially diving over and laying in the ruck.
The Newington "B" forwards were often uncharacteristically weak on the ball. The backs were more structured but made stupid mistakes, taking so many wrong options especially at fullback.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
An honest report rather from a New supporter, rather than a one eyed reporting that often features in the schoolboy section. Kbw, mate do you know the 16As result against TAS. Its great to see Grammar teams winning even if its Newington, but to you proud Grammar (after all you are the 3rd most successful rugby school after Joeys and Kings, with 14 GPS premierships, last in 1969) supporters you need to be aware and report that your 2nd XV also played down a team against Knox, if I am correct it was Knox's 3rds or 4ths. Nevertheless good wins and I hope Grammar boys enjoyed themselves.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
An honest report rather from a New supporter, rather than a one eyed reporting that often features in the schoolboy section. Kbw, mate do you know the 16As result against TAS. Its great to see Grammar teams winning even if its Newington, but to you proud Grammar (after all you are the 3rd most successful rugby school after Joeys and Kings, with 14 GPS premierships, last in 1969) supporters you need to be aware and report that your 2nd XV also played down a team against Knox, if I am correct it was Knox's 3rds or 4ths. Nevertheless good wins and I hope Grammar boys enjoyed themselves.

Surely that doesn't need to be reported in a thread entitled "U16"?

sir_richie

Frank Row (1)
Hearing rumours that joeys 16a and 16b will be playing against western raptors 16s and west harbour 16s next month.
Can anyone comfirm this?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hearing rumours that joeys 16a and 16b will be playing against western raptors 16s and west harbour 16s next month.
Can anyone comfirm this?

Wouldnt be surprised, last year Joeys 16s played a combined West Sydney team. Personally i think it'll be tough for anyone to beat both those Joeys teams.

Random3

Frank Row (1)
what a weekend of rugby, with the 16a's joeys riverview match a nail biter with the game very close all throughout the game, some players i thought who played well were max behan and the halfback matty rodgers the outside centre mcutchion went missing the whole game with the riverview inside and outside centress jack hayson and tom mcbryde giving him no room, the scoreline didnt reflect the game as riverview were all over joeys the whole game until the last 1 minute when joeys crossed 2 oh well i heard a view boy say, this riverview and joeys teams are the best teams ive seen in a long time, a very good try also to the riverview flyer will dutalis who got a 60 metre intercept try looked wonderful from where i was standing, i thought there could be a few changes in the joeys team maybe get the liam wilson from the b's in there he had an exceptional game very strong in defense and crossing twice in attack. thats this weekends rap up from random 3. aany other results? kings V shore?

J

johndubbo47

random 3, couldnt agree more mate, that dutailis flyer should be in the 2's at View as he showed oustanding pace and didnt miss a tackle all game, he even made big tackles in the fowards. Kovacs the View no. 9 played terribly, the worst game ive ever seen him have. Anyways, Dutalis for president!

xoxo gossip johnny

randomhouse

Bob McCowan (2)
So... Today was the day that grammar 16As were meant to meet their match after a superb pre season. The grammar boys against Ignatius 16As a blowout it would be they said. Today is the day that grammar 16As start getting taken seriously by the rest of the gps. Down 7-0 at half time grammar came out firing and scored a try which was converted to leave the scores locked up. Grammar scored again, and with the score at 12-7 Riverview scored on the bell, the conversion was missed and Riverview snuck away with a draw. So much for grammar being dominated by the A grade teams.... Looking forward to next weeks fixture against shore at weigall. Other results from the weekend?
Randomhouse

K

kbw

Well done to Grammar, I think they have the element of surprise, but well done.
A much more important result than the win last weekend

Random3

Frank Row (1)
HAHAHAHA Randomhouse are you serious that grammar team is not as good as you have talked them up to be, yes they played as a team but still no where up to this 16's competition the riverview team had C's players in there with many out they hadn't had a team run or training all week, they played the worst they have ever played. The ref making a few big decisions and not having a watch helped a lot, overall im still impressed with my favorites the winger for the riverview team will dutalis who had a great defensive game and attacking and with the inside centre for view tom mcbryde or as his mates were saying on the sideline concreate, didnt let anything through and lets hope the hooker pat weston is alright as he went of with what looked like a bad leg injury. Heard scots beat joeys good to see someone put them in their place. 12-12 view boys wont be happy with that

Status
Not open for further replies.