• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW club rugby thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If he's in a position of responsibility it would explain a lot about Gordon's run of outs in the past 10 years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have just had time to look at my recording of the TV game. Geez Easts hammered the poor old Manly team. The Dolphins had come good after a horrid start to the season but naza's Beasts brought them back to cruel reality 43-3 at the Cow Paddock. I thought the Beasts were out of the comp a while back because they were Beasts only in name, but it looks like they are hitting their straps at the right time of the year.

It just goes to show that a big booffy pack is still relevant under the ELVs, provided they can get around the park a bit like lock Tom Egan and 8 Richard Stanford, both of whom I've always rated.

And "D-Bart" - what a player at club level. When you look at the Easts fullback you think that he's a sure S14 player but despite having a year in the Force squad and scoring one of his trademark chip and chase tries, there wasn't a lot of interest afterwards. He won't be eligible now anyway since he signed up for the USA team. He must have a relative that qualifies him.

I thought young Matt To'omua looked good in the first game I had seen him start in since he left school. The 18 y.o. Queenslander has a good pass both ways in front of the receiver and put in a couple of good wiper kicks. As spectator has said: he is not the fastest young flyhalf running around but nevertheless I think he will supersede Lealiifano at the Brumbies, if not in 2009, then the year after.

How about them Rats, beating Eastwood 53-21 at TG Milner? The Woodies looked crap when I saw them against Randwick the week before but I didn't expect my Ratties to smack them by 30+. Gerrard and Ma'afu were listed to play but they both got knocks playing for a Tongan XV during the week and pulled out.

Bloody hell, I bet the Rats coach, John McKee, was not a happy camper to hear that. I wonder if they were brave enough to tell old granite head face to face? I would have sent him an e-mail.

Apparently it was an arm wrestle for the first quarter but then Woodies winger Jesse Leota was badly injured and it took them a while to prepare him safely to cart him off. Let's all hope that he's OK.

After that break the Rats took control apparently, and Sheehan had a blinder - a frequent occurrence at this level of footie, I can tell ya. By all reports 6 Richard Brown from the Force and 12 Clint Eadie both starred as well.

Parramatta 17 Randwick 10

The two Blues must not have thumbed through the scrapbooks of the Randwick team because if they had they would have realised they were no hope. This is a good result for Sydney club rugby unless you are a Wicks fan. It makes up for the poor showing of Penrith and Southern Districts.

I wonder if Two Blues lock Steve Mafi is being offered a Tahs contract? He's in the NSW Academy but not as a pro. But I digress.

The Rats are playing the Galloping Greens next week at Rat Park. Randwick had a lucky win against us 50-0 the last time we played them and there will be a few at the Rats Nest wanting a bit of revenge.

Plan A would be to whack big Ratu across the shins with a baseball bat as soon as he gets out of his car. He scored a dozen tries against us last time.

Was going to see Joeys play Scots but may go up the road to Rat Park to see this one if it is not the TV game.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Lee, How did Lloyd Jones go for the beasts. Saw he scored a try at the end but any report on his general play would be nice.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee,

Shute Shield Televised Round
Round 19: Warringah v Randwick, 3pm Saturday August 9 from Pittwater Oval

Although rather bemusingly Gordon on thier website have :

The next two Games are the ABCTV Match of the Round so if you cant make it down to Manly Oval or out to Concord, you can catch the action on ABC.

R

Rugby Rat

I will be at Rat park if the surf's not so good. Be great to see Randwick bounce back with a huge win.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
the gambler said:
Lee, How did Lloyd Jones go for the beasts. Saw he scored a try at the end but any report on his general play would be nice.

He went OK without being outstanding. He's a fine young player who was listed to play on the wing but had to play 13 when LaVin pulled out. "D-Bart" and Tom Azar were the best of the backs but they got great service from flyhalf To'omua.

AD

If the Rats game is on TV I will probably record it and go to the Joeys game. Scots got trounced by Shore in Rd 1 but got beaten by Kings by just 1 point in Rd 2 and by Iggies by 2 points only in Rd 3.

2 years ago at Scots Joeys nearly got rolled. Beale was injured as was the 12. The whole backline was re-jigged. The flanker played scrummie and the 9 played 10. They'll be tough.

But I digress.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ash said:
What is Tom Egan doing at lock?

