• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW club rugby thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I watched Rats v Randwick on ABC on Saturday and whilst the standard was low (compared to S14 / tests) it was a good game. I liked the ELVs (my first viewing) but didn't like the distinct lack of mauls and the fact they were getting pulled down all the time. Gutsy performance by Warringah and a good win in the end. The replacement Randwick winger for the injured Ratu looked good.

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/DrawsandCompetitions/TooheysNewShuteShield/Results.aspx

West Harbour 25 v Eastern Suburbs 62
Manly 26 v Gordon 38
Southern Districts 20 v Penrith 27
Eastwood 17 v Sydney University 29
Warringah 14 v Randwick 11
Northern Suburbs 37 v Parramatta 36

and the ladder....
1 Sydney University 19 17 0 2 697 310 387 12 1 13 81
2 Gordon 19 15 0 4 623 387 236 12 1 13 73
3 Randwick 19 12 1 6 638 434 204 12 4 16 66
4 Eastern Suburbs 19 12 0 7 652 414 238 12 3 15 63
5 Warringah 19 12 0 7 576 461 115 10 4 14 62
6 West Harbour 19 10 0 9 636 732 -96 13 1 14 54
7 Eastwood 19 9 0 10 569 570 -1 9 1 10 46
8 Manly 19 8 1 10 475 468 7 6 3 9 43
9 Parramatta 19 6 2 11 462 556 -94 10 5 15 43
10 Northern Suburbs 19 7 0 12 553 533 20 10 2 12 40
11 Penrith 19 3 0 16 356 901 -545 9 1 10 22
12 Southern Districts 19 1 0 18 297 768 -471 2 4 6 10

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Rats 14 ? Slime 11
How about them Rats beating the Green Slime ? Randwick?

It?s just as well Brett Sheehan pulled that 45 metre penalty kick from out of his bum with 2 minutes to go to win it for the Rats. It was amends for falling asleep at a Rats? scrum in the first half. The Randwick half back Phibbs, tidied the ball up for Sheehan as nice as pie, and took it about 40 metres to score.

The Slime?s ace goal kicker, Stephen Hoiles, missed the fairly easy conversion, but they were ahead 8-0 after 20 minutes.

And bloody hell, Clint Eadie got carted off needing spare ribs. I thought the Rats were goners because he?s a top club player and the goal kicker. Who ran on with a big blue thing around his thigh as the replacement but Mark Gerard, whose hamstring was so dodgy he didn?t start. He had to play because winger Willie Bishop from the Oz 7s team pulled out of the game on Saturday morning because of diarrhoea.

Prop Salesi Ma?afu had to go off with a sore back and Pingi T, who had played the whole game in 2nd grade, had to front up for another hour at that point. There was nobody happier to get a yellow card rest for a handbag push away than the young fella. It was in retaliation for Phibbs throwing fists. He had a rest also.

The Rats scrum got mullered and they had to make 186 tackles in the match. Despite missing a few of them they covered up the cracks all day and the Slime couldn?t get the pill over the line.

It was 8-8 and Sheehan put over a penalty with about 7 minutes to go, but straight after the Randwick flyhalf by the name of? Josh Valentine, kicked a sweet droppie to tie it up 11-11. Then came the winning penalty as described, when the dirty rotten Slime cheat, Ben Mowen, killed the pill once too often in the 78th minute.

Patrick Phibbs had a terrific game for Randwick but got a bad leg injury in the last play of the match and had to be assisted off the park by Brumbies team mate Gerrard from the angelic Rats. Phibbs was probably the MOTM in a losing team but his direct opponent Brett Sheehan was tops also.

That was a good effort from the home team after their unlucky 59-0 loss to the Slime in Rd.8, though it won?t stop biased Randwick supporters from whingeing that their injured winger Ratu Nasiganiyavi would have made a difference.

What?s he ever done against the mighty Rats?

Beasts 62 ? Pirates 25

Some may call that score showing off but geez the Beasties are going to give a bit of cheek in the finals with form like that. West Harbour is just about down and out and it won?t get any easier because Sidey is heading off this week to play in Wales where there be Dragons.

Gordon 39 Manly 26
Gordon, keep on playing above their weight and I keep waiting for them to be put back in their place, but except against Uni recently, they keep coming up with the wins.

It was a good effort for Manly to come back after being 0-26 down at oranges but they are playing good rugby by halves too much this year. What they need is 2 good halves in the same game. Apparently Leon Bott had some good touches but didn?t get much pill from his mates nor leeway from the Highlanders.

