• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW club rugby thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Shame on you, but it is lifted for your being honest.

I'm afraid that the Rats aren't doing much better than the Rebels. Our 1st Grade team is usually decent enough except when our players are Forced ;D out of the team, but our lower grades are struggling big time.

Clubs have constraints about which players they can use. Thus teams are constrained from using a player from another club who played 10 or more games for the 1st club the year before, or is a S14 player. They can only have 2 of them in their current team.

This constraint for weaker 1st Grade teams could be lifted as could the constraints on using players ineligible for other reasons.

But these are just band aid solutions. The real solution is to grown the game in the weak areas.

But it's an old song I sing.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
For Easts Beasts fans - you there naza? - young Brumbies flyhalf, 17 y.o. Matt To'omua, the 2007 Oz schools no. 10, is starting in 1st grade against Randwick and Saia Fainga'a is playing hooker.
So how did Matt To'omua and Saia Fainga go Lee? Looking forward to see how To'omua goes at S14 level next year, being a year older and all that.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Can I get this off my chest? Oh, that's right, I can do whatever I want. :thumb

This is the reason I have never settled on a club to support. In chronological order:

Went to Manly-Warringah School, supported Manly-Warringah RL.
Went to Chatswood School, played U9, U10, U11 for Chatswood.
Went to North Sydney School, played for school.
Lived in Marsfield (same street as oval)
Lived in Bondi (across road from oval)
Lived in Maroubra (twice), father-in-law mad Gallopers fan.
Lived (a lot) in Inner West.
Played for UNSW, USyd.
Played in the Country Union.
Now live in Blue Mountains, work in Penrith.

I think that just leaves Southern Districts and Parramatta who I couldn't justifiably support.

Thanks, feels better to have that off my chest. The good thing is I can watch any club rugby game with equal interest.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
spectator said:
So how did Matt To'omua and Saia Fainga go Lee? Looking forward to see how To'omua goes at S14 level next year, being a year older and all that.

Dunno speckie. It wasn't the TV game and they didn't get a mention in the papers that I can remember.

It's is a good move for young Matt to come to Sydney to play his club rugby. Some of the clubs are duds but at least half the games he'll play will be good for his rugby.

You're right about him going to be better next year - and he will be better still the year after that. IMO he is the medium term flyhalf for the Brumbies and so long as he gets a bit of time in the next year or two the Brumbies could have a star on their hands. Then you and I will sit back in our lounge chairs watching him on TV, wag our heads and mutter to anybody who wants to listen: "I told you so."

But if he is a dud we won't mention anything.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scarfie,

No wonder you are a confused man, but since I spied the word "Warringah" on your CV you are required to be a fan of the Rats.

Not one-eyed or unbalanced in any way, just, when reporting what happened when the Rats have played a game, the unvarnished, unbiased truth.

As I do.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
From RH: http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/rathbone-gets-beasts-back-on-track/2008/07/06/1215282651323.html

The Beasts have had an inconsistent season this year, but promising victories in the past two weeks suggest they could be in the top six come finals time, says coach Scott Bowen.

While injuries have hindered Eastern Suburbs's campaign, Bowen feels his side has steadied after two consecutive wins. They moved within a point of the top six with a bonus-point ,43-15 victory over Eastwood at Woollahra Oval at the weekend. "If we keep on improving week to week, hopefully we can scrape into the top six," Bowen said.

"We've had an up-and-down season through injuries and other issues. But there's been good signs over the last two weeks and hopefully we can kick on. There have been positive signs. When you get the chance to play teams ranked around the same points as you, those victories are doubly important. It was really important to get that win against Eastwood."

Injury-plagued former Wallaby Clyde Rathbone scored two tries for the Beasts while Gavin Debartolo's 18-point haul with the boot pushed him past 100 points for the season. Bowen said he was satisfied with the team's performance, but expected more when they face Warringah in the next round.

"We played reasonably well yesterday," Bowen said. "It was a crunch game yesterday in terms of points. In the next round we will play the Rats, and it's a chance to either go level, or really kick ahead."

