• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby U/16 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AusRugger

Game reports from yesterday?
I was lucky enough to be present at the Riverview - Kings 16A match yesterday. Riverview lost this match in the trials 32-5, so naturally I was expecting another big performance and win from Kings. A very hard-fought contest, Kings got the early lead and were up 7-0, before Riverview scored a try from a kick off the fullback out wide the the winger, to level the scores. The scoring was then even, with Kings going to 14-7, the 14-12, then 19-12, and 19-17. With only 5 minutes to play a superbly executed move from the Riverview backline saw the fullback go through a hole 40m out, and run through to score next to the posts. Converted, it put Riverview in front for the first time, 24-19. On the last play of the game, Kings fullback James Kane, notorious for his kicking game, did a double chip and chase down the sideline, regathering the ball to put it down near the corner, only to be pulled up for deliberately using his hand to knock the ball over the head of a riverview player whilst trying to regather, and it being called a knock on. This decision could easily have gone either way, but speaking to a number of referees after the game, they all agreed the right call had been made. Final Score: Riverview 24, Kings 19.

A very interesting result, considering View haven't won a GPS game yet, drawing with Grammer, who Kings downed by 30 points in their round. It also saw View end the undefeated streak of the Kings side. An undoubted man of the match performance goes to the Riverview no. 15. Vaughan, I heard he was called, was facing up against an opposite in James Kane with a massive kick, obvious size and aggression and a good rugby mind. For the view 15 to equal his performance, and being nearly half his size, is absolutely tremendous. Not only did he score the winning try, but he set up a view winger with a cross-field kick to score, made a try saving tackle on his opposite number only 5 meters out, and also judged every kick from Kane that came his way. Along with this, and helped by some outstanding backline work, he provided key counter-attack which got riverview over the line.

A privilege to watch, this game was my game of the season so far.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Scots went to Shore and found themselves in trouble early on with an intercept try and then a regathered kick with no fullback at home which saw the score go to 12-0 after 15 minutes. A try to prop Aiden Brown just before half time was unconverted and Shore went into the break up 12-5.
The second half saw a much better effort from Scots who scored two tries and a penalty to bring the fulltime score to 22-12. A try to the 5/8 was a great individual stepping run which he converted.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
GPS U16 As table (after Round 5)

2764371.jpg

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Results Round 5 (25-Aug)
Scots 22 d Shore 12
Riverview 24 d Kings 19
Joeys 24 d Grammar 7
NC bye

Rd 6 next week (1-Sep)
KvJ
NvE
GvS
I bye

S

Sydneybra

Not to do with the size... I never knew that his brother was Indigenous so it is new news to me. And is he a regular in that side or only filling in for 1sts players?

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Mitch and Lincoln come from Wellington NSW. If memory serves me right Mitch has represented Australia at polocrosse and Lincoln was a champion swimmer being a multiple medallist at Australian Age/Australian Schools at the age of 12?. Both terrific athletes and nice boys to go with it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unfancied Scots seem to be doing Ok, against many punters predictions.

Joeys and kings seem to have retained most of their U 16 rock stars in the GPS U16 comp while the rest seem to have promoted their U16 stars to Open grade.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
New beat Shore about 21-19 ( The Scoreboard was not being used)Their fowards were dominate and lethal when near the try line. Their backs were solid but by no means brilliant. Shore score two tries through ordinary defence from NEW backs. I know Shore supporters will point to the fact that a number of players are in the opens. But still the players and supporters were happy to see their first ever win over Shore.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
New beat Shore about 21-19 ( The Scoreboard was not being used)Their fowards were dominate and lethal when near the try line. Their backs were solid but by no means brilliant. Shore score two tries through ordinary defence from NEW backs. I know Shore supporters will point to the fact that a number of players are in the opens. But still the players and supporters were happy to see their first ever win over Shore.
I believe the score was 21-17 (2 conversions the difference). Every team has players out for one reason or another so must cope with what they have.

F

five five

Scots 29 - 10 v Grammar
Anyone know Joeys v Kings result?
So much for Scots not being a chance this season.

F

five five

Thanks for the update.
Subject to Joeys beating Shore that is, otherwise Scots can lose to Kings and still win outright

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Scots Boarders A/B/C beat TAS 19 - 12 in Armidale on the weekend in the last 60secs. Probably took that long to thaw out the -4 to 13 degrees.

Scots will miss Andy Leathem (prop) (Gordon and MNZ) who has undergone knee surgery.

Interesting to see Kings 16's F/B played on the wing in the 1sts and by the sound of it would have been better off in his age group, still, that is to be expected from the School which "doesn't recognise the 16's as a comp".

I can guarantee them that there are at least 95 year 9&10 boys around the GPS who treat it as a legitimate comp every week.

Looking forward to Scots V Kings and Joeys V Shore on the weekend.

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Joeys 15As beat Shore 45-0 remaining undefeated in Comp footy for 3 years. Looking forward to season 2013 when the Scots and Newington scholarship feeding frenzy will at least make it more competitive in the 16As.

Status
Not open for further replies.