• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW club rugby thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Naza - how about the commentators creaming over Davidson? Claiming he was as good as Hoiles? I sure hope they cleaned up that sticky mess in the commentry box afterwards.

Thought Fanifo had some nice touches though. Poor call from the ref to call back the break he created - that was not forward.

I found myself cheering for the hated Greens over the Evil Empire as well. What is the world coming to?

Oh, and did anyone even notice Hoiles on the park until he had to go off?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
You have to understand that the ABC crew is the ultimate 'spin it wide' mob. They loathe tight play & a contest for possession. Which is why they bang on about props scoring tries and love loose forwards like Davidson who play like centres in attack. I think Papworth said Hoiles and Davidson are 2 of the best footballers as forwards in the country.

I get what he means but guys like that are a luxury - when you're playing big forwards in the wet what you want is a big slab of beef to get you over the gain line, not a pretty boy. In saying that, Davidson is a hell of a defender with a terrific workrate. With Lyons & Elsom gone, wouldn't be surprised if the Tahs picked him up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They also hate scrum resets.

And that yappy little pretentious shit Toby Lawson is about as biased towards Uni as its possible to be - if Uni aren't there he'll support Easts, provided they're playing any side not in the Holy Triangle

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Toby Lawson is on the board of Easts. He just appreciates quality rugby, and Uni set the standard.

But yes, your loathing of the club rugby axis of evil has been duly noted. :D

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Hey lads, inform me of something. To what degree (from 0% to 100%) is the Kings v Joeys rivalry based on religion, do you think? I ask this as a Belfast ex-Protestant, I suppose. I went to a state school and often our hatred was based on class - either up (High) or down (Matraville).

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
All the choppers are bastards !

Both are catholic and all boarding, so yeah, the spite is there. But then again most of the GPS schools would reckon they have a rivalry with Joeys... :lmao:

I'd say Riverview and Joeys is more of a rivalry because of the North Shore thing and because Riverview were robbed !

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pretty sure Kings aint a catholic school, naza. Methinks you got your wires crossed - Joeys and Ignatius / Riverview are the 2 catholic GPS schools.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Right, Anglican and have day boys too..definitely more of a rivalry with Riverview and Joeys though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Religion doesn't play much of a role in Kings these days. Agree Joeys/View is a big rivalry, but more because they have been consistently the best two teams in the past 5 years. Shore/View is fairly intense too, with both schools on the North Shore and having the anglican/catholic thing going too.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
naza said:
You have to understand that the ABC crew is the ultimate 'spin it wide' mob. They loathe tight play & a contest for possession. Which is why they bang on about props scoring tries and love loose forwards like Davidson who play like centres in attack. I think Papworth said Hoiles and Davidson are 2 of the best footballers as forwards in the country.

I get what he means but guys like that are a luxury - when you're playing big forwards in the wet what you want is a big slab of beef to get you over the gain line, not a pretty boy. In saying that, Davidson is a hell of a defender with a terrific workrate. With Lyons & Elsom gone, wouldn't be surprised if the Tahs picked him up.

They were at least lamenting the loss of rucking from the game, I'll give them points for that. :thumb

If they were talking about Sydney club rugby the comment on Davidson wouldn't too far off the mark, he's a tower of strength for Uni. Pity that he's one of those blokes who looks like a man amongst boys at club level but just can't make the step up to S14 level, being a complete lightweight doesn't help his cause though.

How funny was the interview with Nasigav Navigas Nagis, hmm, Ratu 'next Lomu'. In these days of sportsmen and women media trained to within an inch of their lives and all crapping on with the same cliches it was good to hear a kid who's just excited to have been signed up by the Tah's, so many 'mates' and answers that bore no relevance to the question. :lmao:

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Scarfman said:
Hey lads, inform me of something. To what degree (from 0% to 100%) is the Kings v Joeys rivalry based on religion, do you think? I ask this as a Belfast ex-Protestant, I suppose. I went to a state school and often our hatred was based on class - either up (High) or down (Matraville).

Not religion as stated below. The main point of the rivalry stems from about 7 years ago when a big fuss was kicked up over Kings scholarship's being handed out although heavily denied by the school.

Then Kings v Joeys came down to the last match whoever won won the GPS premiership. ABC showed the game and they now classify this game as the "Greatest Schoolboy game in history" Kings were down by something like 20 points then Kings rallied back and ended up winning in the last few minutes.

This game produced many Waratahs etc. I can't remember the years each player was in but players included Marty Wilson,Will Caldwell,Dean Mumm,Mitch Chapman(Didn't play left at 15 to go to Brisbane),Halangahu,Batger(Scored 4 tries in that game), Benn Robinson and many others. This set a fuse and it still lights today producing a feirce rivalry.

This years King's team is similar but are not living up to repuatation at this point in time even with the scholarship's. See how we go though. The 16's at Kings will probably be better although a GPS premiership is expected this season at Parramatta.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JUST as I suspected.

Not a single mention of Yanuyanutawa.

You, gentlemen, have lost my respect.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Noddy said:
JUST as I suspected.

Not a single mention of Yanuyanutawa.

You, gentlemen, have lost my respect.

My shoulders are sore from carrying the load..I have to make up for all these Planet Rugby fairies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well he did bugger all against Randwick really. The other large dark-skinned prop he was up against had a better game I thought.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
NTA said:
Well he did bugger all against Randwick really. The other large dark-skinned prop he was up against had a better game I thought.

Who is the other prop as he would have been playing tighthead? How was his scrummaging technique? Did he have a good workrate around the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.