Penrith 27 Southern Districts 20

Despite a blinder from their 7 Terry Autagavia , there were too may arm tackles and too much indiscipline from the Rebels; so the men from the mountain got home. The only stir the Rebels will make this year will be with the wooden spoon.

Sydney Uni 29 Woodies 17
Eastwood were down 0-17 within as many minutes and were behind 0-29 at oranges. Then they scored 17 unanswered points in the 2nd half, including 3 tries. They dominated territory and possession, helped partly by a couple of cards to the students; but too many turnovers and a few injuries thwarted their efforts to overcome the deficit.

One of the Eastwood injuries activated the 2007 Oz A Schools no.8 Lachlan McCaffery from the bench. I thought he was a tad unlucky not to make the Oz Schools 1st XV and wonder how well he?ll go in his senior career.

Uni are 8 points ahead of the field now and cruising. Apparently the Uni front row is causing a lot of cheek in the scrums, Al Campbell played for 80 minutes in his comeback game and 8 Tim Davidson is making every post a winner to take over Lyons? Tahs? contract.

Norths 37 Two Blues 36
Bloody hell ? how stiff were Parramatta scoring 6 tries (including 2 to TPN) to 4 by Norths, but losing. The Norths hero was their 12 Chris Burnett who converted all their tries and kicked 3 penalties including one to take the lead on the bell. But at least Parra got 2 bonus points.

PS Uni are playing the Rats on Saturday night under their newly installed lights at No.1 Oval. Kick off is at 7:30pm. Good luck finding a park.

R

Rugby Rat

Home game this week for the Magnificent Galloping Greens. Get down to Coogee ovel and watch the 2008 Shute Shield winners in action.

As for the rest. Easts, Uni...PFFFTTT... Hardly worth a mention.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How is Lachlan Rosengreen going for Uni?

He looked the business a few years ago with the Aus 19s with Turner.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Rosengreen seems to be scoring tries for Uni coming off the bench. Would be interested to hear about him actually as when I saw him in HK a few years ago he looked quick but very slight and needed to fill out before being a threat at senior level.

Some interesting names starting this weekend. Mitch Hardy in the 2nd row for West Harbour. He obviously grew 6 inches and put on 30kgs over in Perth. Either that or its a different Mitch Hardy. Nick Batger and Ben Batger are both starting for Eastwood on the wings. Also Easts have picked an extremely mobile forward pack with essentially 5 back rowers with Egan and Stanford in the 2nd row.

R

Rugby Rat

Wooo Hoooo..

Go the mighty mighty WICKS.

Too big too strong !!!

Went for a wander over the hill today. Unfortunately had to leave at half time coz the girl was cold. Wasn't really expecting to end up there so she is forgiven.

Anyways saw the Wicks put 22 unanswered points in the Beasts.

Final score 34-17.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Randwick beat Easts. Pffft! Eastern Suburbs incest. Who cares? Today, ladies and gentlemen, those willing warriors from the west of Sydney, those magnificent maligned minnows, those classic conquerors from Concord, those princely rugby pugilists, the Pirates, beat Eastwood IN EVERY GRADE.

Top that! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lindommer said:
Randwick beat Easts. Pffft! Eastern Suburbs incest. Who cares? Today, ladies and gentlemen, those willing warriors from the west of Sydney, those magnificent maligned minnows, those classic conquerors from Concord, those princely rugby pugilists, the Pirates, beat Eastwood IN EVERY GRADE.

That would have meant something 5 years ago when Eastwood were good.

The Pirates can't defend. They'll be demolished in the semis. Pleasing turnaround though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes nice work you Pirates - must be Big Nasi's presence over there bringing the love ;)

As for Easts - looked promising for a moment but then they just missed that extra piece of talent. Oh and guts and commitment everywhere except the scrum. Gavin dB is even a screaming dud at club level. You can see opponents look up and go "There's three of us and two of them ... no wait, one of them is GdB - so its a 3-on-1 overlap!" Why did Brock go off?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Apologies for the break from my fav thread.

Rosengreen ? Not sure what your interest is. He's a fringe first grader. Quick with good footwork but is more the next Ryan Rogan than the next Alfi Mafi.

Rathbone may be racking up the meat pies but he's well off his best and down in confidence. Doesn't have his speed/explosiveness and knows it. Didn't see much of him in the Easts v Randwick clash but did see him get burned on the outside for a try by..wait for it..Tahs loosehead prop Sekope Kepu.