Warringah set up a big victory with four first-half tries over Northern Suburbs at North Sydney Oval. Warringah were never headed in running out 42-17 victors and indicated they'll be tough opponents for the Beasts. The Rats scored six tries to three, with Clint Eadie notching a personal haul of 17 points as they brought up their fourth victory from the past five rounds.

When Sevens star Willie Bishop scored with 25 minutes left in the game and Eadie kicked his sixth conversion from as many attempts, the Rats led 42-5 with 25 minutes left to play. To Norths' credit, they never gave in, and in the 72nd minute Corey Brown crossed for his second try. However, the diminutive fullback was shown a yellow card minutes later.

The Rats' victory helped them leapfrog Eastwood to fifth on the table, while Norths remain in 10th.

Sydney Uni, Gordon and West Harbour were the other top-six teams to pull off victories, but third-placed Randwick lost 28-29 at home to Manly.

No mention of Matt Tou'mua in the write-up unfortunately. Anyone know how he is going?

Full list of results: http://www.nswrugby.com.au/DrawsandCompetitions/TooheysNewShuteShield/Results.aspx

Eastern Suburbs 43 v Eastwood 15 Woollahra Oval
Gordon 40 v Penrith 15 Chatswood Oval
Northern Suburbs 17 v Warringah 42 North Sydney Oval / 4th NSO No.2
Parramatta 12 v Sydney University 40 Two Blues Park
West Harbour 47 v Southern Districts 43 Concord Oval
Randwick 28 v Manly 29 Coogee Oval

and the ladder..... http://www.nswrugby.com.au/DrawsandCompetitions/TooheysNewShuteShield/Ladder.aspx

1 Sydney University 14 13 0 1 497 235 262 8 1 9 61
2 Gordon 14 12 0 2 495 272 223 10 0 10 58
3 Randwick 14 9 1 4 486 347 139 9 2 11 49
4 West Harbour 14 9 0 5 509 467 42 12 1 13 49
5 Warringah 14 8 0 6 401 367 34 8 3 11 43
6 Eastwood 14 8 0 6 406 408 -2 8 0 8 40
7 Eastern Suburbs 14 7 0 7 434 349 85 8 3 11 39
8 Manly 14 6 0 8 331 338 -7 4 3 7 31
9 Parramatta 14 4 1 9 324 438 -114 7 3 10 28
10 Northern Suburbs 14 4 0 10 402 404 -2 6 2 8 24
11 Penrith 14 2 0 12 278 622 -344 7 1 8 16
12 Southern Districts 14 1 0 13 246 562 -316 2 3 5 9

W

whocares

How's Clyde Rathbone been playing? Any chance of a call up for the spring tour squad?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Dan Vickerman to make his come back through Club Rugby this weekend
July 08, 2008 - 4:30pm
Story by: ARU

Qantas Wallabies lock Dan Vickerman will make a comeback from injury this weekend as one of ten Wallabies being released by the national side to play Club Rugby.

Nine will feature in matches for their respective clubs in the New South Wales Shute Shield competition, while halfback Sam Cordingley will flex his skills for the Australian Barbarians against the Queensland Reds in a festival match on Sunday.

Vickerman, who is returning from an ankle injury, will turn out for competition leaders Sydney University in the Shute Shield in Sydney, alongside Dean Mumm, when they take on Northern Suburbs, featuring active prop Ben Alexander.

The other players taking part in Club Rugby this weekend in Sydney are prop Matt Dunning and winger Lachie Turner (Eastwood), Adam Freier (Randwick), Tatafu Polata-Nau (Parramatta), Brett Sheehan (Warringah) and flanker George Smith (Manly).

Polata-Nau (hand) and Dunning (corked thigh) like Vickerman are also coming off injury breaks.

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says the decision was based on their policy of securing players additional game time, outside of the national team environment, where it was needed to further their individual preparations for internationals.

Squad members are judged on a case by case basis in terms of what is best, both for the individuals concerned, and for the team.

