• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CHS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
CHS II team list:
photo CHS IIs.JPG

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some D9 bulldozers in the CHS 1 forward pack.

Did they look fit?

(4) Vatuvei has been try scoring machine for Parramatta Colts 1 this year.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Some pics from the CHSI v CHSII and CHSI v CCC matches at Forshaw Park on Sunday (1-6-14):
The CHS lineout didn\'t loose any of their own and stole two of CCCs throws.JPGThe CHS I lineout was impressive won all their own and 2 CCC lineouts.JPGAndrew Vatuvei making another break mid-field.JPGCHS I had a lot of drive in the forwards.JPGCHS II v CHS I  - both scrums looked strong.jpgEd Craig having a run.JPGHarry Rowe to Ed Craig off a ruck.JPGLayton Tali for CHS I was hard to stop.JPGLayton Tali was an impact player for CHS I.JPGRamado Tuigamala was a very strong runner all day.JPGRomado Tuigamala doing what he did all day.JPG

CHS 2 should have been flogged by CHS 1, but they obviously lifted when up against the 1's, as so often happens when the 2's take on the 1's. [snip] CHS 1's seem to have improved in confidence and structures as the games went on, and they should provide a good game for CAS 1's on Thurdsay. Having to assemble kids from all over, the CHS machine usually takes a game or two to get going as the players get used to each others strengths and weaknesses, and the Coaches tactics, strategy and game plan. [snip]

Hugh is right that CHS II probably stepped on the gas for their half against CHS I, but I believe CHS I took a while to get going on the day, and certainly looked to play their best footy on the day v CCC. CHS I had a lot of drive in the forwards and the back looks pretty strong. They fluffed two or three opportunities to score, and Harry Rowe didn't have a good day with the boot, so they probably should have come away with a bigger difference at full time.

There was rain in the middle of the 18s matches which made the ball greasy and led to a lot of dropped ball on both sides. Layton Tali, Ramado Tuigamala and Andrew Vatuvei were all strong runners and made a number of line breaks each during the games. The CHS I lineout was impressive, winning all their own throws and stealing two CCC lineouts. The scrum was similarly dominant, although it looked to be a bit lighter than the CHS II and CCC scrums, they had good technique and won all their own feeds plus took two tight heads from CCC.

While good, CHSI will have to continue improving to put on a good show v CAS on Thursday, and improve further to come close to the GPS boys in a few weeks' time.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Some D9 bulldozers in the CHS 1 forward pack.

Did they look fit?

(4) Vatuvei has been try scoring machine for Parramatta Colts 1 this year.

They did look pretty fit (or at least as fit as their opposition). Vatuvei (4) was good, but he had some similarly impressive mates in Layton Tali (13) and Ramado Tuigamala (6) hitting it up all day (see above). Josh Thorndike (10) was also good to watch. The front row was very mobile which meant, with 6 and 7 (Storm Pasfield) also playing well, there was some clever work at the breakdown and a number of good turnovers throughout the game. They attacked well but needed to finish off a bit better. Their defence could probably do with some more structure and needs to be better for GPS. Thursday should be entertaining.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Got to Newcastle today and here's a few players that stood out for me, just on reflection and in no particular order - but I'm no selector.

The CHS opens teams will be on the CHS website (above) at some point. Program said final selections would be made after the final match today:

Cameron Goodacre - No.4 - Pennant Hills HS
Ezra Mololo - No. 3 - Randwick BHS - State squad
Andrew Vatuvei - No. 4 - Sarah Redfern HS - State squad
Ed Craig - No. 2 - Epping BHS State squad
Peter Ivic - No. 3 - Belmont HS - State squad
Tom Graham - No. 9 - Carlingford HS
Jason Kevern - No. 5 - Epping BHS
Leroy Bartlett - No. 15 - Newcastle HS - State squad
Bessie Aufaga - No. 17 - Cheater Hill HS
Romando Tuigamala - No. 5 - Sarah Redfern HS - State squad
Jack Conen - No. 15 - Blakehurst HS - State squad
Tully McPherson - No. 8 - Hills Sports HS - State squad
Harry Rowe - No. 9 - Hills Sports HS - State squad
Ethan Noonan - No. 10 - Figtree HS

Annotated following selections (65% correct - not too bad for a casual observer, even if I do say so myself :) )
Monty your stats just went up I understand Goodacre has been bought into the squad effective yesterday.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSWSRU U16 & U18 Selection Trials

NSWSRU U16 & U18 Trials @ Cranbrook
Thursday 5 June ‘14
CAS II V CHS II 1PM
CAS I V CHS I 2.30PM

NSWSRU U18 Trials @ Pittwater Rugby Park No.1
Sunday, 15 June ‘14
CHS II V CNTY 12.15PM
ISA II V CCC 1.30PM
ISA I V CHS I 2.45PM

NSWSRU U16 Trials @ Pittwater Rugby Park No.2
Sunday, 15 June ‘14
AICES U16 V CCC U16 11AM
CNTY U16 V AICES U16 11.30AM
CCC U16 V CNTY U16 12 NOON
ISA U16 V CHS U16 12.30PM
ISA U16 V CHS U16 1PM

NSWSRU U18 Trials @ The Scots College
Tuesday, 17 June ‘14
GPS (White) v GPS (Blue) @ 12.45pm
GPS 2 V CAS 2 @ 2pm
GPS 1 V CAS 1 @ 3.15pm