I look forward to the semi's and the Rats getting trounced but I fear nobody has an answer to the evildoers from Sydney Uni.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was a good effort from your boys Rugby Rat. I saw only the first half because I stuffed up my recording of the game, but in the 1st 40 minutes they looked like candidates to be cannon fodder for Uni in the Grand Final.

The Rats will be playing the Green Slime next week. The good guys don't have a great roster and no depth to speak of compared to other teams, but they are capable of pulling something out of their bums to beat sides with better credentials from time to time.

naza

Your Beasties have had a great run since their bloody ordinary start to the season, but were outplayed by the Green Slime yesterday. To be fair to your guys it was a bit much to have outside back Lloyd Jones playing fly half because of injuries to To'omua and the other fellow.

Incidentally - what do you think of young To'omua? I think that he's going to be a good prospect for Oz a few years down the track. I hope that he gets some run on games for the Brumbies next year. The further that Easts progress in the finals, the more opportunity he will have to impress the new Brumbies coach.

Agree on your comments above about Nasiganiyavi. It wasn't his best game that day but there were still hints of promise - and not just running with the ball either. He didn't play yesterday and if he is absent from the Rats match next week I will not be shedding too many tears.

Yeah Rathbone doesn't look that fast this year, though he looks in shape. Mind you, he's had a horrific trek back from injury and he could get something back.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The Rats under McKee play a style of football that is finals friendly and could cause an upset or two. It pains me to admit that but if they could topple Uni, all is forgiven !

A relief to see the Beasts make a bit of a comeback but they won't last long with that sort of performance. It was similar to the Wallaby performance later that night - headless chicken stuff. Randwick weren't that great, they just capitalised on the error rate of the Beasts. We'd returned to form on the back of some good defence but that fell apart a bit too easily. Nice that we're turning ball over at the breakdown though. Unfortunately you can see what the ELVs will do to lock forwards - its not big man friendly is it ?

I've never been a Rathbone fan myself. He never lost the South African trait of running into the man instead of into space. Probably why he's oft injured.

R

Rugby Rat

Put simply. The Beasts lacked size speed and game plan.

They were trounced. I picked one of the Easts weak spots in the first 5 minutes. This turned into 3 or four by halftime. It was reasonably easy stuff.

As for tryline defence the line the Beasts had nothing. A couple of fine tackles and then the ball was spun wide to a larger Wick player and a try was scored.

Valentine...Lifted his troops all day. His game is solid. The Wick forwards, a dominant bunch. They looked better at the breakdown against the Beasts than against the Woodies.

The Wicks backline defend all day and get the basics right with ball in hand.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Macka, you're kidding if you reckon Randwick look shit hot. Their execution is below their usual standard and other than Kepu, they're short of ball runners in the pack. Maile and Inman are crash ball meatheads - its rare to see Randwick without a playmaker or at least someone who can create space.

Easts were poor and Randwick still struggled to put them away. What WAS that 2nd half almost-comeback about ?

R

Rugby Rat

Not real sure as to the second half comeback by the Beasts.....Left at 22 -0. They sure turned it on for me tho.

Seriously, the Beasts had nothing in the first half to suggest they were top 4. The Woodies looked better.

Pretty simple stuff by the Wicks for their 22 points. Simply too big, too quick, too skillful , too smart and too strong.

PS... I will keep tight lipped as to the comeback. Like I said I had to go.
My apologies to the Wicks but the girl was cold. We just went for a wander and it gets mighty cool when the sun loses it's bite and the wind springs up.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ridiculous comment by Poido. South and Penriff are holding in by their fingernails and he's whinging about people poaching the odd player from Randwick ? Just cause a couple of clubs are strong doesn't mean club rugby is healthy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Heard a rumour that Subbies is going to be reshuffled due to many clubs fronting up with certain promises that they fail to deliver on during the season e.g. certain North Shore clubs got into their respective divisions based on their player signup, but then had massive dropoff early in the season and essentially forfeited whole grades for long stretches of the season.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Think it is overdue that a few grades are culled, think they should only have 2 grades, 21s,19s, 17s, 15s and 13s. IMHO club rugby should be played on Sundays as it may attract more fans as a lot of guys in Subbies would probably enjoy going along and watching the likes of Randwick and West Harbour run around.

R

Rugby Rat

Nah...5 grades.

Also if your club can't attract players then it ain't a bigger club's problem I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.