Jumping in the lineouts, galloping around the park, looking ugly - the usual lock stuff. :D :D :D

Seriously he's been playing there a lot in the last couple of months when he's been healthy. I guess part of that is because Byrnes was out for a while. Stanford has been out for ages also, but interestingly played at 8 on Saturday.

If everybody is healthy a 4 to 8 profile of 4. Adam Brynes, 5. Matt McGann/Ed Brenac, 6 Richard Stanford 7.Tim McGann, 8. Tom Egan would be formidable for the Beasts.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
I thought young Matt To'omua looked good in the first game I had seen him start in since he left school. The 18 y.o. Queenslander has a good pass both ways in front of the receiver and put in a couple of good wiper kicks. As spectator has said: he is not the fastest young flyhalf running around but nevertheless I think he will supersede Lealiifano at the Brumbies, if not in 2009, then the year after.
Lee - Good to see young Matt making an impression in Sydney. He certainly knew how to control a game at junior level and like you I have no doubt he will be doing it at S14 level before too long. Can you remember the OZ A captain and number 10 from last year? Jonno Lance, son of Dean Lance of Raiders fame. He is another old style 10 who I understand may have picked up a reds Academy spot and another who I am predicting we will see a bit more of in the next few years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
speckie,

I remember him as a 12, not a 10, but can barely recall how he played anyway.

PS Edit - That's the danger of watching Schools tournaments and making assessments of the lads, especially if they are not local players. Some of them in key positions take your eye and you think: this bloke is a future S14 player, but a couple of years later it is his team mate who didn't stand out in the 2 tournament games that you saw him play in, that gets senior honours.

Nobody who saw Quade Cooper in the 2006 Schools tournament, and didn't know about his reputation, would have thought he would be playing for the Reds just over 6 months later.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
speckie,

I remember him as a 12, not a 10, but can barely recall how he played anyway.

PS Edit - That's the danger of watching Schools tournaments and making assessments of the lads, especially if they are not local players. Some of them in key positions take your eye and you think: this bloke is a future S14 player, but a couple of years later it is his team mate who didn't stand out in the 2 tournament games that you saw him play in, that gets senior honours.

Nobody who saw Quade Cooper in the 2006 Schools tournament, and didn't know about his reputation, would have thought he would be playing for the Reds just over 6 months later.
LG - I think you are right because as a 10 he was behind To'omua and O'Connor for rep stuff last year, so converted to 12 because he was too good to leave out. He was injured early in last years tourney so you wouldn't have had a good chance to look at him. Anway's he has made the Qld touring team to Ireland so further discussion on him will now be in the Qld thread.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Should be a good round 19

Rats v Randwick

Warringah had a great win over the Woodies last week. Gerrardo is still out with the hamstring strain he got in the Tonga game which was put on in honour of the coronation of the Tongan king, but THP Ma'afu, who got injured in the same game, returns. Ross Duncan is back from injury for the Rats but the name of Force back rower Richard Brown is missing from the team sheet.

Randwick will be happy to have Turinui returning after their loss to Parramatta last week. Josh Valentine will play flyhalf again and get service from scrummie Phibbs.

Geez having big Ratu and Morgs in the same opposing team will make a few Rats and their fans nervous. In their earlier match this year Ratu (who should be playing for Warringah with a name like that) was lucky enough to score 4 tries against the Rats after defenders tripped over before they could nail him. And a few years ago Turinui scored 6 flukey tries in one afternoon at Rat Park. [It may seem that 6 tries is a good effort but in my book it is showing off.]

Easts v Pirates
The Beasts these days are chewing up their prey and spitting out the bones, whereas the Pirates, after plundering a few other outfits earlier in the season, are walking the plank and have to turn around to get back on board. Tahu is back for Wests and hopefully his team mates will remember that they were good enough to beat Easts earlier this season.

Manly v Gordon
Looks like Manly, who pulled their shorts down in the TV game last week and bent over for the Beasts to have their way with them, are no hope of getting in the final 6 now. Gordon, who play better than the weight of their scrapbooks would indicate, except when they get rolled by Uni, have played some good rugby this year thanks in part to coach Fear who was poached from the Rats. They should get the bikkies in this one.