The Qantas Wallabies are currently in camp at Manly but break up on Thursday afternoon, before reassembling in Perth on Sunday ahead of their Tri-Nations opener against South Africa at Subiaco on Saturday 19 July

W

whocares

Good to see TPN back in action. Hopefully he can at least come off the bench for the first 3N match. Vicks too. He better be in the starting side instead of Sharpe. Deans is going for the mongrel attitide so he might go for a Vicks-Horwill partnership. But we can only hope.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
whocares said:
Good to see TPN back in action. Hopefully he can at least come off the bench for the first 3N match. Vicks too. He better be in the starting side instead of Sharpe. Deans is going for the mongrel attitide so he might go for a Vicks-Horwill partnership. But we can only hope.

Not sure if it is mongrel attitude as much as guys who know what their job is and do it first without all the fancy crap. Leave that to the backs.

Back on topic it is great to see the mighty Harbour boys in the top four, hopefully they can give the comp a shake this year.

W

whocares

I thought Eastwood might have just scraped in to the top 4 with their win over Harbour but its just keeps slipping away. Sad

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Should be a good game Gordon v Eastwood on Saturday. It's the TV match.

Apparently Dunning is playing with his brother Josh (8) for the first time, Fitzpatrick is hooking, Turner is 15, Josh Holmes 9 and young Coridas 7.

Gordon doesn't have the stars but the have a good team of players.

It's a pity I'm in Canberra else I would have gone to see the Rats play Easts and put my eye over Matt To'omua at Rat Park.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Palu rejects euro lure

By Bret Harris
July 11, 2008

AUSTRALIA star Wycliff Palu has revealed he rejected a lucrative offer to play in France, at a time when players in both rugby codes are following the lure of big money to Europe.
At the start of the year when Palu was renegotiating his contract with the ARU and NSW, he received an offer from French club Clermont, which is coached by Robbie Deans' former Crusaders assistant, Vern Cotter.

But Palu, 25, had not achieved all of his goals in Australia.

"Clermont approached me at the start of the year," Palu said.

"I was in negotiation and stuff. They approached my manager and made an offer. A two to three-year deal.

"I took it pretty seriously. It was good money. A pretty good deal. I had just started to make a name for myself. I didn't want to go overseas and come back again. If I do go, I won't come back. It was too early in my career. I didn't want to have any regrets."

Palu, who has played 19 Tests since making his debut against England in 2006, is determined to cement his position as the Wallabies' first-choice number eight.

"My main goal is just to make the number eight jersey my own," Palu said.

"In the first two Tests (against Ireland and France), I was given an opportunity, but I didn't play as well as I could have. It's still up in the air.

"Hopefully after the Tri-Nations I'll make the number eight jersey my own."

A devastating ball-runner, Palu enjoyed a great Super 14 season with the Waratahs this year.

But he was quiet in the Wallabies' 18-12 win against Ireland in Melbourne and went off with a neck injury in the 34-13 win against France in Sydney, forcing him to miss the 40-10 win against Les Bleus in Brisbane.

"I want to take my Waratahs form into the Aussie team," Palu said.

"There is a big difference between Super 14 and Test rugby. Little things mean a lot. You can't afford to make mistakes or you will get punished. Also the pressure you are under."

The new style of play implemented by coach Robbie Deans should suit Palu's game.

"It's good. I'm really enjoying it," he said.

"A lot of the boys are, too. Play what is in front of you, bring to the table what you do best. But you have to do all the hard work first."

Palu has been cleared to play against the Springboks in Perth on Saturday week and will turn out for Manly against West Harbour at Manly Oval on Saturday to improve his match fitness.

"I could have played (against France last Saturday) if it was a World Cup final," Palu said.

"I'm playing half a game with Manly this weekend. Club rugby is good with the new laws. I'll be ready for South Africa.

"George Smith (Wallabies openside flanker) will play 12 (for Manly). I might play 10. Dummy and go."

Like everyone who has seen the Springboks' 19-8 loss to the All Blacks last Saturday, Palu was struck by the physicality and intensity of the contest.