Friday 20th June - Curagul Field, North Turramurra
CAS II v Country 9:00am
ISA II v GPS (Blue) 10.15am
CCC v GPS (White) 11.30pm
CAS I v ISA I 12:45pm
CHS II v GPS II 2.00pm
CHS I v GPS I 3.15pm

NSWSRU 16s Championships & Selection Trials
Saturday 21st June – Curagul Field, North Turramurra
GAME 1
PRES XV A v PRES XV B 9:30am
GAME 2
ISA v Country 10:20am
GAME 3
CAS v AICES 11:10am
GAME 4
CHS v CCC Noon

Sunday 22nd June – Curagul Field, North Turramurra
GAME 5
Winner Game1 v Winner Game 2 9.00pm
GAME 6
Loser Game 1 v Loser Game 2 9.50pm
GAME 7
Winner Game 3 v Winner Game 4 10.40pm
GAME 8
Loser Game 3 v Loser Game 4 11.30pm
CUP FINAL
Loser Game 6 v Loser Game 8 12.30pm
BOWL FINAL
Winner Game 6 v Winner Game 8 1.30pm
PLATE FINAL
Loser Game 5 v Loser Game 7 2.30pm
SHIELD FINAL
Winner Game 5 v Winner Game 7 3.30pm

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
I did. Two good games. The score in 2s was a draw: CHS 26 - CAS 26. I can't comment on the game or players as I only saw the last few minutues.

The I's was a match of two halves. CAS came out very structured and looked well organised, and were by far the better side to start with. It looked for a while like it might have been a bit of a runaway at half time when the score was (I think) CAS 21-CHS 5. However, the CHS boys pulled up their socks and had a much better second half. They got a bit of verve going for a while and came back to a more respectable full time score of CAS 28 - CHS 19.

As Mr Jarse has commented earlier, the CHS boys often take a while to get it together as a team, and perhaps that was the problem today. It was also a bit greasy (didn't rain during the match, but the ground was wet from the morning rain) and there was a lot of dropped ball, but CHS seemed to fumble a bit more than CAS. The CHS backs really need some more work together as the back line really looked a little raggle-taggle compared to the CAS boys. Just basics - like passes falling short of the mark, taking a look and fumbling the catch, kicking a bit aimlessly neither to touch nor over their heads, etc.

The forwards matched it up pretty well and I think the CHS pack had it over CAS. They each won all their own scrums, but the CHS jumpers/lifters stole two CAS lineouts against the throw. Some great pilfering by the CHS forwards at crucial times in the match. CHS was camped on the CAS try line for 15-20 minutes in the second half but couldn't get the last pass off a number of times to get over the line. Some great defence from CAS.

The man of the match for each team (as voted by the opposition team/coaches) was #8 Nick Makas (Cranbrook) for CAS and #2 and captain Ed Craig (Epping Boys HS) for CHS. Both players worthy recipients for their performance on the day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thought it would be a piggies sort of day when the rain arrived this morning and the BOM radar showed tonnes of blue rain clouds.

The CHS boys (and coaches) seemed to be trying a "normal" game plan not wet weather footy. Keep it in close, grind it up, play for field position. Don't let the princesses anywhere near the ball.

I personally blame the Councils for this due to their propensity to close all sporting ovals at the first sign of rain. Our boys never get to experience wet conditions so how can we reasonably expect them to compete with NZ and UK where it rains all the time.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
I did. Two good games. The score in 2s was a draw: CHS 26 - CAS 26. I can't comment on the game or players as I only saw the last few minutues.

The I's was a match of two halves. CAS came out very structured and looked well organised, and were by far the better side to start with. It looked for a while like it might have been a bit of a runaway at half time when the score was (I think) CAS 21-CHS 5. However, the CHS boys pulled up their socks and had a much better second half. They got a bit of verve going for a while and came back to a more respectable full time score of CAS 28 - CHS 19.

{snip}

Thanks Sideline. Interested to hear other observations from anyone else who saw the match. Any would-be selectors with observations on performances in the CHS sides - standouts, ones to watch, State champs contenders...?

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Just found a nice write-p on the match from Lee Grant on the G&G web page with some observations on standouts: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/cas-beat-chs-in-first-nsw-schools-trial/

"The Players - CHS
* Hooker Ed Craig was their best player and was one of the most mature forwards on the field. His lineout throwing was outstanding and his go-forward helped his team get back into the game in the second half.
* Lock Andrew Vatuvei also was a mainstay in the comeback.
* Blindside flanker Romado Tuigamala was impressive working hard on and off the ball.

* Flyhalf Josh Thorndyke got better service in the second half and was a danger making breaks or attracting tacklers before offloading."

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Some photographs from yesterday's CAS v CHS match at Cranbrook:

#3 Jordan Lotoaniu, off the bench, made an impact.JPG
CHS #3 Jordan Lotoaniu, off the bench, made an impact
#2 Ed Craig on a trademark rampaging run.JPG
CHS #2 Ed Craig (skipper / MOTM for CHS) on a rampaging run
#4 Andrew Vatuvei was hard to bring down.JPG
CHS #4 Andrew Vatuvei was hard to bring down
#5 Will Finley couldn\'t quite get over the CAS line.JPG
CHS #5 Will Finley couldn't quite get over the CAS line
#8 Nick Makas (MOTM) making a break.JPG