Woo-hoo - playing 11 for Manly is Leon Bott who played for Oz Schools in 2004 but went to the Broncos from school. Welcome back to the game they play in heaven son. Manly's scrummie Paddy Pearce was injured last Saturday so the Dolphins flyhalf of recent times, Josh Gamgee, will wear the 9 jersey which he did playing for Gordon. The flyhalf you ask? Tyrone Smith, the Brumbies 12 !!!

Southerns v Penrith
This is the battle for the wooden spoon. The home team with the S14 front row are the biggest under achievers in the comp and haven't won since Rd.3. Penrith are capable of a good game now and then and should get up.

Eastwood v Sydney Uni
Despite the might Dunning playing LHP, Coridas at 8 and the excellent footie player Hugh Perrett at 7 it's Uni by how many. John Grant is switched to the Woodies wing and Al Campbell is back for Uni.

Norths v Parramatta
Norths have had a shocking season but they will be glad to get Ben Alexander back. Peter Kimlin is playing lock and SNK goes to flyhalf.

I'd fancy the Two Blues though after holding on against the Green Slime last week after leading 17-0 at oranges.

speckie - thanks for that about young Lance - Good blood lines. Will look forward to watching his progress in the near future.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
Woo-hoo - playing 11 for Manly is Leon Bott who played for Oz Schools in 2004 but went to the Broncos from school. Welcome back to the game they play in heaven son.

Dirty rotten poaching Marlins. Leon's a Wests junior, picked for Australian Schoolboys in 2003 from juniors and again in 2004 while playing 1st grade Colts for the Pirates. He's a product of Westfields Sports HS and has played for the Broncos, Sharks and Bulldogs since leaving school. The kid's got serious speed, be nice to see him settle down somewhere. Possibly back at Concord.

R

Rugby Rat

The Rat's pre game comments.

The Best.

Just how great is going to be to see big Turi line up for the Galloping Greens this weekend ? Awesome. Everyone has time for the big lad and he will shred holes in The Rats.

The Green magic were a little suprised last week after their two big wins at home. They will regroup and dust this Rat's outfit.

Randwick by 15

Randwick: 1. Sekope Kepu, 2. Adam Freier [c], 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Mat Whittleston, 5. Mark Chisholm; 6. Chris Houston, 7. Ben Mowen, 8. Stephen Hoiles; 9. Patrick Phibbs, 10. Josh Valentine; 11. Ratu Nasiganiyavi, 12. Morgan Turinui, 13. Metui Maile, 14. Francis Fainifo; 15. Matt Nethery. Ratu apparently "Doubtful".

The rest

Don't be suprised to see Eastwood turn up this week. When I watched them at Coogee their front rower looked straight out of the under 16's. The addition of Dunning is huge. Not a big side yet they can get around the park and are quick to snatch anything loose. Still... Uni by a few but not that many for mine. Usually what I say when I get home from the pub legless. " A few but not really that many" Takes me 10 - 12 to get happy so I'll go with Uni by 11.

Gordon
Easts
Norths
Southern

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lindommer

At least he has seen the light and is playing in God's Country.

It's a short trip from Manly Oval to Rat Park - and who wants to play on cricket pitches most of the time?

RR

Big Turi?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah I knew who it was but hadn't heard the Turi bit before.

Turi's Newie? I like it.

If only we could get Morgs a pie sponsorship, he would make a bundle.

Vilis? No ryhme

4 and 20? Ditto

Mrs Macs Morgs? Closer but weak.

Now if there's a pie starting with T we could get some alliteration with Turnstile and Turinui.

Still working on it.

R

Rugby Rat

I like a good mexican pie from the Randwick Bakery so...

It could be Morgan's Mexicana.

Or perhap's if you like a plainer version of the pie...Morgan's Mighty Massive Meat Munchie

If you prefer the T's ... Turinui's Tastie Tummy EnTicer...

R

Rugby Rat

Randwick lost again. :nta: Attack gone AWOL ?

Home game this weekend. Might change their fortunes. Missed the game as I was enjoying a nice little 2-3 foot swell in Sydney's south. Will wander over the hill this weekend to Coogee oval.

Woodies went down by 12. It's always that last one that does it !!! :lmao: I will stop at 11 from now on.

No real upsets. Parra went down by 1 ( 36-37) and Penrith had a win over Southerns 27-20.

Will leave it to Lee for the summaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.