But he was confident the Wallabies forwards would match the powerful Springboks pack.

"I caught a bit of the first half," Palu said. "It was a pretty physical game. The intensity was the main thing. It will be a step up from France."

Palu and Smith, who came off the bench against France, are expected to rejoin blindside flanker Rocky Elsom in the Wallabies' backrow against the Springboks.

The battle at the breakdown against South Africa's loose trio of Schalk Burger, Juan Smith and Joe van Niekerk is expected to be ferocious.

"We'll go well against their backrow," Palu said.

"In the Super 14, all the Australian sides went well under the new laws. All the boys are looking forward to it."

Palu, who is contracted until 2010, is yet to commit himself to the Wallabies' World Cup campaign in New Zealand in 2011.

"At the moment I'm just trying to focus on now," Palu said.

"I want to play good rugby with the Wallabies."

Hopefully, Palu will knock back any further European offers to help the Wallabies bring back the William Webb Ellis trophy.

More Wallabies back in club

W

whocares

Gordon 21 - Eastwood 20

Stand out for Eastwood was no. 15 John Grant
Anyone know where he's come from. The commentators said he's straight out of school.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My first ever game of rugby was for Chatswood U9s. So, I think that makes me a Highlanders supporter. I've just been waiting 30 years for a team that didn't suck.

Go boys! Kick Woodies arse!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
whocares said:
Gordon 21 - Eastwood 20

Anyone know where he's come from. The commentators said he's straight out of school.

Left Riverview in 2006. Didn't make NSW schools IIRC, but his size and boot were pretty good. Don't know if he is an amazing prospect, but with the lack of quality 15s at the moment you never know...

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
barbarian said:
whocares said:
Gordon 21 - Eastwood 20

Left Riverview in 2006. Didn't make NSW schools IIRC, but his size and boot were pretty good. Don't know if he is an amazing prospect, but with the lack of quality 15s at the moment you never know...

They mentioned he played Australian U19's. Good runner of the footy and athletic for a big bloke. If he bulked up a bit he could be something.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
From: http://www.nswrugby.com.au/DrawsandCompetitions/TooheysNewShuteShield/Results.aspx
Results:
Warringah 19 v Eastern Suburbs 22
Eastwood 24 v Gordon 20
Penrith 12 v Randwick 29
Sydney University 35 v Northern Suburbs 26
Southern Districts 12 v Parramatta 31
Manly 71 v West Harbour 17

Ladder:
1 Sydney University 15 14 0 1 532 261 271 9 1 10 66
2 Gordon 15 13 0 2 519 292 227 10 0 10 62
3 Randwick 15 10 1 4 515 359 156 10 2 12 54
4 West Harbour 15 9 0 6 526 538 -12 12 1 13 49
5 Warringah 15 8 0 7 420 389 31 8 4 12 44
6 Eastern Suburbs 15 8 0 7 456 368 88 8 3 11 43
7 Eastwood 15 8 0 7 426 432 -6 8 1 9 41
8 Manly 15 7 0 8 402 355 47 5 3 8 36
9 Parramatta 15 5 1 9 355 450 -95 8 3 11 33
10 Northern Suburbs 15 4 0 11 428 439 -11 7 2 9 25
11 Penrith 15 2 0 13 290 651 -361 7 1 8 16
12 Southern Districts 15 1 0 14 258 593 -335 2 3 5 9

I don't want to talk about a certain result and I'm sure Lindommer doesn't either.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
Aussie D said:
I don't want to talk about a certain result and I'm sure Lindommer doesn't either.

West Harbour haven't been too good the last 2 rounds have they. Only beating Southern by 4 and that flogging yesterday! :eek:

Eastwood have a bit of a production line churning out prop sized 12's?!?! That Corcoran bloke looks like he'd match Kersiano for size, although he looked to have a fair bit more pace than the Bus :lmao:

Also, what's the go with lineout throws, you're not allowed to fake a throw are you? Looked like Fitzpatrick was doing it all game when throwing in, a couple of little fakes before finally letting it go? :nta:

Status
Not open for further replies.